Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschooler2be

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby lawschooler2be » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Is the status checker not working or is it just me?

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:06 pm

lawschooler2be wrote:Is the status checker not working or is it just me?

Not working for me either

testaker

Postby testaker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 am

Longtimelurk wrote:
lawschooler2be wrote:Is the status checker not working or is it just me?

Not working for me either

Weird. Mine still is.

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:57 am

Longtimelurk wrote:
lawschooler2be wrote:Do we still think a 2nd wave for people with lower numbers is coming?

So it's weird because I think we were all sort of assuming (based on the fact that there were no URMs or any low number acceptances in the big waitlist acceptance wave) that the second wave would be coming. But now I'm starting to wonder why we're all thinking that. There's really no precedent for it, as I see it. There's a big wave, and then a tiny trickle at the end of the summer.

Not sure why people (including me) think the second wave is coming.

What is classified as a low number acceptance? I was accepted from the waitlist with a 169 (third time)/4.14/non-URM. Though my GPA is very high, my LSAT is under the 25th percentile, and given other factors (C&F issue, multiple LSATs, large state school), it is mildly surprising that I was accepted. But I guess based on the other admits from the waitlist noted on the spreadsheet, I might just be an outlier.

penguin2011

Postby penguin2011 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:05 am

kfischm1 wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:
lawschooler2be wrote:Do we still think a 2nd wave for people with lower numbers is coming?

So it's weird because I think we were all sort of assuming (based on the fact that there were no URMs or any low number acceptances in the big waitlist acceptance wave) that the second wave would be coming. But now I'm starting to wonder why we're all thinking that. There's really no precedent for it, as I see it. There's a big wave, and then a tiny trickle at the end of the summer.

Not sure why people (including me) think the second wave is coming.

What is classified as a low number acceptance? I was accepted from the waitlist with a 169 (third time)/4.14/non-URM. Though my GPA is very high, my LSAT is under the 25th percentile, and given other factors (C&F issue, multiple LSATs, large state school), it is mildly surprising that I was accepted. But I guess based on the other admits from the waitlist noted on the spreadsheet, I might just be an outlier.

It's probably precisely because you obtained such a high GPA from a large school. You've shown them you can stand out. I would think they see more high LSATs than high GPAs (since you can study to improve your LSAT but once you graduate, your GPA is set in stone), but I could also just be making this up. :) Congratulations on keeping it so high!

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:49 am

penguin2011 wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:
lawschooler2be wrote:It's probably precisely because you obtained such a high GPA from a large school. You've shown them you can stand out. I would think they see more high LSATs than high GPAs (since you can study to improve your LSAT but once you graduate, your GPA is set in stone), but I could also just be making this up. :) Congratulations on keeping it so high!

Have to keep in mind the percentiles. 173 is top 1%, there were about 100k to 120k test takers this year so roughly 1.1k people with 173+. Same doesn't apply for GPAs, from which a school (like mine) has 3k 3.80+ GPAs alone. Not all of those apply to Law school, but when you consider how many schools pump out those GPAs, it's got to be more than 1.1k total.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:13 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:
lawschooler2be wrote:It's probably precisely because you obtained such a high GPA from a large school. You've shown them you can stand out. I would think they see more high LSATs than high GPAs (since you can study to improve your LSAT but once you graduate, your GPA is set in stone), but I could also just be making this up. :) Congratulations on keeping it so high!

Have to keep in mind the percentiles. 173 is top 1%, there were about 100k to 120k test takers this year so roughly 1.1k people with 173+. Same doesn't apply for GPAs, from which a school (like mine) has 3k 3.80+ GPAs alone. Not all of those apply to Law school, but when you consider how many schools pump out those GPAs, it's got to be more than 1.1k total.[/quote]

I wonder about this. Glancing at LSN, there are about 60 GPAs at or above the 75th percentile and maybe 80-90 LSATs at or above that 75th, so that limited sample suggests high GPAs might be scarcer and thus more valuable to H. I also think the competition for top-end GPAs is also tougher: HYSVPC(hicago) and B to a lesser extent love dem high GPAs (3.9+) but only HYCC and N to a lesser extent love the high LSATs.

I bet elterrible has some stat analysis of whether an additional GPA or LSAT point is more valuable, but I'm too lazy to look this up.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:14 am

Happy Harvard-finds-out-they-have-more-spots-open Day to all!

PrentissJames

Postby PrentissJames » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 am

Longtimelurk wrote:Happy Harvard-finds-out-they-have-more-spots-open Day to all!

And hopefully another wave starts because I don't want to put down my housing deposit for CLS yet! Lol

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:46 pm

PrentissJames wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:Happy Harvard-finds-out-they-have-more-spots-open Day to all!

And hopefully another wave starts because I don't want to put down my housing deposit for CLS yet! Lol

How did you avoid putting it down thus far? My deadline was a long time ago, so I had no choice. Is that non-refundable? I'm assuming so, so it'll suck to have to eat that if I manage to get in to Harvard.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 am

untar614 wrote:
PrentissJames wrote:

How did you avoid putting it down thus far? My deadline was a long time ago, so I had no choice. Is that non-refundable? I'm assuming so, so it'll suck to have to eat that if I manage to get in to Harvard.

I'm still holding out on signing a 12mo lease that you I can't break... It's tough man. How long do you hold out? I mean, yeah, in theory I'd take harvard on August 25th but man, it'll be a scramble. I just want to know for sure at this point. We all have great options, we deserve to know, though.

I'll still take HLS though..

nextstep222

Postby nextstep222 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:09 pm

Anyone want to call and ask when we should expect to hear back?

:D

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 pm

nextstep222 wrote:Anyone want to call and ask when we should expect to hear back?

I did that last week to no avail.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 am

toothbrush wrote:
nextstep222 wrote:Anyone want to call and ask when we should expect to hear back?

I did that Friday and they wouldn't give up the intel.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:46 am

txdude45 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

What they say?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

What they say?

Don't be lazy I literally posted what happened a few pages back.

The short answer is nothing. They said if you don't want to wait then let them know and they'll happily take you off the list, lol.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:41 pm

toothbrush wrote:The short answer is nothing. They said if you don't want to wait then let them know and they'll happily take you off the list, lol.

Lol, did they really use "happily" or a word like it?

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 pm

- Could this week be the week?
- No
- Why of course it could! Of course it could.

By now it all seems like a dream, though.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:51 pm

eyfl wrote:- Could this week be the week?
- No
- Why of course it could! Of course it could.

By now it all seems like a dream, though.

Man it just has to be! Why would they wait any longer? The last deadline was Friday. Maybe they chase down the people who didn't deposit today and tomorrow and then accept some people on Wednesday? No way they sit around thumb-twiddling.

Would love someone who got accepted off the waitlist and turned down the offer to chime in! Any on TLS we could ask?

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm

What if the class is full?

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Aussiebum wrote:What if the class is full?

Can't be--we have confirmed a few people who turned down their Waitlist offer. If class was truly full they would reject everyone still waiting.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:Can't be--we have confirmed a few people who turned down their Waitlist offer. If class was truly full they would reject everyone still waiting.

Unless they intentionally handed out offers to more people than they needed, expecting at least a few of them to turn it down, and got the predicted yield exactly right.

Also, they never reject everyone because people may decide to withdraw over the summer for a variety of reasons.

testaker

Postby testaker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:Can't be--we have confirmed a few people who turned down their Waitlist offer. If class was truly full they would reject everyone still waiting.

Unless they intentionally handed out offers to more people than they needed, expecting at least a few of them to turn it down, and got the predicted yield exactly right.

Also, they never reject everyone because people may decide to withdraw over the summer for a variety of reasons.

This is correct.

Regardless of whether there are still a few spots they will fill from the wait list, they will still keep a few people on until the bitter, bitter end.

A class currently being full is not a sure thing. Not to be a big downer, but someone from the incoming class might die or become seriously ill, might have a spouse become ill, get plucked off of Yale's wait list due to these same events occurring to a YLS class member, etc etc.

In those extremely rare situations, Harvard (or any) school will want to fill the spot, even if that only happens to one person. Thus, some will be kept on the WL until HLS classes have started, regardless.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm

testaker wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

This is correct.

Regardless of whether there are still a few spots they will fill from the wait list, they will still keep a few people on until the bitter, bitter end.

A class currently being full is not a sure thing. Not to be a big downer, but someone from the incoming class might die or become seriously ill, might have a spouse become ill, get plucked off of Yale's wait list due to these same events occurring to a YLS class member, etc etc.

In those extremely rare situations, Harvard (or any) school will want to fill the spot, even if that only happens to one person. Thus, some will be kept on the WL until HLS classes have started, regardless.

Right but let's not forget that some people have already***** "become ill". They became ill last Friday when they decided not to accept their HLS admission.

So today***, HLS has spots to fill. It is not in their interest to wait to fill them. Fill them ASAP seems like best policy to me.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:So today***, HLS has spots to fill. It is not in their interest to wait to fill them. Fill them ASAP seems like best policy to me.

And don't forget about the low #'s / URM wave that has been prophesied on these very pages!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”