Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
48%
yes
28%
yes
25%

Total votes: 80

KingFish

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby KingFish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:41 pm

The Bean wrote:Maybe the type that gets into HYS Law are more likely to choose academia or public interest while the less intellectual just want to be corporate drones?

The Bean wrote:Basically you should all pat yourselves on the back for applying during a weak cycle.

You come across as a dick.

The Bean

Postby The Bean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Ironic much?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:42 pm

sinfiery wrote:Very updated avg UG LSAT based on school reports

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... DNSbUNtZ1E

this data range must be smaller or something. how did you generate this spreadsheet? This list completely dropped Williams, Pomona, CMC, and a bunch of LACs (who probably have lower #'s of applicants due to small class size) from the list

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:48 pm

KingFish wrote:
The Bean wrote:Maybe the type that gets into HYS Law are more likely to choose academia or public interest while the less intellectual just want to be corporate drones?

The Bean wrote:Basically you should all pat yourselves on the back for applying during a weak cycle.

You come across as a dick.

Saying people who go to Harvard Law are "more intellectual" than those who matriculate to Columbia is literally just trolling and being a dick, not to mention you are in the columbia reserve thread (just realized what thread I've been posting in and that I'm in the wrong place, oops but I guess I can welcome you when you all get in). No offense to all of us, but most of those who go to CLS would attend HY if admitted, so... this has nothing to do with school preference and much more to do with admission qualifications (read: 2 questions on a single test + a one bad semester).

Also despite whatever reputation has been falsely offered on TLS, Columbia is not all corporate jags, its a diverse (albeit competitive) community with a lot of grads doing cool work around the world. Do Yale law kids get some opportunities we won't have? Certainly. Does that mean we would disclaim those opportunities were they offered? not at all.

nextstep222

Postby nextstep222 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Do Yale law kids get some opportunities we won't have?

#newhaven

and I don't even care if I get banned

The Bean

Postby The Bean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Over the top statements are often meant as sarcasm?

In all seriousness, it was a weak cycle, applications were down across the board. I'm certainly glad I applied this cycle.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 pm

The Bean wrote:Over the top statements are often meant as sarcasm?

In all seriousness, it was a weak cycle, applications were down across the board. I'm certainly glad I applied this cycle.

I didn't realize you are a CLSer. Sorry. I figured you were just stopping by to make a snaky comment. Now that I've seen your post history its easier to see that you were being sarcastic.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 pm

KingFish wrote:
The Bean wrote:Over the top statements are often meant as sarcasm?

I didn't realize you are a CLSer. Sorry. I figured you were just stopping by to make a snaky comment. Now that I've seen your post history its easier to see that you were being sarcastic.

Totally missed that too, expected Kingfish to have screened it already for me lol. MY BAD go cls!

The Bean

Postby The Bean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 pm

No worries! Carry on.

Splitters Creek

Postby Splitters Creek » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:07 am

So is the consensus here that if you get a call, you're likely to get in?

For what it's worth, on the 2nd reserve continued interest page, if you swap out "june" for "july" you get a page for the 3rd reserve period. :shock:

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:23 am

Splitters Creek wrote:So is the consensus here that if you get a call, you're likely to get in?

Likely, yes. Guaranteed, no. A much safer statement is to say that you are not getting in without the call (I haven't heard of anyone who has). In other words, the call is a necessary but not sufficient condition for acceptance.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:22 am

In! Give me a moment to get this out of my system and then I'll post any relevant details for people still waiting. This is a couple hours shy of 2 days since my interview, though, so they might be moving faster now.

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

Last edited by JuniperCreekEsq on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:28 am

Ok, off the current topic, have any recent reserve admits been given their housing assignments yet? I just got mine, and apparently I'm set up in the general grad student housing (with a guy from the business school and a guy getting his masters of architecture).

Have you guys been able to get law student housing? Or is this in virtue of something wacky I put on my application? I asked for cheaper end, which I got, but I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more per month if I could get in the law housing.

I was shooting for one on the 115th street 400 block, but I'm on 114th instead.
Last edited by StillIll on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am

lunaraeon wrote:In! Give me a moment to get this out of my system and then I'll post any relevant details for people still waiting. This is a couple hours shy of 2 days since my interview, though, so they might be moving faster now.

Congrats!

Also be sure to confirm if you will be attending or not.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Congrats!

Is it a gross transgression to refer to the "reserve" group as a "waitlist"? I did that in an LOCI, and I'm SURE that's why I haven't heard back yet ;) In all seriousness, it's the only error I've caught this entire process and I'm going to cry myself to sleep about it.

I applied to NYU and referred to them as New York Law School aka NYLS and it turned out fine. You made a boo boo but mine was like a war crime, I'm sure the admissions office is just dragging their feet. Check your spam folder!

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 am

I think saying "waitlist" is probably fine. :)

This will be a stream of things but I hope some is helpful for those waiting: I'm a white male, international, 3.49/179 with significant grade difference between my first two years and my final third year. I sent in a report of my final winter grades once I had them, with a small blurb speaking to the suitability of the material/courses for predicting my academic abilities. They were my highest semester in university, and just off the best I could have done, so that helped my case. I submitted a LOCI around when the first calls were being made. It covered: commitment to attend, a visit I made in October and a story about a student I met, detail of specific programs I wanted to have access to that are unique to Columbia, my summer job and its links to law (tenuous), short explanation of how my grades demonstrated my suitability and a small allusion to my PS and my diversity, and then a restatement of my commitment. When I hadn't heard anything about 2nd reserve, I sent an email to confirm my email was correct (^^;) and included a short statement expressing continued commitment to attend. Replied super quick to the conversation email and had an early slot on Wednesday.

My interview with Jeb had these questions: What sparked your interest in [x activity that I talked about in my PS] and how have you grown doing it in uni, what was good about your [job with the student's society in the last semester], tell me about [other different job I had within the university the year prior], how did you balance all your ECs and school [he felt my major was difficult and that my ECs were time consuming], what challenges do you think you'll face at CLS because of [x trait that is big to me and was the central aspect of my PS but I'd rather not say what], how did you decide on your undergraduate major, do you have any idea what kind of law you want to do, would you attend and what are your current fall plans.

I didn't think I answered the question about the challenges I would face very well, and I didn't get enough time to talk about how only my third year was representative, grades-wise, so when I wrote my thank you email after the call, I included a short blurb and example to strengthen both ideas. The dean called me about the offer, and for what it's worth she told me Jeb really enjoyed talking with me and would be excited to hear I was accepting.

I'll be attending--really good luck to everyone else!

Edit: Aw, they put a note on the bottom of my letter and underlined "enthusiasm". ^^

StillIll wrote:Ok, off the current topic, have any recent reserve admits been given their housing assignments yet? I just got mine, and apparently I'm set up in the general grad student housing (with a guy from the business school and a guy getting his masters of architecture).

Have you guys been able to get law student housing? Or is this in virtue of something wacky I put on my application? I asked for cheaper end, which I got, but I would be willing to pay a couple hundred more per month if I could get in the law housing.

I'll let you know once I hear back about housing, as I have the same preferences.
Last edited by lunaraeon on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 am

Tekrul wrote:

Is it a gross transgression to refer to the "reserve" group as a "waitlist"? I did that in an LOCI, and I'm SURE that's why I haven't heard back yet ;) In all seriousness, it's the only error I've caught this entire process and I'm going to cry myself to sleep about it.

I applied to NYU and referred to them as New York Law School aka NYLS and it turned out fine. You made a boo boo but mine was like a war crime, I'm sure the admissions office is just dragging their feet. Check your spam folder!

Ah, perspective. Domo arigato.

nextstep222

Postby nextstep222 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:24 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
Tekrul wrote:

Ah, perspective. Domo arigato.

The only post regarding a waitlist that actually made me laugh out loud. Keep it coming, guys.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm

StillIll wrote:Ok, off the current topic, have any recent reserve admits been given their housing assignments yet? I just got mine, and apparently I'm set up in the general grad student housing (with a guy from the business school and a guy getting his masters of architecture).

WHAT WHY DID YOU GET A HOUSING ASSIGNMENT BEFORE ME

I submitted my deposit Friday morning, it took them until Tuesday to send me the info for the housing app, which I filed immediately, and it's been three days of nothing since then. Am I just being skipped over for the more recent admits for shits and giggles?

CLS, I KNOW you're reading this. My parents are breathing down my neck asking if I got an apartment yet and I don't know how many more times I can tell them I already did everything I was supposed to.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:49 pm

lunaraeon wrote:I'm a white male, international, 3.49/179

I'm confused as to what took them until late June to admit you, considering they admitted eight other splitters, all of whom had lower numbers than you. If you make enough sarcastic remarks and obscure references to movies and television in the C/O 2016 thread, I'll invite you over to my apartment for beerz.

Of course, that presumes that the Housing Office EVER ASSIGNS ME A MOTHERFUDGING APARTMENT.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

I submitted my deposit Friday morning, it took them until Tuesday to send me the info for the housing app, which I filed immediately, and it's been three days of nothing since then. Am I just being skipped over for the more recent admits for shits and giggles?

CLS, I KNOW you're reading this. My parents are breathing down my neck asking if I got an apartment yet and I don't know how many more times I can tell them I already did everything I was supposed to.

If you remember, I got my admission offer just before you. Lol. And my housing app was sent in a week ago yesterday. So it took a while. Let me know what you get. What did you request?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:50 pm

StillIll wrote:

If you remember, I got my admission offer just before you. Lol. And my housing app was sent in a week ago yesterday. So it took a while. Let me know what you get. What did you request?

Okay. That stretches out my "I'm gonna throw things if I don't get an assignment" timetable. Hoping for Lenfest, but it might be totally full at this point. Told Juliana Utley that I would take anything as long as it was a single and it was in Morningside Heights.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:00 pm

StillIll wrote:

Okay. That stretches out my "I'm gonna throw things if I don't get an assignment" timetable. Hoping for Lenfest, but it might be totally full at this point. Told Juliana Utley that I would take anything as long as it was a single and it was in Morningside Heights.

Ahh Lenfest. That'd be a sick pad man. A little out of my price range. I found out the room I'm set up in now is 133 sq ft LOL. So don't forget about us more... 'condensed'... classmates.

And you're smart. I should have called and spoken with her directly instead of leaving it to this application. Now I'm desperately trying to get ahold of her, to no avail thus far.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:30 pm

lunaraeon wrote:I'm a white male, international, 3.49/179

I'm confused as to what took them until late June to admit you, considering they admitted eight other splitters, all of whom had lower numbers than you. If you make enough sarcastic remarks and obscure references to movies and television in the C/O 2016 thread, I'll invite you over to my apartment for beerz.

Of course, that presumes that the Housing Office EVER ASSIGNS ME A MOTHERFUDGING APARTMENT.

I'm probably just more boring, haha, or maybe it's because they needed to see my final grades and a LOCI. Prior to that final semester, I was a 3.4 with only one worthwhile semester so no proven trend. They admitted me early enough that it causes me no problems, so I'm happy regardless.
I would love to come over for beers, in fact I'd prefer it as I won't be legal in NY until a couple months in... ^^" (This is probably completely outing me but whatever.) I'll make obscure references to sarcastic remarks, just to keep it interesting. Deal?

StillIll wrote:Ahh Lenfest. That'd be a sick pad man. A little out of my price range. I found out the room I'm set up in now is 133 sq ft LOL. So don't forget about us more... 'condensed'... classmates.

And you're smart. I should have called and spoken with her directly instead of leaving it to this application. Now I'm desperately trying to get ahold of her, to no avail thus far.

Even by telephone? I emailed to avoid long distance but I'm thinking getting the process started might be worth calling...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”