Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

will you beat the odds?

yes
48%
yes
27%
yes
25%

Total votes: 83

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Beating the odds: Columbia Reserve c/o 2016

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:That's 8 out of 10 reserve admits who are splitters, including The Bean (who has a 3.55 at HYP, which probably compares favorably to 3.7 elsewhere), plus a 3.75/171 Ivy, plus Rosie who seems to have special softs.

Pretty sure we're down to the last handful or so of acceptances, but as noted, a spot just opened up today.
do you think it really goes spot for spot like that? I mean, if they calculate that the medians are hit, they can prolly chill after a certain point. I'm guessing they were light on LSAT after the first few rounds of RD admits, hence the splitter flood

also it seems from the FB group that CLS definitely prejudices UG pedigree.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 pm

I presume the part of the cycle where they admit for medians is done and that they're basically just taking whoever they actually want now. My guess is that the admissions office is given a target for each class, give or take a handful. So no, I doubt it goes spot for spot. But everyone ITT could probably use a little optimism.
True story. Haven't seen that much Ivy since my last trip to Wrigley Field.

PSA: Light musing of the Facebook group--probably about 75% of the class went to a top 50 undergrad, including probably 25% Ivy. UG reputation may play a bigger role than we once thought.

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

PSA: Light musing of the Facebook group--probably about 75% of the class went to a top 50 undergrad, including probably 25% Ivy. UG reputation may play a bigger role than we once thought.
Or kids that went to those schools get higher LSATs (isn't this demonstrated by LSAT median by school?)

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 pm

<--- inc public state school kid

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 pm

bailey8078 wrote:

Or kids that went to those schools get higher LSATs (isn't this demonstrated by LSAT median by school?)
Yes, but the difference isn't so pronounced that it would account for quite that much of a discrepancy. Ivies average around a 165. I went to a pretty decently-ranked public school that averaged a 160.

To have nine schools (throwing in Stanford, who has at least five representatives) dominate so heavily suggests UG strength is accounted for somewhat significantly. Even at UVA, the top two Virginia schools (UVA and W&M) only combined for 33 representatives last year, keeping in mind both of those schools are two-thirds VA residents and UVA has to take 140 residents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 pm

bailey8078 wrote:

Yes, but the difference isn't so pronounced that it would account for quite that much of a discrepancy. Ivies average around a 165. I went to a pretty decently-ranked public school that averaged a 160.

To have nine schools (throwing in Stanford, who has at least five representatives) dominate so heavily suggests UG strength is accounted for somewhat significantly. Even at UVA, the top two Virginia schools (UVA and W&M) only combined for 33 representatives last year, keeping in mind both of those schools are two-thirds VA residents and UVA has to take 140 residents.
Yea -- my UG averaged 165/166 (back when my prelaw adviser showed me the data a while back) depending on which year you took. alumns tended to score higher than current seniors, if I recall. Not that many 160's going to CLS tho. so it has to be more than a strictly correlative effect

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:27 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
THAT SPLITTER LOVE
A 170/3.93 who was deposited at CLS just got in at Harvard--might be some additional hope for sort of reverse splitters. (Unfortunately most high LSAT admits were NYU deposited, to my chagrin.)
Yea I watch this thread for the sole purpose of monitoring NYU vacancies :lol:

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Just withdrew from the reserve. Good luck all!

The Bean

New

Post by The Bean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 am

On the question of whether schools give much of a bump to more selective undergrads, there's this:

http://ucs.yalecollege.yale.edu/sites/d ... istics.pdf

I'd assume the same preferences for H and P. It looks to me like some schools show the Ivy love a little more than others, but also that kids coming out of those schools are gonna be getting high LSATs since they had to do well on standardized tests to get into HYP in the first place. Oddly, the seniors in that chart did better than the alums.

As for the deferring thing, that's strange, because I was specifically asked if I was prepared to start in the fall since they don't offer deferrals off the wait list. (Not that it applied to me, I am DEFINITELY ready to start law school).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:22 am

Averages of Columbia matriculants from Yale: 3.64/169. So yeah, there's clearly preference being given at CLS that isn't being given at other schools. Nowhere else are the Yale matriculants so out of line from the medians.

Side note: 44 UChi admits and ZERO matriculants? Average admit was a 3.77/173, so there's clearly a bunch of money there. Blatant prestige whoring, you closet homosexuals who do a lot of cocaine.

Edit: List of average LSATs by undergraduate institution linked here. Data is from five years ago and averages are up by a couple points everywhere, as far as I can tell.
Last edited by Monochromatic Oeuvre on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Averages of Columbia matriculants from Yale: 3.64/169. So yeah, there's clearly preference being given at CLS that isn't being given at other schools. Nowhere else are the Yale matriculants so out of line from the medians.

Side note: 44 UChi admits and ZERO matriculants? Average admit was a 3.77/173, so there's clearly a bunch of money there. Blatant prestige whoring, you closet homosexuals who do a lot of cocaine.
'Cool it with the steroids, dude'

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 am

Also, data that may be useful after looking at my CAS report. My school had an average LSAT of 161, and the distribution is somewhat normal, but has a distinct left skew (so the median would be higher than the average). Standard deviation of about eight points. 25-75% about 154-166. A 10-90 would be about 149-169.

Guessing the LSAT distribution at other schools looks relatively similar. Still standing by the idea that there's good, solid evidence CLS gives a "strong UG" boost maybe more than any other T14.

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 am

Can someone PM me or post the 2012 CLS WL thread? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:17 am

Very updated avg UG LSAT based on school reports

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... DNSbUNtZ1E

That 152/3.2 doesn't help I guess for me

The Bean

New

Post by The Bean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:22 am

I think H and Y LS give a bit of a bump to the HY (maybe P) crowd as well (not that it was enough to help me :/ There was an article in the YDN awhile back that 25% of YLS was from H or Y undergrad. 29 just from YC at YLS is pretty much considering the small class. Meanwhile, southern schools are less impressed.

@Mono, yeah that 167 average is pretty impressive considering all the brain damage that must result.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Can someone PM me or post the 2012 CLS WL thread? Thanks!
They didn't have a separate one, just scan forward from the 2012 thread. :)

scoutmaster

New

Post by scoutmaster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Okay. I still haven't heard anything. First reserve is supposed to get something before the end of June correct? At least some indication?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Tekrul
Rosie (GPA 3.71-3.83, LSAT <172)
Buddyboy (3.5/176)
Me (3.45/176)
The Bean (3.55/172)
Lurkasaurus (3.2/176)
StillIll
narbyk (LSN) (3.75/171)
ksw47 (LSN) (3.18/178)
Lawgirl56 (LSN) (3.29/174)

Either the reserve is not as much a dead end as it was in the past, or they have fewer than four acceptances left in the cycle.
This is pretty solid. TLS is proving strong on the CLS Reserve.

syd625

Bronze

Post by syd625 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:52 pm

scoutmaster wrote:Okay. I still haven't heard anything. First reserve is supposed to get something before the end of June correct? At least some indication?
I haven't either. I called earlier this week, and they said that a decision should be made on my file by the end of this week.

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:55 pm

scoutmaster wrote:Okay. I still haven't heard anything. First reserve is supposed to get something before the end of June correct? At least some indication?
You do mean first and not second, correct? Have you not received any word since the initial WL decision (e.g. no second reserve update)?

scoutmaster

New

Post by scoutmaster » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:06 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
You do mean first and not second, correct? Have you not received any word since the initial WL decision (e.g. no second reserve update)?
Yes no word at all. Radio silence. I really hope there will be a URM wave soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:09 pm

scoutmaster wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:
Yes no word at all. Radio silence. I really hope there will be a URM wave soon.
Craziness... I haven't heard from U Chicago since the first week of May. Good luck

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:21 pm

The Bean wrote:I think H and Y LS give a bit of a bump to the HY (maybe P) crowd as well (not that it was enough to help me :/ There was an article in the YDN awhile back that 25% of YLS was from H or Y undergrad. 29 just from YC at YLS is pretty much considering the small class. Meanwhile, southern schools are less impressed.

@Mono, yeah that 167 average is pretty impressive considering all the brain damage that must result.
The data in that PDF seems to suggest Yale students mostly attend HYSC (76/133 = 57%). That struck me as high, so I decided to poke around on firm websites which can be searched by undergrad. Interesting results.

Number of Yale undergrads going to HYSC by firm (associates only):

Skadden: 5/23 (22%)
Cleary: 13/20 (65%)
Latham: 10/30 (33%)

Total V10: 28/73 (38%)

V10 is presumably more biased toward HYSC. Willing to bet the figure is lower for lower-ranked firms. Something weird is going on, unless you're suggesting that going to HYSC makes Yale students less likely to land top jobs. Anyone have any ideas?

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote: The data in that PDF seems to suggest Yale students mostly attend HYSC (76/133 = 57%).
You're assuming that the stars in the chart mean zero. What they could also mean is that the school decided not to report that particular datum.

Also, there were 86, not 76, Yale kids who matriculated to HYSC.

There were 239 law school applicants from Yale. Yes, some of them would have decided not to matriculate to a law school. But it's the better number to use than 133, which I assume is the total number of matriculants listed on the chart (minus the stars). 86/239 = 36%. So the percentage of Yale students who attend HYSC is closer to 36% than to 57%, I think. Still a high percentage, but not as high as you suggest.

The Bean

New

Post by The Bean » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Maybe the type that gets into HYS Law are more likely to choose academia or public interest while the less intellectual just want to be corporate drones?

I looked at the hard copies from 2009 and 2011 I had in a misc law school folder, and they had a lot less asterisks then. You had a lot of schools getting 3 or 6 Yalies that in the '12 sheet get an asterisk. Could mean in light of the law school bubble thing, they are figuring go big or go home, or they had a hard time getting data this year.

Other interesting facts from those sheets: In '09 and '11, Columbia took 20 and 23 Yalies respectively from 211 and 195 applicants. There were WAY more applicants across the board in 2009 compared to now. 228 applied to Harvard and 200 applied to NYU for instance. This fits the trend of less applicants in the higher LSAT over the last couple of years.

Basically you should all pat yourselves on the back for applying during a weak cycle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”