Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wert3813

Silver

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by wert3813 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 am

eyfl wrote:
cslouisck wrote:Soooo, all the interviews are cancelled... until further notice? Thought it just would have been the ones from last week, but mine today is cancelled as well. Per the HLS Skype account:
Applicants--please be advised that all interviews are cancelled due to University closure and the situation in the Boston/Cambridge area. We will be in touch with more information as soon as possible.
For those of you who still have interviews scheduled this week, I'm not sure what that means, but I'd try hanging out on Skype to see if this message remains the same when you get added.
Did they email you this or you read it in their Skype status?
I think the message is just left over from last week. But if you have an interview soon and get that message, this is probably one of those things worth calling over.

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:52 am

wert3813 wrote:
eyfl wrote:
cslouisck wrote:Soooo, all the interviews are cancelled... until further notice? Thought it just would have been the ones from last week, but mine today is cancelled as well. Per the HLS Skype account:
Applicants--please be advised that all interviews are cancelled due to University closure and the situation in the Boston/Cambridge area. We will be in touch with more information as soon as possible.
For those of you who still have interviews scheduled this week, I'm not sure what that means, but I'd try hanging out on Skype to see if this message remains the same when you get added.
Did they email you this or you read it in their Skype status?
I think the message is just left over from last week. But if you have an interview soon and get that message, this is probably one of those things worth calling over.
Just spoke to JS briefly. She said it's a mistake that that's still up there and that interviews are proceeding as planned. My bad for creating a ruckus.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:31 am

cslouisck wrote:Just spoke to JS briefly. She said it's a mistake that that's still up there and that interviews are proceeding as planned. My bad for creating a ruckus.
Did you have your interview? How'd that go?

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:49 am

toothbrush wrote:
cslouisck wrote:Just spoke to JS briefly. She said it's a mistake that that's still up there and that interviews are proceeding as planned. My bad for creating a ruckus.
Ha. No. She Skyped me as soon as I was back online in my office and I had to do an awkwardly fast walk thing from my cube to the first available room with a door (my coworkers still don't know I'm leaving), at which point we chatted about the mix-up and settled on rescheduling for tomorrow.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 am

cslouisck wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Ha. No. She Skyped me as soon as I was back online in my office and I had to do an awkwardly fast walk thing from my cube to the first available room with a door (my coworkers still don't know I'm leaving), at which point we chatted about the mix-up and settled on rescheduling for tomorrow.
IMO that's a win for you because you got over the jitters of meeting her and doing the Skype thing. And she already saw you so she won't be surprised. Maybe those are things only I worry about, but yeah. Good luck tomorrow! Mine is Friday and i'm getting nervous! Haven't prepared yet.. eeek

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jakeymay

New

Post by jakeymay » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Plus, now you know that you probably have JS.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm

toothbrush wrote: IMO that's a win for you because you got over the jitters of meeting her and doing the Skype thing. And she already saw you so she won't be surprised. Maybe those are things only I worry about, but yeah. Good luck tomorrow! Mine is Friday and i'm getting nervous! Haven't prepared yet.. eeek
I agree with this 100%. I had Skype issues the day of my JS1 and it did help me relax to (1) see that it was JS, not KB (not that I had any preference, it just eliminated uncertainty) and (2) just see that JS was a normal and friendly human being. We had to reschedule and she was able to fit me in 2 hours later. I think being relaxed did nothing but help.

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:21 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
toothbrush wrote: IMO that's a win for you because you got over the jitters of meeting her and doing the Skype thing. And she already saw you so she won't be surprised. Maybe those are things only I worry about, but yeah. Good luck tomorrow! Mine is Friday and i'm getting nervous! Haven't prepared yet.. eeek
I agree with this 100%. I had Skype issues the day of my JS1 and it did help me relax to (1) see that it was JS, not KB (not that I had any preference, it just eliminated uncertainty) and (2) just see that JS was a normal and friendly human being. We had to reschedule and she was able to fit me in 2 hours later. I think being relaxed did nothing but help.
Agreed. I was like, "Oh, she's a real human being and she's smiling. All will soon be right in the world."

GL to the folks who have yet to interview, too.

Longtimelurk

New

Post by Longtimelurk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:29 am

Speculation time.

1. How many waves of waitlist acceptances?
2. Pick a date. When will the first (and only?) wave happen?

I'll start.

One wave.

May 20.

If you don't get it then, you're cooked.

Toodles.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 am

Longtimelurk wrote:Speculation time.

I'll start.

One wave.

May 20.

Toodles.
w/c May 1st.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:34 am

I'll start.

One wave.

May 20.

Toodles.
If it were going to be May 20, I don't think they would start doing interviews now. The first admits will either be the first week of May immediately after the deposit deadline or the second week after the openings for JS1 timeslots have all passed.

Friday's interviews were rescheduled to happen this week.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:48 am

TripTrip wrote:

I'll start.

One wave.

May 20.

Toodles.
If it were going to be May 20, I don't think they would start doing interviews now. The first admits will either be the first week of May immediately after the deposit deadline or the second week after the openings for JS1 timeslots have all passed.

Friday's interviews were rescheduled to happen this week.
JS expressly said not to expect any news for "a few weeks," so I think the possibility of May 1/2/3 is out the door.

My prediction: 2 waves. First large one in the second week of May, smaller second wave at the beginning of June.

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:02 am

Question for any member of the 2016 Facebook group:

Were the people who have been leaving the group removed by a group admin or did they leave on their own? In other words, if someone withdraws from Harvard will an admin remove them from the group?

Carry on with the speculation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 am

rehsalt wrote:Question for any member of the 2016 Facebook group:

Were the people who have been leaving the group removed by a group admin or did they leave on their own? In other words, if someone withdraws from Harvard will an admin remove them from the group?

I'm pretty sure the way Facebook groups work in general is that you can just leave on your own, regardless of the admin's wishes.

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:06 am

chickpea wrote:

I'm pretty sure the way Facebook groups work in general is that you can just leave on your own, regardless of the admin's wishes.
Right, you can leave. But are you taken out if you don't belong there anymore?

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
JS expressly said not to expect any news for "a few weeks," so I think the possibility of May 1/2/3 is out the door.
Well, it technically could be 'this week' & the next one with some decisions coming out in the end of next week. This is all wishful thinking of course.. During my interview a couple of weeks ago JS only said that decisions are unlikely until after deposit deadlines at most schools.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:13 am

rehsalt wrote:
chickpea wrote:

Right, you can leave. But are you taken out if you don't belong there anymore?
Somehow I don't think so. Why does this point matter though? I'm pretty sure people are slowly leaving the Facebook groups for schools they know they won't be attending and some are (for the first time) joining the Facebook group of the school they deposited at. I think the Facebook group numbers will likely fluctuate for a while until people are confident about where they will be attending school next fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 am

chickpea wrote:Somehow I don't think so. Why does this point matter though? I'm pretty sure people are slowly leaving the Facebook groups for schools they know they won't be attending and some are (for the first time) joining the Facebook group of the school they deposited at. I think the Facebook group numbers will likely fluctuate for a while until people are confident about where they will be attending school next fall.
It matters no less than any of the things we endlessly chew over on TLS. I'm trying to figure out if watching the Facebook group will give us an idea of how many spots have opened up and therefore what our chances are. If people are not removed from the group then we can't use that to estimate how many spots they are trying to fill.

Longtimelurk

New

Post by Longtimelurk » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:19 am

My prediction: 2 waves. First large one in the second week of May, smaller second wave at the beginning of June.[/quote]
Why two? Didn't JS say this cycle will be more like the cycle two years ago, where there was only one, mid-may wave?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:16 am

Longtimelurk wrote:My prediction: 2 waves. First large one in the second week of May, smaller second wave at the beginning of June.

Why two? Didn't JS say this cycle will be more like the cycle two years ago, where there was only one, mid-may wave?[/quote]
There's more than likely going to be a few more WL admits than just the first wave. It probably won't look like a wave to us, though.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:23 am

I have no idea if JS said that, or if so, whether she was referring to a particular aspect of the cycle. But I'd be surprised if H, which historically pulls a quarter to a third of its class from the WL, is done with movement in May. YS and CCN will probably still be making some offers through May and I would expect that to impact H's yield. Many folks will still be evaluating finances/scholarships through May and some will ultimately pass on this cycle for job opportunities, etc. So the second wave might be more of a steady trickle than a wave as seats become available, but in any case I think they make offers through late summer as they historically have done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:I have no idea if JS said that, or if so, whether she was referring to a particular aspect of the cycle. But I'd be surprised if H, which historically pulls a quarter to a third of its class from the WL, is done with movement in May. YS and CCN will probably still be making some offers through May and I would expect that to impact H's yield. Many folks will still be evaluating finances/scholarships through May and some will ultimately pass on this cycle for job opportunities, etc. So the second wave might be more of a steady trickle than a wave as seats become available, but in any case I think they make offers through late summer as they historically have done.
I generally agree with this idea. I think it makes sense for them to wait a little bit to allow natural attrition to affect the waitlist and the initially deposited class before they make their big move with the waitlist. They've said that they will consider deferrals case-by-case up until July, so that could be a source of post-May WL movement and with any large group of people there are inevitable life circumstance changes among at least a few folks that will open spots well into the late summer.

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Weighing in here on the FB group discussion...
Don't forget, ppl also turn off their facebooks around this time to study for finals, write papers, etc...So, I'm really not sure how much knowledge we can gain by analyzing the facebook group. Some may also not have joined b/c they're traveling int'lly

Though, I for one would also like to know how many ppl they've ACTUALLY accepted at this point. :(

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 pm

shakespeare wrote: ...
Though, I for one would also like to know how many ppl they've ACTUALLY accepted at this point. :(
I think for WLed people it's more relevant to know how many of the admitted will withdraw after the deposit deadline.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 pm

My prediction:

Small-medium wave the first full week of May (6-10) then sporadic admits throughout the summer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”