Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
48%
yes
28%
yes
25%

Total votes: 80

ht2988

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Postby ht2988 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:21 pm

you're one of those half-glass-full people... now i get to check my mailbox, inbox AND phone obsessively for the next few days :)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Or in this case, the glass is 1% full instead of 99% empty...

intlsplitr

Postby intlsplitr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Second reserve here as well.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I want to rick roll you both. But for the lyrics and not for the prank.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 pm

If I were Columbia, I'd send reserve emails with a link saying "Click here for admissions decision" that went to the Rickroll video.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:If I were Columbia, I'd send reserve emails with a link saying "Click here for admissions decision" that went to the Rickroll video.

But first you'd put the link in a PDF

eomea5

Postby eomea5 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

no second reserve email yet :(

rejections tomorrow?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Wait, am I actually supposed to be excited/hopeful that I made it to second reserve? Or is this more waitlist trolololing on Columbias part?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Finally heard back--interview tomorrow, so now at least I know my email didn't get lost in cyberspace.

Anyone have any idea what to do with the eight hours I'll have free tonight, now that I can no longer use them for sleeping?

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:13 pm

No second reserve email here :(

stone_fox

Postby stone_fox » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Also no second reserve. To everyone still remaining: may the odds be ever in your favor!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Finally heard back--interview tomorrow, so now at least I know my email didn't get lost in cyberspace.

Anyone have any idea what to do with the eight hours I'll have free tonight, now that I can no longer use them for sleeping?

good luck mono! rooting for you :)

would you give up UVA for CLS at sticker?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Finally heard back--interview tomorrow, so now at least I know my email didn't get lost in cyberspace.

I really do love UVA, I have a lease and my whole life ready to be in Charlottesville in August, and I can't exactly ignore a $100k COA difference. But I would seriously consider going to CLS at sticker. I would probably have no debt at graduation (or if I did, not enough to worry me). But I love, love, love Columbia--it's my top choice, and I've been pretty much head over heels for them for at least eighteen months. Even though I like DC, the main thing is to have Biglaw, and Columbia's placement speaks for itself. The middle third at CLS is considerably safer than the middle third at UVA. I'd have to have a long talk with my parents, and then if it felt right, I'd go. I'm usually a pretty rational guy but there's just something really exciting about even thinking I'm being considered at CLS. I turned down $25k at NYU because I wasn't in love with the school--I am undoubtedly in love with Columbia.

But the cart is way, way before the horse. As it stands, I'm just glad to have a great offer from I school I like.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Does no second reserve email today mean rejection tomorrow?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I really do love UVA, I have a lease and my whole life ready to be in Charlottesville in August, and I can't exactly ignore a $100k COA difference. But I would seriously consider going to CLS at sticker. I would probably have no debt at graduation (or if I did, not enough to worry me). But I love, love, love Columbia--it's my top choice, and I've been pretty much head over heels for them for at least eighteen months. Even though I like DC, the main thing is to have Biglaw, and Columbia's placement speaks for itself. The middle third at CLS is considerably safer than the middle third at UVA. I'd have to have a long talk with my parents, and then if it felt right, I'd go. I'm usually a pretty rational guy but there's just something really exciting about even thinking I'm being considered at CLS. I turned down $25k at NYU because I wasn't in love with the school--I am undoubtedly in love with Columbia.

But the cart is way, way before the horse. As it stands, I'm just glad to have a great offer from I school I like.

No debt at UVa or no debt at CLS?

Well if you do get in/attend Columbia, ill make sure to get you black out drunk with me

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

No debt at UVa or no debt at CLS?

Well if you do get in/attend Columbia, ill make sure to get you black out drunk with me

Well now they have to let me in.

"Why do you want to go to Columbia?"
"Gotta go bar hopping with jbagelboy"

nextstep222

Postby nextstep222 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:05 am

"warm regards" = devil words after all of these reserve emails.

however, you have to give it to columbia -- at least they update you. KUDOS COLUMBIA!

scoutmaster

Postby scoutmaster » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am

Is this really the end(for those of us who did not receive a second reserve email)?

bailey8078

Postby bailey8078 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 am

scoutmaster wrote:Is this really the end(for those of us who did not receive a second reserve email)?

It was a bad sign according to last years thread

bincognito

Postby bincognito » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:59 pm

No news today?

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:57 pm

I can't wait to be part of this bloodbath

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Just had my interview. Thought it went well, had a chance to articulate my resume/PS in more detail. They're really nice, and it was about as stress-free as a CLS interview at this stage of the game could be.

They said they would be in touch shortly, so I presume every second is going to be like a million years until they do.

CLS, won't you make my dreams come true? And why are you waiting so long to admit ht?

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:43 pm

Sounds like you crushed it, grats man.

Shortly, huh? :? That's gonna be a rough wait. I would have been like "....shortly? Come onnnnnn"

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm

If shortly is, like, Monday, I'll be okay.

If shortly is in two weeks, I'll be rocking back and forth in the fetal position in a padded room.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Poor ht, can he hear back already? Damn, Columbia.

Hopefully, your wait is not as bad. Shortly sounds like a good thing. And from the representation of interviewees on TLS, it's quite possible it's only you, which means the committee doesn't have anything else queued on its plate at the moment.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”