Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
48%
yes
28%
yes
25%

Total votes: 80

eomea5

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby eomea5 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm

syd625 wrote:Has anyone on the east coast still not heard anything? I'm in the mid-atlantic and haven't received a second reserve email or the expected snail mail ding.

when you applied to columbia did you list a "summer" address on your application? thats what i had done and forgotten about it - found nothing in my mailbox and no email until I called my dad and he said that a letter from columbia had arrived at his house.

ruru

Postby ruru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 pm

syd625 wrote:Has anyone on the east coast still not heard anything? I'm in the mid-atlantic and haven't received a second reserve email or the expected snail mail ding.

Ditto, I'm in DC. I checked all the possible mailboxes the letter could have come to... my apt., my parents, my bros (address I said would be my address over the summer just in case I moved from my apt. to get ready to move to school)... nothing... unless its in the mail today

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 pm

ruru wrote:

Ditto, I'm in DC. I checked all the possible mailboxes the letter could have come to... my apt., my parents, my bros (address I said would be my address over the summer just in case I moved from my apt. to get ready to move to school)... nothing... unless its in the mail today

fwiw people were reporting the letter I think Thursday or friday? I live in NYC region (typically would receive same as someone in NYC) and I didn't get it until monday. It would have definitely come Saturday if send Wed like the rest of them.

So don't worry - there's plenty of time to be dinged

syd625

Postby syd625 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:44 pm

toothbrush wrote:fwiw people were reporting the letter I think Thursday or friday? I live in NYC region (typically would receive same as someone in NYC) and I didn't get it until monday. It would have definitely come Saturday if send Wed like the rest of them.

That makes sense. I only have one address listed so that's not the issue. I seem to be on the tail end of all notice waves at Columbia, so it figures that I'd have to wait longer for the snail mail ding, too. Thanks!

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:54 pm

syd625 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:fwiw people were reporting the letter I think Thursday or friday? I live in NYC region (typically would receive same as someone in NYC) and I didn't get it until monday. It would have definitely come Saturday if send Wed like the rest of them.

That makes sense. I only have one address listed so that's not the issue. I seem to be on the tail end of all notice waves at Columbia, so it figures that I'd have to wait longer for the snail mail ding, too. Thanks!

this thread is depressing as fuck

stone_fox

Postby stone_fox » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:07 pm

toothbrush wrote:this thread is depressing as fuck

shakespeare

Postby shakespeare » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Any idea how large the Second Reserve group is?

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:49 pm

toothbrush wrote:
syd625 wrote:

this thread is depressing as fuck

Really depressing. Sorry about the recent wave of rejections.

Congrats to all the recent admits too.

Sitting on second reserve. Just checking in.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:05 pm

shakespeare wrote:Any idea how large the Second Reserve group is?

In recent years, it was rumored that the first reserve went 500 deep and each cut was about half of the remaining group. That would imply the second reserve is usually around 250, but keep in mind WL numbers are up across the board. Wouldn't be surprised if it went over 300 this year.

A lot of people for, based on historical data, fewer than 10 more acceptances that are going to be doled out.

scoutmaster

Postby scoutmaster » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 pm

How many of those still waiting for a ding or second reserve are URM?

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Updating that 1 recent Reserve admit is dropping. Interviewed first round Wednesday - admitted last Monday (a 12 day wait) - unknown when the return call to accept the admission was made - dropped today for another law school. It must have been another wait-list movement and it must have come with $$ (given that it's outside HYSCCN).

I'll try to get stats on it, all I know is non-URM, big state UG.

syd625

Postby syd625 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 pm

scoutmaster wrote:How many of those still waiting for a ding or second reserve are URM?

I'm still waiting and am a URM. Are you, too?

Just

Postby Just » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:02 am

last year there was only one wave of second reserve right?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Holy balls, I got in.

The three most currently important pieces of information pertaining to this decision: I'm old enough to drink in my country despite being 20, my friends are all going to the bars tonight, and tomorrow is a federal holiday.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Holy balls, I got in.

The three most currently important pieces of information pertaining to this decision: I'm old enough to drink in my country despite being 20, my friends are all going to the bars tonight, and tomorrow is a federal holiday.

srsly?! that's awesome! congrats man!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:58 pm

Hooooooooo dude congrats!!!!!! I expect an insane Choosing thread for UVa ($$) vs CLS

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:04 pm

sick oeuvre bro

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:06 pm

:D congrats! Toasting a beer of my own for you now! Thanks for the excuse to drink lol.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 pm

Congrats! :D

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm

Omg congrats!

The Bean

Postby The Bean » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:58 pm

I'd been lurking on this thread, but I was paranoid about posting an identifiable info. Had an interview last week, in this week, found out my financial aid today and it looks like it's Columbia for me!

My stats for the curious/posterity:
LSAT 172 (February - got a 169 in October)
GPA 3.55 (at one of the "Big Three" undergrad)
Softs - something like TFA in the deep south for two years. In addition to teaching, I got my MA in education with a 4.0 at a big state school. Lots of leadership/extracurriculars in college. White and female.

And congrats Monochromatic! I had to call them back because I couldn't find what purse my phone was in, and the person who answered said the Dean was on the phone with another reserve person, and I thought "Gee, I hope that's Patrick Bateman" and then had to remind myself that I don't actually know you Monochromatic, and I haven't even posted on this thread before.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, all. I'll be depositing at CLS today.

For me, CLS over UVA with $75k was the sensible decision because I have somewhat unique circumstances. I had a total undergrad COA of $50k, so my parents are picking up the whole shebang at CLS and I'll be graduating debt-free. I'm certainly a prestige whore, but not to one-tenth the degree my Boomer parents are ("It's number four" + "It's an Ivy" = lovestruck Boomers). I did make the argument that UVA would be a better deal at $100k cheaper, but my folks would not have anything of it--I was essentially not allowed to consider financial concerns once I made it clear that CLS > UVA if all else is equal. I tried to tell them they could probably do something very nice with $100k; they were adamant it wouldn't go to anything useful. I then tried to tell them that if they couldn't find anything, I could certainly find a good home for $100k--CLS < UVA + a mortgage down payment. They basically laughed at me and said I'm not getting a dime of that money if it doesn't go towards education. Because they're picking up the tab, it's really their decision that I just sort of have veto power over, and they would much rather send $225k to Columbia than $110k to UVA. I stopped arguing when it became apparent that their position wasn't going to change. If you're fortunate enough to be able to graduate CLS with no debt, you don't piss off the people who are making it happen.

Important note: I was given slightly less than 48 hours to make my decision. That time window is going to decrease deeper and deeper into the cycle, to the point where those admitted in late July/August will have to make a decision basically immediately. If you would have a tough decision to make if CLS admitted you, make it now, because you won't have enough time to make a well-though out decision between the time they accept you and the time you would have to decide. Make that decision as though you were paying sticker, because in all likelihood they won't have time to get financials back to you before your deadline. Plus there are a hundred kids right behind you who would go swimming in sulfuric acid to pay sticker. But, of course, it never hurts to ask about money.

Based on historical data, there are still at least half a dozen acceptances left in the cycle, and there are still 20 TLS/LSN Columbia depositors on an HYS waitlist. You should harass encourage these people to go should they get in. So far, CLS has been mostly focused on 174+ (at least six people, myself included), but at least one person with a below-median LSAT has gotten in so far. If you're still alive, they kept you alive for a reason. Good luck to all those remaining, especially those of you who have had interviews.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Based on historical data, there are still at least half a dozen acceptances left in the cycle, and there are still 20 TLS/LSN Columbia depositors on an HYS waitlist. You should harass encourage coerce these people to go should they get in. So far, CLS has been mostly focused on 174+ (at least six people, myself included), but at least one person with a below-median LSAT has gotten in so far. If you're still alive, they kept you alive for a reason. Good luck to all those remaining, especially those of you who have had interviews.

Re-fixed that for ya :D

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Seriously though, nearly every CLS depositor on an HYS waitlist is 3.7+, but a lot of them are below 172. If no one drops for anything besides HYS (doubt anyone will, besides UChi WL $), then CLS is more likely to need to beef up the GPA median rather than the LSAT median.

Either way, there have been at least two below-median LSATs taken off reserve, so nobody's dead yet. Both of those had above-median GPAs, so nobody below both medians has gotten even a nibble thus far, but that's par for the course at the most numbers-based T14.

Important note I forgot to include: I've heard people say a LOCI is worthless--not true in my experience. I wrote one in mid-May, about a month before I got an interview request. My interviewer specifically brought up my LOCI during the YP part of the conversation and seemed to suggest it was a relevant factor in them believing I'd matriculate if offered admission. Don't forget that this late in the cycle, when they're filling the last 6-7 spots, their medians are pretty set in stone and whichever median you're above, so are a few dozen other people. Don't give them any reason to doubt you'd be good for their yield.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey guys, been lurking like crazy for a while. Checking in as I got contacted for the brief phone interview a little earlier today—the time slots are all next week, Wednesday through Friday. Continuing the high LSAT, low GPA trend, woo.

Any advice from people who have had one already?

I'll update once I know whether I've made a terrible interview mistake :P Prior to this I had no contact about second reserve, and since I'm an international, thought I was just waiting on a ding letter.

(Also wow this thread is huge.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”