Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toothbrush

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 am

Do you think that if I called them they would give me a guesstimate to whether the class is full yet / if they expect any WL movement ?

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 am

toothbrush wrote:Do you think that if I called them they would give me a guesstimate to whether the class is full yet / if they expect any WL movement ?

Is there really anything to lose at this point?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:00 am

digifly wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Do you think that if I called them they would give me a guesstimate to whether the class is full yet / if they expect any WL movement ?

Is there really anything to lose at this point?

Honestly.. no there isn't. Except for lots of money in rent at another school because I wait too long to find housing there.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:02 am

I am sure they would. Just make sure they don't discover your identity. Maybe that would hurt your chances? I don't know if it matters at this point. I would commend you for your courage if you did (and would love you forever if you shared with us what they said).

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 am

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Louey12

Postby Louey12 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:31 am

dinged.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 am

Louey12 wrote:dinged.

sorry.

stats ? dates ? js1 ?

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

OMG I am so sorry! I wonder why they are rejecting people before they hear back from their last offers. THS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN! AAAAAHHHH!

Was it an email or regular mail?

Louey12

Postby Louey12 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 am

toothbrush wrote:

sorry.

stats ? dates ? js1 ?

really strong softs, really strong GPA and academic record, applied after HLS deadline (in March) but WLed, not a very good LSAT. No JS1. I don't want to be too specific here so as not to give myself away. If you want more details you may pm me.

Louey12

Postby Louey12 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 am

Aussiebum wrote:

OMG I am so sorry! I wonder why they are rejecting people before they hear back from their last offers. THS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN! AAAAAHHHH!

thank you :) it was an email.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

Louey12 wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:

thank you :) it was an email.

Let the obsessive email checking commence!

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:09 pm

:( sad day

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm

toothbrush wrote::( sad day

Can we think of any reason dings would be underreported compared to acceptances? I'm just confused why we've seen such a small number of dings...

feelingood

Postby feelingood » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Question: if I'm going to be out of the country with no phone service for 2 weeks starting June 20 (i.e. the day before the last wave's deposit deadline), should I send some sort of notice? Or would they email me regardless? I would kill myself if I was given a spot over the phone, didn't respond in time, then lost it.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:

Can we think of any reason dings would be underreported compared to acceptances? I'm just confused why we've seen such a small number of dings...

People active on TLS are more likely to be extremely engaged with the law school process and have higher numbers than your average applicant. Out acceptances will typically be higher than the overall acceptance rate, so yes, it's possible that dings are underreported. To what extent, I have no idea.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:41 pm

RSterling wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:

People active on TLS are more likely to be extremely engaged with the law school process and have higher numbers than your average applicant. Out acceptances will typically be higher than the overall acceptance rate, so yes, it's possible that dings are underreported. To what extent, I have no idea.

Also, rejections are underreported in general since everyone wants to brag about acceptances but not everyone is brave enough to admit a rejection.
Also, some people might want to forget it once and for all and not post about it somewhere.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:

They gain nothing from rejecting people off their wait-list at this point and they stand to lose flexibility if they do. If they reject people too soon they lose the ability to draw from the wait-list to fill a spot with a particular profile that might suddenly be lacking when a particular admit with URM status/interesting soft decides not to attend at the last minuter for whatever reason. I think we will probably see an enormous rejection wave at the very end of the summer once the class is full and they no longer need to keep their options open. In the meantime they will accept a few people sporadically, and it won't be solely based on numbers but rather on what that person can contribute to the diversity of the class.

I also don't know what I'm talking about so take this with a grain of salt.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Aussiebum wrote:
They gain nothing from rejecting people off their wait-list

Then why have they rejected people off the waitlist?

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:
They gain nothing from rejecting people off their wait-list

Then why have they rejected people off the waitlist?

Because the statement is false. Though many people pretend otherwise, the admission committees are made of people, and generally people feel bad when they treat others poorly. So they do gain something from rejecting people off the wait-list: the satisfaction that comes from giving others peace of mind.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:47 pm

I did call today. They didn't have much info. Just said that they are reviewing the WL every few weeks to see what they need. Pretty generic as expected. They can't render a decision or say if the class is full yet.

It ended by them saying to let them know if my plans have changed. That made me hang up quick.

:(

digifly

Postby digifly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:09 pm

toothbrush wrote:I did call today. They didn't have much info. Just said that they are reviewing the WL every few weeks to see what they need. Pretty generic as expected. They can't render a decision or say if the class is full yet.

It ended by them saying to let them know if my plans have changed. That made me hang up quick.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Thanks for being brave enough to call! I'd suggest a deep breath and a few drinks, and then stop letting HLS ruin your summer ;)

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:27 pm

toothbrush wrote:I did call today. They didn't have much info. Just said that they are reviewing the WL every few weeks to see what they need. Pretty generic as expected. They can't render a decision or say if the class is full yet.

Believe it or not, they probably get ten of these calls a day. It sounds generic, but it's probably true. If the class was full, we'd have dings. Don't worry about it, but I appreciate you calling.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Bravo! Thanks for running the risk for the rest of us. You are the best. Extra sprinkles for you!

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:12 am

feelingood wrote:Question: if I'm going to be out of the country with no phone service for 2 weeks starting June 20 (i.e. the day before the last wave's deposit deadline), should I send some sort of notice? Or would they email me regardless? I would kill myself if I was given a spot over the phone, didn't respond in time, then lost it.

Email them and let them know. I was out of the country and requested email communication and they were very accommodating and even mentioned which country I was in in the acceptance email. They're on top of stuff, so just give them a heads up.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Only one ding yesterday? Really weird--what do we make of that?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”