St. Marys Fall 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law1992

New

St. Marys Fall 2013

Post by law1992 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Anyone thinking about St. Mary's? Don't know too much on this school but a bunch of my dad's friends graduated from there with great jobs.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Re: St. Marys Fall 2013

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 am

Hey, I've seen you over in the STCL thread as well. I was accepted here with a sizable scholarship (with absurd stipulations) and was forced to put down a deposit down after being waitlisted at my top choices. As soon as STCL accepts me, that will become my safety school unless I get off the waitlists at U of H or SMU. I do believe there is a slight edge to STCL over St. Mary's with respect to job/salary prospects and the legal market (Houston vs San Antonio) you will likely enter into upon graduation. I wish you the best man. Hopefully these waitlists start moving.

law1992

New

Post by law1992 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks. I was forced to put down a deposit as well. Good luck with those waitlists. Hopefully we don't have to wait another month. Did you get an e-mail from the president of the SBA from St. Marys?

Sergio103

New

Post by Sergio103 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:34 pm

I did my undergraduate at UT-San Antonio and got into St. Mary's with a good scholarship and I am eligible for another sizable scholarship that I should get, but won't know until May. Due to the school's ranking and from what I read about the previous dean doing a number on the university, I was pretty hesitant about attending. I am seriously considering it though since I could possibly attend at a bargain and I have heard a lot of positive feedback from multiple current students, who are ranked in the middle of their classes, mentioning that they did not have to go through too much trouble to find internships. Still waiting on a few more decisions though.

mandimeoutof10

Bronze

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Sergio103 wrote:I did my undergraduate at UT-San Antonio and got into St. Mary's with a good scholarship and I am eligible for another sizable scholarship that I should get, but won't know until May. Due to the school's ranking and from what I read about the previous dean doing a number on the university, I was pretty hesitant about attending. I am seriously considering it though since I could possibly attend at a bargain and I have heard a lot of positive feedback from multiple current students, who are ranked in the middle of their classes, mentioning that they did not have to go through too much trouble to find internships. Still waiting on a few more decisions though.
How cheap is cheap? Also, you will likely lose your scholarship after the first year as they have the most absurd stipulations of any school I have looked at yet. Honestly, even with my decent scholarship, I am having a really hard time making St. Mary's at any cost seem like a good decision.

Sergio103

New

Post by Sergio103 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:18 pm

My yearly tuition would come out to about 10K. Plus I have some family I can stay with here so my CoL would also be significantly lower. I received 10K merit-based that requires I keep a 3.0. My friend who is a current student had the same scholarship/stipulation. He was only able to maintain a 2.9 gpa and had his scholarship reduced to 8K. The other scholarship only requires me to remain in good standing with the university.

I'm stuck between attending St. Mary's at a low price or tier 2 schools at a higher price. I also applied to UH part-time program, but i'm not sure if it would be better going there part-time at sticker price.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”