Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lavitz

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:20 am

lawschooler2be wrote:Yes, this sounds likely. On another note, I wonder how the admissions process works at Harvard. YLS, for all its mystique, is surprisingly very transparent. But it is unclear who is on the committee at HLS (professors, admission staff, alumni) and how much say the committee has vs the deans at the helm. And also how the numbers matrix rumored to exist works.

I think it's just a bunch of admissions staff.

From an interview with JS,
Jessica Soban wrote:Our Director of Admissions has 15 years of admissions experience, 11 of which she's spent at HLS. One of my Assistant Directors has 12 years of admissions experience, and the other is completing her second year in our office after getting a Masters in Higher Education at Harvard's Graduate School of Education. I also would say that our support staff members are some of the best at the Law School.

shakespeare

Postby shakespeare » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 pm

lawschooler2be wrote:Lol, yes, probably this is what happened (assuming by first round you are referring to the may wave). I don't understand why someone would fake enthusiasm during a js1b though. Have they really not thought through what they would do in case they got into harvard? Or maybe it is the financial aid factor (since aid decisions come out later) that causes them to rethink their plans. Anyway, do we think numbers are set now and there will be a final wave coming? If so, tmrw? Next week? People on this website have been surprisingly good at predicting wave dates so far.

I was given "homework" from js. Yes my first law school assignment. It was to look over the hls financial aif website anf read through it, talk to the folks and "sleep on it"

She also asked me ab my other financial aid offers.

I think bc she was so specific about going on the aid website, a lot of people may have tuened hls dowb for better aid packages. Since she wanted me to sleep on it, I think we're a little dissapointed with the number of js2s who sPoke different ly during their jsb1s.

Also, stats r really low so I think they are probably happy with their median now.

shakespeare

Postby shakespeare » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Sorry on phone. I meant they were disappointed w the low number of plk who accepted their js2.

And I meant my stats are ridic low. Its a joke that I got in but she never adked me about my lsat score in my interview or why I didn't retake it.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Would it be any use to submit a third LOCI now? It has been over a month since I last heard from them and with no JS1 I think it's pretty bleak for me.

Or should I just stay quiet and hope that something comes through super late?

nextstep222

Postby nextstep222 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 pm

for waiting JS0s, to be totally honest, I would just call and ask whether they anticipate interviewing more students, and what a student can do to secure an interview. It's basically July, for chrissakes. What do you have to lose? If the situation is that hopeless, maybe they'll take pity and ding you sooner. If it isn't, maybe they'll be impressed by your gumption or drop a tidbit.

eta: caution and fear

testaker

Postby testaker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Do we think it's nada for today?

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:04 pm

shakespeare wrote:...
Also, stats r really low so I think they are probably happy with their median now.

Your 'slightly below 4.0 GPA' is not 'really low'.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:55 pm

eyfl wrote:
shakespeare wrote:...

Your 'slightly below 4.0 GPA' is not 'really low'.

Shakespeare, my dear brother or sister, Eyfl did not claim his or her GPA is "really low;" Eylf said that his or her "stats r really low," which, LSAT and GPA taken together relative to the combinations normally accepted by HLS, is a plausible claim.

Congratulations, Eyfl! You're another great example of a person whose success testifies as to the preeminence of persons, and not merely numbers, in application to the best schools.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:56 pm

--ImageRemoved--

EDIT: Also, can we make it to 100 pages? Are there no more tangential conversations to have?

read2465

Postby read2465 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 am

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:41 am

read2465 wrote:I was just lurking here, hoping that more had gotten good news, but wanted to say that at the ASW in April, several of the professors in attendance talked about having read admissions packets, and a few talked about reading many, many packets. I'm not sure how large of a role they have in admissions, but it would seem that they do have some role.

Ah, ok then. Interesting.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:58 am

So, just to re-cap. The second waitlist-JS2 wave happened Wednesday, and those folks were given 24 hours to decide.

So spots (might) open up this week and they send out more JS2s?

anon903817

Postby anon903817 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:So, just to re-cap. The second waitlist-JS2 wave happened Wednesday, and those folks were given 24 hours to decide.

For the record, when I got the call, the way she said it was something like "because there are more people in line behind you, we're asking that people respond to offers within 24 hours". I forget her exact wording, but it was something to that effect. I wasn't sure if she was referring to whoever she was planning on calling if I didn't accept, or to a new set of people who she'd call after finishing with the group I was in (sorry I don't remember exactly what she said, I was more focused on trying to not say anything dumb, and trying to figure out my own situation, than interpreting this).

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:46 pm

anon903817 wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:So, just to re-cap. The second waitlist-JS2 wave happened Wednesday, and those folks were given 24 hours to decide.

For the record, when I got the call, the way she said it was something like "because there are more people in line behind you, we're asking that people respond to offers within 24 hours". I forget her exact wording, but it was something to that effect. I wasn't sure if she was referring to whoever she was planning on calling if I didn't accept, or to a new set of people who she'd call after finishing with the group I was in (sorry I don't remember exactly what she said, I was more focused on trying to not say anything dumb, and trying to figure out my own situation, than interpreting this).

In my little fantasy world this means they're trying to secure medians before letting URM / low # folks in (yes, accepting 75%ile+ GPA / however low LSAT & 50%ile+ LSAT / however low GPA is securing medians, at least when it comes to WL).

lawschooler2be

Postby lawschooler2be » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Do we have evidence this is usually the way HLS proceeds (i.e. securing medians first and then going for lower numbers) or is it possible it is all just mixed now? No one has updated the spreadsheet in a long time.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:43 pm

What's up, guys? Is anyone excited?

testaker

Postby testaker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Is there reason to be? I feel like I keep getting excited, thinking something might happen each day, and then it doesn't :(

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm excited! Could definitely be movement this week, given that they gave a 24-hour turnaround to JS2s last week. They're decreasing the turnaround time, from one week last month to one day this month.

PrentissJames

Postby PrentissJames » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:26 pm

WOAH! I've been in central West Virginia for the last week without internet and all of a sudden all of this movement!

There's reason to be excited because we will all be celebrating by the end of the week! #optimism

Congrats to everyone so far...

...But I still don't understand how people would say 'Yes' on their JS1b's and then not accept admission. A lot of us (myself included) would accept it even if they gave us a 1-hour deadline.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm

PrentissJames wrote:WOAH! I've been in central West Virginia for the last week without internet and all of a sudden all of this movement!

There's reason to be excited because we will all be celebrating by the end of the week! #optimism

Congrats to everyone so far...

...But I still don't understand how people would say 'Yes' on their JS1b's and then not accept admission. A lot of us (myself included) would accept it even if they gave us a 1-hour deadline.

Man, exactly! I was thinking if I get this question, I'd say I dont need even 24 minutes!

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Hmmmm. You might be on to something.

Maybe there's still a bunch of seats to fill, EVEN IF people accept their offers?

So maybe everyone is* saying yes, but they still have more seats?

PrentissJames

Postby PrentissJames » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:Hmmmm. You might be on to something.

Maybe there's still a bunch of seats to fill, EVEN IF people accept their offers?

Which would then go into the unfounded-yet--optimistic hypothesis that they are filling out their high numbered people first and THEN calling all of us up after!

And that's something that I can buy into! (to help me get through the week)

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 pm

PrentissJames wrote:

Which would then go into the unfounded-yet--optimistic hypothesis that they are filling out their high numbered people first and THEN calling all of us up after!

It makes sense! I mean, they're Harvard Law--surely if they wanted to avoid the summer trickle they could. Maybe they don't have* to make us wait but they are nonetheless--to mess with us a little?

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:
PrentissJames wrote:

It makes sense! I mean, they're Harvard Law--surely if they wanted to avoid the summer trickle they could. Maybe they don't have* to make us wait but they are nonetheless--to mess with us a little?

I'd say it's either tomorrow (Wednesday) or Friday. Fingers crossed!

lawschooler2be

Postby lawschooler2be » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:41 pm

So yes, the 24 hour turnaround time is pretty surprising (I don't recall reading anything like this in previous HLS waitlist threads, though correct me if I am wrong). It does provide some evidence for the "low numbers wave" / "third wave" theory perhaps, since it seems like there is another wave they need to get to (as opposed to just going down a list of similar people). Right? Right? There is hope?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”