Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby digifly » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 am

eyfl wrote:I've just realized that the WL list doesn't have a 'complete date' field. Might be useful for tracking whether it's mostly late applicants that get WLed or it happens across the board.


I was complete around 11/20.

spillman
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:28 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby spillman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:31 am

Checking in, there's nothing quite like getting to wait just a little bit longer to find out if you're in or not

User avatar
rehsalt
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby rehsalt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:14 am

Since there hasn't been nearly enough speculation here yet, I'll try my best.

I just spent a few hours going over the WL threads from the past few years. There appear to be two acceptance categories: the first after the May 1 deposit deadline when the Y, S, Hamiltons, Rubies, etc. withdraw from H; the second probably depends on completely unpredictable circumstances that would cause admitted students to defer or decline and could happen up to and even after orientation. I think the second category is less interesting because it will naturally be much smaller and most people won't be able to wait that long. The question is when the first category starts happening. Complicating matters a bit, it seems that Harvard has a second deadline on May 15 for folks admitted later. (This was the case last year, and maybe people who get in later this month can confirm it.)

It seems normal for post-WL interview invites to start in the beginning of May with people being admitted in mid May. This did not happen last year, when the first reported invite was 5/29 and the first reported JS2 on 6/14. Last year was anomalous since there was a dean change in middle of the cycle. We don't know yet if JS's first full cycle as dean will more closely follow last year with decisions in mid June or previous cycles with decisions in mid May.

But for the sake of speculation, we should keep in mind that this year's waitlist was started earlier than previous cycles, which tended to be formed towards the end of April. This suggests that they are planning to rely heavily on the waitlist this year, so they just threw everyone hanging around, including those they are probably interested in, into the waitlist. And it is possible that this earlier waitlist implies that the timeline will be on the earlier side this year.

One thing we really don't know is for those who already interviewed. In the past some people got invited for a reinterview (a JS1b). These were generally very short interviews asking if they were still interested, where else they have deposited, and the like. These could immediately turn into JS2s or be followed a few days later by one. With this year's new interview format, we don't know yet what they'll do.

For some reason (perhaps foolishness) I feel pretty optimistic about the WL chances. Keep up the spirits, my WL'ed brethren and sistren!

TLDR: We may be looking at waitlist movement in the beginning of May.

eyfl
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby eyfl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 am

rehsalt wrote:...
For some reason (perhaps foolishness) I feel pretty optimistic about the WL chances. Keep up the spirits, my WL'ed brethren and sistren!
...


Good one, I like this theory. Still, I've just purchased Manhattan RC strategy guide for a potential June retake, I blame TripTrip :lol:

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby chickpea » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:45 am

I like this optimistic theory as well.

On another note, I sent Harvard a LOCI a few days ago. Do you think I should also send the admissions office a letter of recommendation from my current employer? My original two recs were from professors.

User avatar
joshhoward
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby joshhoward » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:22 pm

combined the held + WL google docs. also added some analytics and graphs. hope it is helpful!

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:26 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:combined the held + WL google docs. also added some analytics and graphs. hope it is helpful!

Wow, this is nice. Especially the held graph.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 pm

i think someone added me to the spreadsheet :)

Anyone care to speculate why I wasn't dinged?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 pm

rehsalt wrote:One thing we really don't know is for those who already interviewed. In the past some people got invited for a reinterview (a JS1b). These were generally very short interviews asking if they were still interested, where else they have deposited, and the like. These could immediately turn into JS2s or be followed a few days later by one. With this year's new interview format, we don't know yet what they'll do.

I agree with all of your analysis. I just want to say that since JS said this year's cycle would look more like the cycle from 2 years ago, and since the 2011 waitlist thread shows quite a few JR1bs in May--as opposed to only the one I found last cycle in August--I'm also a little more optimistic about some post-JS1 WLs hearing back in early May. And I expect they'll still do the JS1b thing in some form.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby helix23 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:23 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:combined the held + WL google docs. also added some analytics and graphs. hope it is helpful!


Nice thanks

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:58 pm

toothbrush wrote:Anyone care to speculate why I wasn't dinged?

So that I wouldn't be the only one listing Cornell in the WL spreadsheet. 8)

Anyway, is anyone else considering doing an independent visit just in case? I've never visited the school and I feel like I should, both because it may help in the event of a JS1b and because I honestly can't see myself committing to any school sight unseen--even if it is Harvard. And I'm not sure how important it is to visit while classes are in session, but it seems the last day of classes is April 26th, and that's before any potential WL movement.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Lavitz wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Anyone care to speculate why I wasn't dinged?

So that I wouldn't be the only one listing Cornell in the WL spreadsheet. 8)

Anyway, is anyone else considering doing an independent visit just in case? I've never visited the school and I feel like I should, both because it may help in the event of a JS1b and because I honestly can't see myself committing to any school sight unseen--even if it is Harvard. And I'm not sure how important it is to visit while classes are in session, but it seems the last day of classes is April 26th, and that's before any potential WL movement.

I visited HLS last February for shits and giggles when I was in Boston. I didn't contact anyone and frankly I doubt they want to be dropped in on. Not really sure what to get out of that visit either.. I mean .. it's Harvard. The building is pretty nice and the area is ehh. Does anyone know if they acknowledge visitors, and if it would help ?

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby chickpea » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm also considering visiting. Do you think it's worth it even though we won't get to really interact with current students or other members of the law school? I wish waitlisted students could go to ASW :(

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

chickpea wrote:I'm also considering visiting. Do you think it's worth it even though we won't get to really interact with current students or other members of the law school? I wish waitlisted students could go to ASW :(

What do you want to get out of it ?

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby chickpea » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 pm

toothbrush wrote:
chickpea wrote:I'm also considering visiting. Do you think it's worth it even though we won't get to really interact with current students or other members of the law school? I wish waitlisted students could go to ASW :(

What do you want to get out of it ?


I want to learn what it would be like to actually attend the law school so that I can be 100% certain I want to go there if I do miraculously get off the waitlist.

permapress
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby permapress » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:35 pm

oh hold on, there's another interview even for those who already had their js1?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:39 pm

toothbrush wrote:I visited HLS last February for shits and giggles when I was in Boston. I didn't contact anyone and frankly I doubt they want to be dropped in on. Not really sure what to get out of that visit either.. I mean .. it's Harvard. The building is pretty nice and the area is ehh. Does anyone know if they acknowledge visitors, and if it would help ?

I'm not sure, but I read in the Chicago thread that it seems to be a standard practice at Chicago for waitlisted students to visit and that it's polite to e-mail the admissions office before showing up. Once they get there, I honestly have no idea what the office would actually do to accommodate them. I guess I would ask in the Harvard taking questions thread if people do this and what they get out of it. Also, the website does say that they encourage applicants to visit HLS in person and that we're welcome to visit any time using campus maps and self-guided tours.

chickpea wrote:I'm also considering visiting. Do you think it's worth it even though we won't get to really interact with current students or other members of the law school? I wish waitlisted students could go to ASW :(

Agreed. Whatever we do is nothing compared with ASW. It sounds like they pulled out all the stops. In particular, I really wanted to see that presentation arguing how HLS is worth the pricetag, considering what I'd be turning down.

Anyway, I just noticed that there's an Online Tour, so I guess that satisfies my criteria for what I wanted to get out of a visit--assuming interacting with current students, etc. is off the table even in person.

But if anyone wants, we can always descend upon Harvard on the same day and have our own "Waitlisted Students Day" 8)

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:44 pm

permapress wrote:oh hold on, there's another interview even for those who already had their js1?

Seems likely based on past years. It should be shorter and more to gauge interest than anything.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby chickpea » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Lavitz wrote:
toothbrush wrote:I visited HLS last February for shits and giggles when I was in Boston. I didn't contact anyone and frankly I doubt they want to be dropped in on. Not really sure what to get out of that visit either.. I mean .. it's Harvard. The building is pretty nice and the area is ehh. Does anyone know if they acknowledge visitors, and if it would help ?

I'm not sure, but I read in the Chicago thread that it seems to be a standard practice at Chicago for waitlisted students to visit and that it's polite to e-mail the admissions office before showing up. Once they get there, I honestly have no idea what the office would actually do to accommodate them. I guess I would ask in the Harvard taking questions thread if people do this and what they get out of it. Also, the website does say that they encourage applicants to visit HLS in person and that we're welcome to visit any time using campus maps and self-guided tours.

chickpea wrote:I'm also considering visiting. Do you think it's worth it even though we won't get to really interact with current students or other members of the law school? I wish waitlisted students could go to ASW :(

Agreed. Whatever we do is nothing compared with ASW. It sounds like they pulled out all the stops. In particular, I really wanted to see that presentation arguing how HLS is worth the pricetag, considering what I'd be turning down.

Anyway, I just noticed that there's an Online Tour, so I guess that satisfies my criteria for what I wanted to get out of a visit--assuming interacting with current students, etc. is off the table even in person.

But if anyone wants, we can always descend upon Harvard on the same day and have our own "Waitlisted Students Day" 8)


Totally down for "Waitlisted Students Day" :D

ninetails
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby ninetails » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:
permapress wrote:oh hold on, there's another interview even for those who already had their js1?

Seems likely based on past years. It should be shorter and more to gauge interest than anything.


RE JS1b:

I never heard of them before but...It seems like almost everyone on here thinks their JS1 went great but honestly with a 70% (or whatever the figure is now) admit rate post-JS1, if you didn't go JS2 (or even didn't go JS2 quickly enough i.e. got held) it probably didn't go as great as you think it did. A good interviewer will make you feel like it went really well no matter what. JS is a good interviewer.

I think a JS1b is good. And to respond to the person who asked if it was better to be JS0--> waitlist or JS1--> waitlist... If you are JS1--> waitlist they know all and still don't quite want you. If you are JS0--> waitlist you still have something to gain, probably better. So atleast with JS1b people with a bad JS1 get a second chance.

But I am totally biased here because I had a really bad JS1.

regost
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby regost » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 am

Hi guys!! I am just checking in for the first time but wanted to ask a (silly) question about how you responded to the WL email...

It says to reply and include whether you accept and how long you want to remain on the WL. Did you guys just include this info or add LOCI-style content? I dont have any new info to include and am afraid they might expect a LOCI here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:12 am

ninetails wrote:I think a JS1b is good. And to respond to the person who asked if it was better to be JS0--> waitlist or JS1--> waitlist... If you are JS1--> waitlist they know all and still don't quite want you. If you are JS0--> waitlist you still have something to gain, probably better. So atleast with JS1b people with a bad JS1 get a second chance.

You're generally right, but I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the JS1b. I think it's more about yield protection than interviewing you again to see if you're any better this time.

regost wrote:Hi guys!! I am just checking in for the first time but wanted to ask a (silly) question about how you responded to the WL email...

It says to reply and include whether you accept and how long you want to remain on the WL. Did you guys just include this info or add LOCI-style content? I dont have any new info to include and am afraid they might expect a LOCI here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

I know some people here sent LOCIs for this. Personally I just responded with one line about staying on the WL, but that's in part because I LOCI'd Harvard about a week before being WL'd, so I didn't have anything to add. Besides, it's not like they're going to read a giant wave of dozens of LOCIs.

EdSaid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby EdSaid » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:27 am

TripTrip wrote:
ninetails wrote:I think a JS1b is good. And to respond to the person who asked if it was better to be JS0--> waitlist or JS1--> waitlist... If you are JS1--> waitlist they know all and still don't quite want you. If you are JS0--> waitlist you still have something to gain, probably better. So atleast with JS1b people with a bad JS1 get a second chance.

You're generally right, but I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of the JS1b. I think it's more about yield protection than interviewing you again to see if you're any better this time.

regost wrote:Hi guys!! I am just checking in for the first time but wanted to ask a (silly) question about how you responded to the WL email...

It says to reply and include whether you accept and how long you want to remain on the WL. Did you guys just include this info or add LOCI-style content? I dont have any new info to include and am afraid they might expect a LOCI here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!

I know some people here sent LOCIs for this. Personally I just responded with one line about staying on the WL, but that's in part because I LOCI'd Harvard about a week before being WL'd, so I didn't have anything to add. Besides, it's not like they're going to read a giant wave of dozens of LOCIs.


Is everyone sending in a LOCI? I did a short reply saying how long I would stay on the WL, but I don't know if I should send in a longer LOCI. I don't really have anything to new to update them about and it would basically say why I want to go to Harvard, which I thought my KB1and personal statement covered. I'm just not sure if that's something they essentially require or if it would be something that would annoy them for just adding another paper to my file. The TTU dean of admissions mentioned that LOCIs were required there to get off the waitlist, but I don't know if that is the same at Harvard.

penguin2011
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby penguin2011 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 am

I also sent an LOCI about a week before being WLed, but that's because I had something new (work-related) to add. With that in mind, I just sent a one-line reply to stay on the list. In the meantime I'm just staying on the lookout for anything substantial enough to warrant a follow-up. :)

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Jaqen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 am

chickpea wrote:Totally down for "Waitlisted Students Day" :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, danid83, hopeful applicant, jprath2, lawschoolbound2017, VapidP and 33 guests