Pace full scholarship...any thoughts or advice? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SJU2010

New

Pace full scholarship...any thoughts or advice?

Post by SJU2010 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 am

I was accepted to pretty much all schools I applied to with $18k to $30k per year scholarships. That includes top 100 schools TT, TTT, and TTTT schools. I plan to own my own practice (have been self employed most of my working years). When applying my only concern was the money. With that said, Pace is offering a full scholarship (merit). I will be attending part time and live about 1hr away with daily round trip tolls. Am I making the right decision to attend considering I plan to own my own practice and I am already swamped in debt from undergrad? Any and all thoughts/suggestions welcome.

NoWorries

New

Re: Pace full scholarship...any thoughts or advice?

Post by NoWorries » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:33 am

Unique troll.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:48 am

what are the stipulations to keep the scholarship? What are your experiences with starting your own business? do you have enough capital to fiancé this endeavor? ( if so, why wait three years when you can start something now??) If you do poorly as a 1L, will you drop out, and if so, do you have to repay your scholarship???

SJU2010

New

Post by SJU2010 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

northwood wrote:what are the stipulations to keep the scholarship? What are your experiences with starting your own business? do you have enough capital to fiancé this endeavor? ( if so, why wait three years when you can start something now??) If you do poorly as a 1L, will you drop out, and if so, do you have to repay your scholarship???
All very good questions. The stipulation is that I have to be in the top 50% of my class. I don't think it will be hard to do because I am already an above average student for Pace, I will be attending part time, and I am willing to bring a strong bite to keep my scholarship. My experience has been pretty good with starting/owning my own business. Without the law school debt I will have enough capital to start my own or possibly join a friend's practice (which we have discussed doing for many years). I don't know if dropping out my first year will force me to payback the full tuition...I will make sure to ask. I will be very angry if I lose my scholarship and then I will be sort of forced to pay full tuition at a sub-par school.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 pm

SJU2010 wrote:
northwood wrote:what are the stipulations to keep the scholarship? What are your experiences with starting your own business? do you have enough capital to fiancé this endeavor? ( if so, why wait three years when you can start something now??) If you do poorly as a 1L, will you drop out, and if so, do you have to repay your scholarship???
All very good questions. The stipulation is that I have to be in the top 50% of my class. I don't think it will be hard to do because I am already an above average student for Pace, I will be attending part time, and I am willing to bring a strong bite to keep my scholarship. My experience has been pretty good with starting/owning my own business. Without the law school debt I will have enough capital to start my own or possibly join a friend's practice (which we have discussed doing for many years). I don't know if dropping out my first year will force me to payback the full tuition...I will make sure to ask. I will be very angry if I lose my scholarship and then I will be sort of forced to pay full tuition at a sub-par school.

there is a lot more to how you do than just your admission numbers... Unless you are guaranteed a position with your friend's firm, I would drop out if you lose the scholarship

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm

SJU2010 wrote:All very good questions. The stipulation is that I have to be in the top 50% of my class. I don't think it will be hard to do because I am already an above average student for Pace, I will be attending part time, and I am willing to bring a strong bite to keep my scholarship. My experience has been pretty good with starting/owning my own business. Without the law school debt I will have enough capital to start my own or possibly join a friend's practice (which we have discussed doing for many years). I don't know if dropping out my first year will force me to payback the full tuition...I will make sure to ask. I will be very angry if I lose my scholarship and then I will be sort of forced to pay full tuition at a sub-par school.
There is no guarantee you will end up in the top 50%, everyone in your class will be gunning for top 10% because of the atrocious employment numbers of Pace, and yuor admissions credentials are not what get you grades. Not to mention, you will be competing with people who do not need to make the commute and are not working at the same time. If this is the place where you are meeting the dean, I would highly recommend you ask the stip be reduced to good standing. If you do go, drop out if you lose that schoalrshp.

SJU2010

New

Post by SJU2010 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Icculus wrote:
SJU2010 wrote:All very good questions. The stipulation is that I have to be in the top 50% of my class. I don't think it will be hard to do because I am already an above average student for Pace, I will be attending part time, and I am willing to bring a strong bite to keep my scholarship. My experience has been pretty good with starting/owning my own business. Without the law school debt I will have enough capital to start my own or possibly join a friend's practice (which we have discussed doing for many years). I don't know if dropping out my first year will force me to payback the full tuition...I will make sure to ask. I will be very angry if I lose my scholarship and then I will be sort of forced to pay full tuition at a sub-par school.
There is no guarantee you will end up in the top 50%, everyone in your class will be gunning for top 10% because of the atrocious employment numbers of Pace, and yuor admissions credentials are not what get you grades. Not to mention, you will be competing with people who do not need to make the commute and are not working at the same time. If this is the place where you are meeting the dean, I would highly recommend you ask the stip be reduced to good standing. If you do go, drop out if you lose that schoalrshp.

I will be meeting the dean on Friday for lunch and that is great suggestion. I will ask that they reduce the stip to good standing. Now my reasoning for that would be that I am a part-time student competing with full-time students, I will be working full or part time and I have a very long commute. Anything else you suggest I mention as my reason, should I mention my scholarships from other schools?

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:32 pm

did you get any majority scholarship from a TT? better employment stats might be worth the $ as a backup than graduating from Pace without a job.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 pm

SJU2010 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

I will be meeting the dean on Friday for lunch and that is great suggestion. I will ask that they reduce the stip to good standing. Now my reasoning for that would be that I am a part-time student competing with full-time students, I will be working full or part time and I have a very long commute. Anything else you suggest I mention as my reason, should I mention my scholarships from other schools?
I wouldn't actually do this at lunch but rather one on one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”