Temple v. Rutgers-Camden

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
phillyfun

Temple v. Rutgers-Camden

Postby phillyfun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 pm

I am looking for input if anybody could help, I would really appreciate. I am deciding between two very generous offers, and really, really struggling with the decision. I have a full ride at Rutgers-Camden and 1/3 off tuition scholarship at Temple. I will be going part-time to either. I am looking to work in Philly, and hope (like everybody when they enter law school :lol: ) to end up in a mid-large sized firm. At the moment, I am thinking business/corporate law. Thoughts?

DaRascal

Re: Temple v. Rutgers-Camden

Postby DaRascal » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:27 pm

I would say go to Temple and dominate! :P

Biglaw doesn't have to be a fairy tale from these schools.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:00 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=temple

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=rutgers-camden

--

Temple is not worth paying tuition for and you will need to be in the top of your class to secure a decent job from either school. Why pay for one over the other. Looking at your LSAT I assume your GPA is holding you back?

--

*disclaimer I will most likely be attending Camden on a full tuition + stipend. I am not pushing the school for any reason other than financials. I did attend the ASD and would say that the professors are very down to earth and approachable - their pedigrees are solid, they have a really strong faculty.

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:06 pm

The main reason I have to stay in Philly is I am married and have kids -- and my LSAT isn't good enough for Penn, so that leaves all the other area schools.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Well I can reasonably assume that you could commute to either school?

I just can't see you paying tuition to attend Temple.

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah they are both about the same distance time wise, so commuting isn't the issue. And yeah, that's the conclusion I'm starting to arrive at as well. I was set on Temple until I got this scholly, now I am like, is Temple really worth the extra money?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:06 pm

phillyfun wrote:Yeah they are both about the same distance time wise, so commuting isn't the issue. And yeah, that's the conclusion I'm starting to arrive at as well. I was set on Temple until I got this scholly, now I am like, is Temple really worth the extra money?

Also remember that Camdens scholarship covers tuition and fees whereas temple is only a 1/3rd scholarship - so you have to factor that in as well.

I had some decent offers from T30-T50, but in the end, I just couldn't see paying tuition at those schools. Outside of the T14/20 everything really starts to melt together and the employment differences become marginal.

What is your GPA?

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:08 pm

I'd prefer not to put my exact stats on here to maintain a little anominity. :-/

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 am

I was also considering both programs for their evening part time programs.

Since I'm a PA resident, Temple was the obvious choice for me. For your situation, I don't think you could go wrong with choosing Rutgers though.

Did you get to visit both?

phillyfun

Postby phillyfun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Yeah I have gone to visit both. I am going to go visit them both again, and try to ask a bunch of hard questions, just so I feel like I have really done my homework. I am also a PA resident, so atleast I get in-state at Temple.

The Lucky One

Postby The Lucky One » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 pm

If you're going part time, I'm assuming you have a full-time job; obviously that factors in, since you'll probably have much less debt at the end than a full-time student (depending on what you make now, I suppose). I looked at both, but between being a PA resident and a shorter commute time, Temple was the better option for me. I have no idea how much cachet Rutgers carries in the Philly area, but I know Temple is very well regarded in the area.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”