Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 07, 2013 6:55 pm

dnptan wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:George Clooney would make an excellent pirate.

Pirates of TLS: Curse of the Harvard WL

Starring George Clooney as TripTrip


[pic of me in a pirate outfit]

:lol:

But really, I imagine George Clooney playing a super suave pirate. Think Ocean's 11 in the late 1600s.


toothbrush wrote:I like everyone in this thread that contributes so I'll ask the question here: (this is not for HLS)
Blasphemy

toothbrush wrote:How long should it be? I'm basically writing the loci to say 1) at this point i'm still interested and would accept off the WL and 2) I graduated with honors blah blah and am working developing x y z skills. Is 2-3 paragraphs acceptable?
Sure. I think brevity is important. My personal rule of thumb was keep it to one page including all the basic letter formatting (addresses and whatnot).

toothbrush wrote:Do you send the LOCI in the body of an email or as an attachment? If the latter, do you have to print, sign, scan and attach the LOCI? (I saw someone say they sign it..)
I'd do an attachment. I wouldn't print it and scan it; that seems like too much. Personally I always keep a digitized image of my signature handy so I can attach it to letters I want to send via email, but to each his own.

toothbrush wrote:How do you address it? " To whom it may come" " Dear Dean X " ?
I've always done "Dear Dean X." Definitely not "To whom it may concern."

toothbrush wrote:How do you close? "sincerely" "warm wishes" "best" "hope to hear from you soon"
I think that depends on the tone of your writing in the body.

toothbrush wrote:Any overall thoughts?
Know why you were waitlisted and seek to remedy that inadvertently in the LOCI. If you were WL'd for YP, show why you want to go to that school. If you were waitlisted because your UG sucks (yours truly, case in point), hopefully your update shows you exceeding academically.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks Trip. I do like some of you. Not all.

Where did you go to UG btw? Mine sucks too. PM me ?

And thank you for the advice btw. I will definitely do most of that. Except the electronic signature. That is some try hard bullshit.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 07, 2013 7:16 pm

toothbrush wrote:Except the electronic signature. That is some try hard bullshit.

Ha. I definitely didn't scan it in just for LOCIs. I use it all the time to submit forms. Company/organization X sends over a form they need signed, I photoshop in my signature and send it back. Too easy.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby digifly » Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 pm

TripTrip wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Except the electronic signature. That is some try hard bullshit.

Ha. I definitely didn't scan it in just for LOCIs. I use it all the time to submit forms. Company/organization X sends over a form they need signed, I photoshop in my signature and send it back. Too easy.


Yup, I do this too. It's just too convenient!


Sincerely,


X_____Image_______

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 pm

TripTrip, why are you me?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Lavitz wrote:TripTrip, why are you me?

What was that, Lavitz?

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby txdude45 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Lavitz wrote:TripTrip, why are you me?

What was that, Lavitz?


F you guys for changing avatars. I don't even read names anymore, so I was thrown off for a while...

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Lavitz wrote:TripTrip, why are you me?

What was that, Lavitz?

QFP

Image

mermaid9052
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby mermaid9052 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Hey guys ~ quick question ...

So typically JS2s go out as phone calls
But does anyone know if this is the same for international students?
Or have international students in the past been informed by emails instead?

Thanks so much if anyone can help!!! :D

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 07, 2013 10:39 pm

mermaid9052 wrote:Hey guys ~ quick question ...

So typically JS2s go out as phone calls
But does anyone know if this is the same for international students?
Or have international students in the past been informed by emails instead?

Thanks so much if anyone can help!!! :D

E-mails instead.

mermaid9052
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby mermaid9052 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Lavitz wrote:
mermaid9052 wrote:Hey guys ~ quick question ...

So typically JS2s go out as phone calls
But does anyone know if this is the same for international students?
Or have international students in the past been informed by emails instead?

Thanks so much if anyone can help!!! :D

E-mails instead.



Thank you so much!! Good luck to everyone waiting!

eyfl
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby eyfl » Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 am

Lavitz wrote:
mermaid9052 wrote:Hey guys ~ quick question ...

So typically JS2s go out as phone calls
But does anyone know if this is the same for international students?
Or have international students in the past been informed by emails instead?

Thanks so much if anyone can help!!! :D

E-mails instead.


Wasn't it that some internationals reported calls and some emails? I was looking forward to the actual call :(

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 am

eyfl wrote:Wasn't it that some internationals reported calls and some emails? I was looking forward to the actual call :(

Possible. I don't remember all of it.

I know some Americans who happened to be abroad at the time received calls--but that may have just been last cycle. I remember the first wave of JS2s this cycle unfolded as expected, with internationals receiving them first, all by e-mail. I think there was someone this cycle who was doing something like Peace Corps in South America (so within the same timezones as the rest of the continental U.S.) and I think they still got an e-mail instead of a call. Maybe Canadians got calls.

I suppose it's more likely than in previous cycles because JS has shown that she's not very strict about calling during normal business hours. I think she called Worm at like 7PM EST iirc.

So you might get a call but traditionally internationals just get e-mails.

jakeymay
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby jakeymay » Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 am

just had my js1. She said we probably won't hear back until mid-october at the earliest.

User avatar
mickeysevenn
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby mickeysevenn » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 am

jakeymay wrote:just had my js1. She said we probably won't hear back until mid-october at the earliest.


seems about right.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 08, 2013 10:13 am

jakeymay wrote:just had my js1. She said we probably won't hear back until mid-october at the earliest.

120

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 am

Lavitz wrote:
jakeymay wrote:just had my js1. She said we probably won't hear back until mid-october at the earliest.

120

+1

121

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby FlowBro » Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Anybody submitted additional letters of recommendation since being placed on the waitlist?

eyfl
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby eyfl » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

FlowBro wrote:Anybody submitted additional letters of recommendation since being placed on the waitlist?


No, as they've specifically stated that additional LoRs are unnecessary (in the 'hold' blogpost but I don't see WL being any different).

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby FlowBro » Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Hmm... I guess it comes down to if the letter could add any new or additional information.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 08, 2013 12:28 pm

FlowBro wrote:Hmm... I guess it comes down to if the letter could add any new or additional information.

Which you "wouldn't" know if you waived your right to view it. Your LORs won't add any additional information; the only additional material to send right now would be something like you just graduated with highest awesome honors and here's your updated transcript with an even stellerer GPA.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Meh. I had an additional LOR sent. I didn't have info for a LOCI and I knew it would be a strong LOR.

feelingood
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby feelingood » Wed May 08, 2013 12:51 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Okay, what is everyone's LOCI opinions? I have never sent one before and had my post WL JS1 like 2 weeks ago.... I don't even really know what to say besides, "I really want to go to Harvard..."



I've written 2 LOCIs since WL (one 2 weeks after being WL'd and one after my JS1), both of which included relevant updates to my application. I'm of the view that more positive information couldn't hurt and could possibly help. If one is not willing to fight tooth and nail to get into Harvard, perhaps Harvard isn't the place for that person :P.

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby FlowBro » Wed May 08, 2013 12:54 pm

TripTrip wrote:
FlowBro wrote:Hmm... I guess it comes down to if the letter could add any new or additional information.

Which you "wouldn't" know if you waived your right to view it. Your LORs won't add any additional information; the only additional material to send right now would be something like you just graduated with highest awesome honors and here's your updated transcript with an even stellerer GPA.

I Think you're right. I'm not sending anything else. LOCI will have to suffice

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm

feelingood wrote:
jsjd1989 wrote:Okay, what is everyone's LOCI opinions? I have never sent one before and had my post WL JS1 like 2 weeks ago.... I don't even really know what to say besides, "I really want to go to Harvard..."



I've written 2 LOCIs since WL (one 2 weeks after being WL'd and one after my JS1), both of which included relevant updates to my application. I'm of the view that more positive information couldn't hurt and could possibly help. If one is not willing to fight tooth and nail to get into Harvard, perhaps Harvard isn't the place for that person :P.

Image




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Imago Loop, jstans, Photomike2, tlee13, xnsch and 13 guests