Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MyNameIsFlynn!

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun May 05, 2013 9:10 pm

175+, 3.9+ - 1
175+, 3.8-3.9 - 2
175+, 3.7-3.8 - 3
175+, <3.7 - 2 (177/3.4 & 176/3.62)

173/4, 3.9+ - 3
173/4, 3.8-3.9 - 8
173/4, 3.7-3.8 - 1
173/4, <3.7 - 0

171/2, 3.9+ - 4
171/2, 3.8-3.9 - 7
171/2, 3.7-3.8 - 0
171/2, <3.7 - 0

170, 3.9+ - 4
170, 3.8-3.9 - 0
170, 3.7-3.8 - 0
170, <3.7 - 0

<170 - 1 (167/4.01)

These are the stats of the WL > Accepted, pulled quickly from LSN. Last two cycles, excludes URMs. While this doesn't tell us our own chances of getting in, it does give some idea of who is getting in.

ETA: On an unrelated note, I am about to send in a LOCI and would like to get some feedback. Would any of y'all be willing to take a look? (I know I'm competing with you for a seat, but I have faith you guys wont give me terriful critiques). Shoot me a PM if you're down

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Sun May 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Is it worth mentioning in my LOCI that I am interested in their JD/PhD Program (In Biomedical Sciences), even if I intend to learn more about it during my 1L before applying?

When do you all think the next JS wave will be?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:16 pm

dnptan wrote:Is it worth mentioning in my LOCI that I am interested in their JD/PhD Program (In Biomedical Sciences), even if I intend to learn more about it during my 1L before applying?

When do you all think the next JS wave will be?

It may be best to focus on how much you want to be a JD candidate, but idk really.

I think the conventional wisdom is mid-May, but I'm hoping they start the party this week.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 pm

dnptan wrote:Is it worth mentioning in my LOCI that I am interested in their JD/PhD Program (In Biomedical Sciences), even if I intend to learn more about it during my 1L before applying?

Not sure, but if it's something unique to Harvard--or at least if it's something they offer which the school you deposited at does not--then I think it would be worth it. In my Why Michigan and Why Duke essays, I talked about programs I wasn't sure I wanted to do and emphasized that I appreciated that I would have the opportunity if I decided to do them.

dnptan wrote:When do you all think the next JS wave will be?

JS what? JS1? If they're doing any more interviews, the invites should go out sometime this week.

JS2? I'm betting the week of the 20th.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:29 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:These are the stats of the WL > Accepted, pulled quickly from LSN. Last two cycles, excludes URMs. While this doesn't tell us our own chances of getting in, it does give some idea of who is getting in.

thx for the stats homie. will add to OP.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 am

Lavitz wrote:JS2? I'm betting the week of the 20th.

I know that's much more logical than this week or next week because of the JS1 schedule, but May 20 just seems so damn far away. :(

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 am

TripTrip wrote:I know that's much more logical than this week or next week because of the JS1 schedule, but May 20 just seems so damn far away. :(

I've waited six months. A few more weeks is nothing.

Totally understand though. Those first few weeks are tough.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon May 06, 2013 12:42 am

Lavitz wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I know that's much more logical than this week or next week because of the JS1 schedule, but May 20 just seems so damn far away. :(

I've waited six months. A few more weeks is nothing.

Totally understand though. Those first few weeks are tough.

Considering I started prepping lightly prepping lsat stuff almost a year and a half ago.. the wait at this point is meh. The anxiety now is more like I just want to know for certain where to find a place to live - it doesn't even matter where. I realize that I (as well you most of us ITT) have great options and will probably be successful is our own rite no matter where we go. I just want to know where I'll be living.

La.Chocolate

Postby La.Chocolate » Mon May 06, 2013 12:46 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:175+, 3.9+ - 1
175+, 3.8-3.9 - 2
175+, 3.7-3.8 - 3
175+, <3.7 - 2 (177/3.4 & 176/3.62)

173/4, 3.9+ - 3
173/4, 3.8-3.9 - 8
173/4, 3.7-3.8 - 1
173/4, <3.7 - 0

171/2, 3.9+ - 4
171/2, 3.8-3.9 - 7
171/2, 3.7-3.8 - 0
171/2, <3.7 - 0

170, 3.9+ - 4
170, 3.8-3.9 - 0
170, 3.7-3.8 - 0
170, <3.7 - 0

<170 - 1 (167/4.01)

These are the stats of the WL > Accepted, pulled quickly from LSN. Last two cycles, excludes URMs. While this doesn't tell us our own chances of getting in, it does give some idea of who is getting in.

ETA: On an unrelated note, I am about to send in a LOCI and would like to get some feedback. Would any of y'all be willing to take a look? (I know I'm competing with you for a seat, but I have faith you guys wont give me terriful critiques). Shoot me a PM if you're down

darn...those stats present a bleak outlook for me...lol

but still have my fingers crossed...for whatever it is worth.

I was also told during my interview that it would take several weeks before Harvard would decide upon the wait-list....

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon May 06, 2013 12:48 am

La.Chocolate wrote:

I was also told during my interview that it would take several weeks before Harvard would decide upon the wait-list....

last two years had near 100% accept rate for WL -> js1's.

Does that make you feel better ?

If they AREN'T interviewing the entire wait list (at this point it doesn't seem like it..) then you have a decent shot. Just BEING on the WL gives you a much better chance at admission (~20%) over regular admission.

At least that's what I tell myself.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon May 06, 2013 12:51 am

toothbrush wrote:Considering I started prepping lightly prepping lsat stuff almost a year and a half ago.. the wait at this point is meh. The anxiety now is more like I just want to know for certain where to find a place to live - it doesn't even matter where. I realize that I (as well you most of us ITT) have great options and will probably be successful is our own rite no matter where we go. I just want to know where I'll be living.

Well, I was referring to post-JS1 waiting, which is a special kind of beast.

I do want to get this over with, though.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 am

Lavitz wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Considering I started prepping lightly prepping lsat stuff almost a year and a half ago.. the wait at this point is meh. The anxiety now is more like I just want to know for certain where to find a place to live - it doesn't even matter where. I realize that I (as well you most of us ITT) have great options and will probably be successful is our own rite no matter where we go. I just want to know where I'll be living.

Well, I was referring to post-JS1 waiting, which is a special kind of beast.

I do want to get this over with, though.

Your cycle is nuts.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon May 06, 2013 12:59 am

toothbrush wrote:Your cycle is nuts.

You just realized this now? :lol:

Really though, I still think the only ridiculous part was Columbia. I can legitimately see how Chicago and Harvard might not like me.

TrustInMusic

Postby TrustInMusic » Mon May 06, 2013 1:23 am

Lavitz wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Your cycle is nuts.

You just realized this now? :lol:

Really though, I still think the only ridiculous part was Columbia. I can legitimately see how Chicago and Harvard might not like me.

I know someone with virtually identical stats as yours who got in via waitlist 2 years ago. Hope to see you in September :)

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon May 06, 2013 2:27 am

Facebook group is down to 489.

La.Chocolate

Postby La.Chocolate » Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 am

toothbrush wrote:
La.Chocolate wrote:

WOAH!

Are you serious?

However, given the unusual change this year (how the wait-list was compiled much earlier, and probably includes many more people),
I'm not sure how applicable that would be.

But yes, that does make me feel MUCH better. I will now go to the bathroom, lock the doors, and cry myself out.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon May 06, 2013 9:29 am

La.Chocolate wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
La.Chocolate wrote:

WOAH!

Are you serious?

However, given the unusual change this year (how the wait-list was compiled much earlier, and probably includes many more people),

But yes, that does make me feel MUCH better. I will now go to the bathroom, lock the doors, and cry myself out.

lmao a good cry is definitely called for.

And yup, you have to balance that stat with the fact that it seems like this cycle they front-loaded wl-> js1's. Other factors that could balance that out is a growing # of LSN/ TLS users (aka more people reporting being wl/ js1 this year). It's all speculation at this point.

I would, however, put my money on a 50%+ WL-> JS1 stat for this year regardless.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 am

toothbrush wrote:I would, however, put my money on a 50%+ WL-> JS1 stat for this year regardless.

Statistically I agree with this, but it's still hard for me to comprehend that I am more than likely getting into Harvard. It feels like I'm creating a false hope for myself.

sd1234

Postby sd1234 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am

toothbrush wrote:
La.Chocolate wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
La.Chocolate wrote:

WOAH!

Are you serious?

lmao a good cry is definitely called for.

And yup, you have to balance that stat with the fact that it seems like this cycle they front-loaded wl-> js1's. Other factors that could balance that out is a growing # of LSN/ TLS users (aka more people reporting being wl/ js1 this year). It's all speculation at this point.

I would, however, put my money on a 50%+ WL-> JS1 stat for this year regardless.

If that's true, that would seem to be quite bad news for us JS1 -> WL folk, right?

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

TripTrip wrote:
toothbrush wrote:I would, however, put my money on a 50%+ WL-> JS1 stat for this year regardless.

Statistically I agree with this, but it's still hard for me to comprehend that I am more than likely getting into Harvard. It feels like I'm creating a false hope for myself.

Isn't that what we are here for? To rationalize ourselves a decision before one is known even to adcoms? It just happens that in this particular case the decision seems to be positive

Also, previous years' high conversion of post-WL js1->js2 can be partially explained by the fact that they started offering JS1 after the deposit deadline so they knew for sure whom they needed - it was probably a matter of not royally screwing up during the interview to get in. This year it seems like everyone and his granny got JS1s.. I'm still keeping hope though

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 am

eyfl wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Isn't that what we are here for? To rationalize ourselves a decision before one is known even to adcoms? It just happens that in this particular case the decision seems to be positive

Also, previous years' high conversion of post-WL js1->js2 can be partially explained by the fact that they started offering JS1 after the deposit deadline so they knew for sure whom they needed - it was probably a matter of not royally screwing up during the interview to get in. This year it seems like everyone and his granny got JS1s.. I'm still keeping hope though

There's really nothing else to do except speculate idly while we wait. I agree that previous years' post-WL JS1 conversion rate probably won't look much, if anything, like the conversion rate for this year just because of the sheer number of JS1s they're conducting. Still, if you consider they're JS1ing ~1200 to make 850 offers, the odds don't appear to be terrible (although toward the end of the cycle, it's probably more like 500 JS1 candidates to make ~150 offers. Still the fact that 1/3 peeps will probably get a JS2 gives me hope).

broadstreet11

Postby broadstreet11 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
eyfl wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

There's really nothing else to do except speculate idly while we wait. I agree that previous years' post-WL JS1 conversion rate probably won't look much, if anything, like the conversion rate for this year just because of the sheer number of JS1s they're conducting. Still, if you consider they're JS1ing ~1200 to make 850 offers, the odds don't appear to be terrible (although toward the end of the cycle, it's probably more like 500 JS1 candidates to make ~150 offers. Still the fact that 1/3 peeps will probably get a JS2 gives me hope).

That's way too low of a conversion rate. Throughout the cycle at least 65% of the JS1s have gotten a JS2. I expect that rate to be higher off of the waitlist, not lower. It won't be 100%, but definitely not the 30% you're suggesting.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon May 06, 2013 12:15 pm

eyfl wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I don't see it in the data that "everyone and his granny got js1's".

I do see that they offered js1's earlier than previously, however. This could be attributed to a lot of things. For all we know, HLS is expecting to draw more people from the WL this year (lots of people like Lavitz taking dat money over dat preftige?). Who knows.

However, the WL-> JS1's so far seemto be a spread of good admits and target js1's (urm, hispanics, etc). I feel like they know what they want and the profile they need to fill.

I'm obviously saying this because i've been JS1'd and want that 100% yield, baby.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 pm

toothbrush wrote:...
I'm obviously saying this because i've been JS1'd and want that 100% yield, baby.

Amen.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:55 pm

more speculation plz

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”