Waitlisted at U of H and SMU-- chances of being getting in?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
m_surly

Waitlisted at U of H and SMU-- chances of being getting in?

Postby m_surly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi,

I was just recently waitlisted at University of Houston and SMU with a 159 LSAT and 3.66 GPA, strong softs. (I was somewhat surprised that I was waitlisted at Houston since I was accepted by Baylor and given $21,000/yr in scholarship. Baylor is ranked higher and the TLS 25th/75th percentile stats for Houston seem more favorable.)

Looking at LSN, I don't really find any other waitlisted applicants with better stats. What are my chances of getting off the waitlist at these schools?

Thanks for your help,

m_surly

philosoraptor

Re: Waitlisted at U of H and SMU-- chances of being getting in?

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm

You probably don't want to hear this, but do not attend either of these schools (or Baylor) for anywhere close to sticker, even if you get in off the waitlist. Spend some time perusing Law School Transparency (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=tx) for employment and cost figures for schools that place in Texas. Do not use U.S. News rankings or admissions statistics to pick a law school -- use employment and cost figures, and treat this decision like the huge investment that it is.

Retake the LSAT and reapply next year, and don't settle for anything less than good scholarships at UT or SMU. You've got a good GPA; don't waste it. (And FYI, for nine out of ten applicants, softs don't matter.)

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 pm

m_surly wrote:Hi,

I was just recently waitlisted at University of Houston and SMU with a 159 LSAT and 3.66 GPA, strong softs. (I was somewhat surprised that I was waitlisted at Houston since I was accepted by Baylor and given $21,000/yr in scholarship. Baylor is ranked higher and the TLS 25th/75th percentile stats for Houston seem more favorable.)

Looking at LSN, I don't really find any other waitlisted applicants with better stats. What are my chances of getting off the waitlist at these schools?

Thanks for your help,

m_surly

Call admission office ask about deposit situation. If more than expected deposit happens in these schools, the chance of getting off wl will be slim.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:41 pm

m_surly wrote: Baylor is ranked higher

No it is not.

W/ your stats I think you could get off the WL at UH. I'm not sure about SMU though- I would doubt it for full time. My stats were better than yours and I did not get off the WL at SMU FT during my cycle.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:45 pm

philosoraptor wrote:You probably don't want to hear this, but do not attend either of these schools (or Baylor) for anywhere close to sticker, even if you get in off the waitlist. Spend some time perusing Law School Transparency (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=tx) for employment and cost figures for schools that place in Texas. Do not use U.S. News rankings or admissions statistics to pick a law school -- use employment and cost figures, and treat this decision like the huge investment that it is.

Retake the LSAT and reapply next year, and don't settle for anything less than good scholarships at UT or SMU. You've got a good GPA; don't waste it. (And FYI, for nine out of ten applicants, softs don't matter.)

TITCR

Neither of these schools are worth going to at anywhere near sticker. Life-ruining debt and underemployment likely awaits you from either of these options.

Retake the LSAT.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”