How to decline an acceptance offer?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Awkward

How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby Awkward » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how I should decline an offer to attend law school? I didn't see any form or letter to decline an offer. Should I email or should I just let the acceptance expire? I have decided that it was not a prudent decision for me to attend law school.

looking to decline UMiami and FSU

Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:56 pm

E-mail or by phone. However, if still open, call & hope for a scholarship offer.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Just email them. Or if you dont plan on reapplying there, let the offer expire. Whatever. Its best to email though. Wouldnt want to unnecessarily burn bridges.

"Dear Adcomms,
Thank you for the opportunity to attend your law school. Unfortunately, I have decided against attending law school this Fall.

Sincerely,
Awkward"

Is fine.

jrgarcia85

Postby jrgarcia85 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I also decided law school was not for me. Here is what I sent all schools:

Dear Admissions Staff,

I have decided to decline my admission offer. I truly appreciate the time your staff took in reviewing my application. I was honored. After considering many factors over a period of several months, I ultimately decided law school was not the best option for me.

If there is a formal procedure (a letter or form) that is required to officially decline the offer, please let me know and I will comply with it immediately.

I wish your office the best of luck the rest of this application cycle.

Sincerely,

Robert Loblaw
L8675309

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:15 pm

I mailed written thank-you cards to the deans or officers with whom I had been in most contact (mentioning that my gratitude extended to all of his or her associates as well). I also sent emails, that functioned as a thank-yous, to the general admissions addresses and mentioned the cards I sent to the deans.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

LexLeon wrote:I mailed written thank-you cards to the deans or officers with whom I had been in most contact (mentioning that my gratitude extended to all of his or her associates as well). I also sent emails, that functioned as a thank-yous, to the general admissions addresses and mentioned the cards I sent to the deans.

JFC, I've never felt more like a prole in my life.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm

jrgarcia85 wrote:
Sincerely,

Robert Loblaw
L8675309

Awesome

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:52 pm

I prefer to troll the adcomm wildly until they rescind my acceptance.

ninetails

Postby ninetails » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09 pm

sinfiery wrote:
LexLeon wrote:I mailed written thank-you cards to the deans or officers with whom I had been in most contact (mentioning that my gratitude extended to all of his or her associates as well). I also sent emails, that functioned as a thank-yous, to the general admissions addresses and mentioned the cards I sent to the deans.

JFC, I've never felt more like a prole in my life.

if it makes you feel better, that shit went straight in the trash.

Awkward

Postby Awkward » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies. I decided to go with the approach of sending thank you notes to everyone.

But really, I just sent a short email.

Thanks!

risa

Postby risa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Nova wrote:Just email them. Or if you dont plan on reapplying there, let the offer expire. Whatever. Its best to email though. Wouldnt want to unnecessarily burn bridges.

"Dear Adcomms,
Thank you for the opportunity to attend your law school. Unfortunately, I have decided against attending law school this Fall.

Sincerely,
Awkward"

Is fine.

Don't just let the offer expire. Email them. It's a courtesy to the adcomms and most importantly, to your fellow applicants who are waitlisted or still waiting for an offer.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 am

risa wrote:
Nova wrote:Just email them. Or if you dont plan on reapplying there, let the offer expire. Whatever. Its best to email though. Wouldnt want to unnecessarily burn bridges.

"Dear Adcomms,

Sincerely,
Awkward"

Is fine.

Don't just let the offer expire. Email them. It's a courtesy to the adcomms and most importantly, to your fellow applicants who are waitlisted or still waiting for an offer.

+1

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 am

For sure. Notifying the adcomms is certainty the courteous move.

cnk

Postby cnk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 pm

yes, notify! e-mail is best so it's in written form and can be updated within your file. also that school may be someone else's dream school and your withdrawl will open up a spot for someone else/good karma! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”