How to decline an acceptance offer?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Awkward
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby Awkward » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how I should decline an offer to attend law school? I didn't see any form or letter to decline an offer. Should I email or should I just let the acceptance expire? I have decided that it was not a prudent decision for me to attend law school.

looking to decline UMiami and FSU

Thanks.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:56 pm

E-mail or by phone. However, if still open, call & hope for a scholarship offer.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 pm

Just email them. Or if you dont plan on reapplying there, let the offer expire. Whatever. Its best to email though. Wouldnt want to unnecessarily burn bridges.

"Dear Adcomms,
Thank you for the opportunity to attend your law school. Unfortunately, I have decided against attending law school this Fall.

Sincerely,
Awkward"

Is fine.

jrgarcia85
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby jrgarcia85 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm

I also decided law school was not for me. Here is what I sent all schools:

Dear Admissions Staff,

I have decided to decline my admission offer. I truly appreciate the time your staff took in reviewing my application. I was honored. After considering many factors over a period of several months, I ultimately decided law school was not the best option for me.

If there is a formal procedure (a letter or form) that is required to officially decline the offer, please let me know and I will comply with it immediately.

I wish your office the best of luck the rest of this application cycle.

Sincerely,

Robert Loblaw
L8675309

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby LexLeon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:15 pm

I mailed written thank-you cards to the deans or officers with whom I had been in most contact (mentioning that my gratitude extended to all of his or her associates as well). I also sent emails, that functioned as a thank-yous, to the general admissions addresses and mentioned the cards I sent to the deans.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby sinfiery » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:17 pm

LexLeon wrote:I mailed written thank-you cards to the deans or officers with whom I had been in most contact (mentioning that my gratitude extended to all of his or her associates as well). I also sent emails, that functioned as a thank-yous, to the general admissions addresses and mentioned the cards I sent to the deans.


JFC, I've never felt more like a prole in my life.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby trojandave » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm

jrgarcia85 wrote:
Sincerely,

Robert Loblaw
L8675309


Awesome

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:52 pm

I prefer to troll the adcomm wildly until they rescind my acceptance.

ninetails
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby ninetails » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09 pm

sinfiery wrote:
LexLeon wrote:I mailed written thank-you cards to the deans or officers with whom I had been in most contact (mentioning that my gratitude extended to all of his or her associates as well). I also sent emails, that functioned as a thank-yous, to the general admissions addresses and mentioned the cards I sent to the deans.


JFC, I've never felt more like a prole in my life.


if it makes you feel better, that shit went straight in the trash.

Awkward
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby Awkward » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies. I decided to go with the approach of sending thank you notes to everyone.

But really, I just sent a short email.

Thanks!

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby risa » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Nova wrote:Just email them. Or if you dont plan on reapplying there, let the offer expire. Whatever. Its best to email though. Wouldnt want to unnecessarily burn bridges.

"Dear Adcomms,
Thank you for the opportunity to attend your law school. Unfortunately, I have decided against attending law school this Fall.

Sincerely,
Awkward"

Is fine.


Don't just let the offer expire. Email them. It's a courtesy to the adcomms and most importantly, to your fellow applicants who are waitlisted or still waiting for an offer.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby Cobretti » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 am

risa wrote:
Nova wrote:Just email them. Or if you dont plan on reapplying there, let the offer expire. Whatever. Its best to email though. Wouldnt want to unnecessarily burn bridges.

"Dear Adcomms,
Thank you for the opportunity to attend your law school. Unfortunately, I have decided against attending law school this Fall.

Sincerely,
Awkward"

Is fine.


Don't just let the offer expire. Email them. It's a courtesy to the adcomms and most importantly, to your fellow applicants who are waitlisted or still waiting for an offer.

+1

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 am

For sure. Notifying the adcomms is certainty the courteous move.

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: How to decline an acceptance offer?

Postby cnk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 pm

yes, notify! e-mail is best so it's in written form and can be updated within your file. also that school may be someone else's dream school and your withdrawl will open up a spot for someone else/good karma! :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests