Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
48%
yes
28%
yes
25%

Total votes: 80

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:18 pm

porch wrote:Got that release from the reserve today in the mail.

172, 3.8

Released at one median and above the other?

This is scary news.

bailey8078

Postby bailey8078 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
porch wrote:Got that release from the reserve today in the mail.

172, 3.8

Released at one median and above the other?

This is scary news.

Maybe they're out of money and are only accepting splitters willing to pay sticker. But I agree, if those stats don't merit continuation on the WL I'm not sure what else they're looking for.

puppiespaws

Postby puppiespaws » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Sorry to hear that, porch.

Ht, good news. I was going to drop another Mariah song title, but I don't want to over do it. All I'll say is... I guess the best advice for you is just to remember that... LOVE TAKES TIME.

Anyway, regarding stats/numbers, I'm not sure if there's any pattern at all here, guys. I'm a little below their GPA median and WELL below their LSAT median, non-URM. I did, however, write a pretty desperate LoCI, so idk, it might just be out of pity lol.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Rejected in mail today.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:51 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Rejected in mail today.

+1

Just

Postby Just » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:46 am

For people who haven't received second reserve email, is it doomed to be a rejection? Since I live abroad, if the rejection is sent by mail, it may be lost on the way...

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:58 am

Very weird. I'm below both medians and was invited to the second reserve list. I'm a traditional applicant with 2 years of experience. Not entirely sure how I slid by... I wonder how many people / what percentage of the first reserve was invited?

hyjintherye

Postby hyjintherye » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:55 am

Just wrote:For people who haven't received second reserve email, is it doomed to be a rejection? Since I live abroad, if the rejection is sent by mail, it may be lost on the way...

I think the person above meant email. My email attachment says "by email only" just as the reserve attachment did.

bailey8078

Postby bailey8078 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:07 am

hyjintherye wrote:
Just wrote:For people who haven't received second reserve email, is it doomed to be a rejection? Since I live abroad, if the rejection is sent by mail, it may be lost on the way...

I think the person above meant email. My email attachment says "by email only" just as the reserve attachment did.

I think last year domestic rejections were by mail, international by email. It's a little odd that you got neither.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:08 am

didn't get a second reserve email or a rejection. i live near nyc. what does this mean ?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:29 am

toothbrush wrote:didn't get a second reserve email or a rejection. i live near nyc. what does this mean ?

You're in with a Hamilton, a Ferrari, and an all-expenses-paid deferral year on your own private island in the Caribbean with a European model who thinks law school application stories are a big turn-on.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:30 am

toothbrush wrote:didn't get a second reserve email or a rejection. i live near nyc. what does this mean ?

You're in with a Hamilton, a Ferrari, and an all-expenses-paid deferral year on your own private island in the Caribbean with a European model who thinks law school application stories are a big turn-on.

:lol: :lol:

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:31 am

My slow descent into madness waiting for CLS to get back to me, Day 2: Did I Really Make A List Of Every CLS-Deposited Applicant On A Waitlist At YHS?

Yes. Yes I did. Excuse me while I go find a hobby.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:02 am

Did you by any chance use PRISM to compile this hit list of yours?

porch

Postby porch » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:42 am

Last edited by porch on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:03 am

Tekrul wrote:Did you by any chance use PRISM to compile this hit list of yours?

I think if I were high up in the NSA, I wouldn't be on the legal track. Sadly, I don't have 'em all--just the LSN/TLS ones.

There are 20 TLS/LSN CLS depositors who are on a waitlist at HYS. The big JS2 wave had five CLS depositors (all of whom presumably withdrew). I would guess between the three schools, we might see three or four of these people get off a waitlist and free up a spot. This means I'm guessing there are a total of 8-15 acceptances (including the non-TLS/LSNers) left in the cycle.

I'm presuming Columbia plans for the late May JS2 wave and overenrolls accordingly. Acceptances off the reserve list are for the more unpredictable June/July trickle-down.

DukeofCambridge

Postby DukeofCambridge » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm an international student and haven't received any sort of contact re: 2nd reserve list. Given that it's now 2 weeks past when I should have heard, should I contact them?

bailey8078

Postby bailey8078 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 pm

DukeofCambridge wrote:I'm an international student and haven't received any sort of contact re: 2nd reserve list. Given that it's now 2 weeks past when I should have heard, should I contact them?

What 2 weeks? My email was 6/12.

buddyboy

Postby buddyboy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:59 pm

I have been following this discussion with great interest. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I was on the CLS reserve, got the phone call many of you also got, and got another call yesterday telling me I'm in. They originally told me I would have heard by last Friday, either way, so when I didn't hear by Friday, or all this last week, I assumed it was no go, until I got the call in the mid-afternoon yesterday. So I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Here's the thing. I am also admitted at UCLA and until I heard from Columbia, was planning on going there with about $100,000 total in money over 3 years. I find out next week whether I get $$ at Columbia, but I'm not counting on it. (By the way, is aid at Columbia merit or need based?)

I have to decide by Tuesday. So my quandary, UCLA with the money, or Columbia without?

I've been reading and talking with as many sources as a I can. But I'm interested in your opinions: UCLA with $$$ or Columbia without and why?

Thanks.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:04 pm

buddyboy wrote:I have been following this discussion with great interest. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I was on the CLS reserve, got the phone call many of you also got, and got another call yesterday telling me I'm in. They originally told me I would have heard by last Friday, either way, so when I didn't hear by Friday, or all this last week, I assumed it was no go, until I got the call in the mid-afternoon yesterday. So I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Here's the thing. I am also admitted at UCLA and until I heard from Columbia, was planning on going there with about $100,000 total in money over 3 years. I find out next week whether I get $$ at Columbia, but I'm not counting on it. (By the way, is aid at Columbia merit or need based?)

I have to decide by Tuesday. So my quandary, UCLA with the money, or Columbia without?

I've been reading and talking with as many sources as a I can. But I'm interested in your opinions: UCLA with $$$ or Columbia without and why?

Thanks.

Well boys and girls, that's one fewer spot for us.

But seriously, congratulations. Would you mind sharing your numbers? Are you a URM and do you have any special softs? PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting them in the thread.

Columbia offers both need and merit-based aid, though I think the chance of receiving money at this stage is somewhat small.

Without knowing anything about your situation, I would say Columbia at sticker is better than $100k at UCLA, but the right answer may depend on your financial situation and future goals. I recommend posting a thread in the "Choosing a Law School" section where people will be able to help you.

buddyboy

Postby buddyboy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 pm

buddyboy wrote:I have been following this discussion with great interest. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, I was on the CLS reserve, got the phone call many of you also got, and got another call yesterday telling me I'm in. They originally told me I would have heard by last Friday, either way, so when I didn't hear by Friday, or all this last week, I assumed it was no go, until I got the call in the mid-afternoon yesterday. So I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks.

Well boys and girls, that's one fewer spot for us.

But seriously, congratulations. Would you mind sharing your numbers? Are you a URM and do you have any special softs? PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting them in the thread.

Columbia offers both need and merit-based aid, though I think the chance of receiving money at this stage is somewhat small.

Without knowing anything about your situation, I would say Columbia at sticker is better than $100k at UCLA, but the right answer may depend on your financial situation and future goals. I recommend posting a thread in the "Choosing a Law School" section where people will be able to help you.

Thanks for the suggestion. 176 LSAT and about 3.5 LSAC GPA, though when I applied it was lower. I think it helped that I pulled straight A's the last two years, including the term after getting on reserve list (should have taken school more seriously my first two years and probably partied less). Nope, not URM, white, parents upper middle class, nothing special.

I'm not sure what you mean by softs.

I'm shooting for Big Law out the gate. Even if I went to UCLA, I'd still need good salary starting to pay off loans, and it seems to me Columbia significantly increases opportunities for Big Law. I don't a burning desire to live anywhere in particular but am looking, I think, for what maximizes my opportunities and opens the most doors and then hoping in X years time I'm making enough to pay off loans and put them in my rear view mirror. I'm leaning toward Columbia.

Yeah, like I said, I don't have high hopes for financial aid, but who knows. Fingers crossed.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 am

Tekrul wrote:Did you by any chance use PRISM to compile this hit list of yours?

I think if I were high up in the NSA, I wouldn't be on the legal track.

Exactly what an NSA agent would say :shock:

I'm onto you.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:07 am

Man, Columbia is devouring the splitters.

*splitter fist bump

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:17 am

Haha I'm in the same boat as the study abroad person here. I recently moved and didn't notify them about my change of address but I'm about 99% sure I got rejected via mail like the other reserve people this past week. Columbia's probably sent out all the second reserve e-mails by now right?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:26 am

DaRascal wrote:Haha I'm in the same boat as the study abroad person here. I recently moved and didn't notify them about my change of address but I'm about 99% sure I got rejected via mail like the other reserve people this past week. Columbia's probably sent out all the second reserve e-mails by now right?

but BC is a great school right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”