Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lookingforwardtols

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby lookingforwardtols » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi Friends,

Apologies if I missed this, but would someone mind explaining the logic behind the speculation that there will be a second wave, this time composed of URMs? Am I correct that it appeared that the first wave wasn't URM heavy? What's the precedent?

Thanks!

vamopalla

Postby vamopalla » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:29 am

lookingforwardtols wrote:Hi Friends,

Apologies if I missed this, but would someone mind explaining the logic behind the speculation that there will be a second wave, this time composed of URMs? Am I correct that it appeared that the first wave wasn't URM heavy? What's the precedent?

Thanks!

Historically HLS has had a massive wave in May, followed by a smaller one in June, followed by a trickle. TLS did not catch any URM movement in the massive wave but historically URMs have made up 4 or 5 of the total 25 to 30 admits (numbers vary slightly but that's the ball park) that TLS catches off the WL. TLS is obviously fallible so there might have been movement that wasn't caught, or less than 7 URMs total (since the assumption is that TLS is a seventh of the total WL) were admitted, or it just had an unlucky batch of URMs. Whatever happened, the point is that TLS didn't catch any movement so the speculation is that URMs might make up part of the second much smaller wave of admits. Keep in mind too that it doesn't look like any URMs have been added to the fb group.

This year's twist, tho, is that since they made phone calls asking people's commitment level before they were pulled from the WL, the yield should be higher than in years past so the class should (or at least HLS hopes so) be stable sooner bc less people should turn down the acceptances. If that's the case, then the trickle might be almost non existent. And it could also be the case that HLS got enough URMs so it won't have to rely on its WL. At this point only JS and KB know so we should just sit back, enjoy summer, and prepare and get excited for our concrete plans.

Hope this helps!

This will also be my last post since I'm gonna follow my own advice. Hasta que la vida nos junte otra vez, compadres.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:35 am

vamopalla wrote:Hasta que la vida nos junte otra vez, compadres.

rip

i stopped following this thread because it makes me feel sad.

love you all

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 pm

toothbrush wrote:
vamopalla wrote:Hasta que la vida nos junte otra vez, compadres.

rip

i stopped following this thread because it makes me feel sad.

love you all

We love you too. And we request your presence at the non-pity party we are having at Columbia in the fall. :D

feelingood

Postby feelingood » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Someone put me on the pity party list--I'll be in Harlem as well.

Also, have people just totally given up at this point with respect to this waitlist? Especially if they are, what I've come to fondly term, an ORP (over-represented plurality) and not a URM. My pessimism is based off of people's constantly expressed "URM wave is coming" mentality.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 pm

feelingood wrote:Someone put me on the pity party list--I'll be in Harlem as well.

Also, have people just totally given up at this point with respect to this waitlist? Especially if they are, what I've come to fondly term, an ORP (over-represented plurality) and not a URM. My pessimism is based off of people's constantly expressed "URM wave is coming" mentality.

At this point I'm just contempt with whatever happens. There are multiple possibilities and none is more likely than another (despite what people express here). The advice of HLS WL blog post (act as if you aren't going to be accepted but be ready in case you are) is golden, IMO. Just saves the stressing out (sadly I only realized this after the first post-WL JS2 wave was over).

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 pm

feelingood wrote:Someone put me on the pity party list

Aussiebum wrote:non-pity party

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:25 am

Facebook keeps "suggesting" I join the HLS '16 group. It's almost like they like to continuously rub it in.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 am

Vincent wrote:Facebook keeps "suggesting" I join the HLS '16 group. It's almost like they like to continuously rub it in.

+1

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Yeah... let's be clear: the official name of this party is "I'ts your loss, Harvard". Positively NOT a pity party.

Hopefully all of us can attend... unlike HLS. :lol:

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Aussiebum wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yeah... let's be clear: the official name of this party is "I'ts your loss, Harvard". Positively NOT a pity party.

What if, at the party, you asked someone:

"Well, when did you get waitlisted?"

and he was like

"I was admitted in Dec. I'm here for the free beer."

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:14 pm

LexLeon wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

What if, at the party, you asked someone:

"Well, when did you get waitlisted?"

and he was like

"I was admitted in Dec. I'm here for the free beer."

I would totally give him/her a high-five followed by a bro-ish side hug and a then I would raise my dixie for a celebratory drink!

Except there won't be any free beer, it'll be BYOB. Mmmk?

PrentissJames

Postby PrentissJames » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Could it be...?

At the end of this week or next, we get our JS2s!?!

#staystrong #solidarity #optimism #ihopethisdoesn'tendwithmegettingmurderedinmyownpoolaftergoingforaswim

TexasAggie13

Postby TexasAggie13 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:45 pm

I have 99% given up at this point, but you never know. I am sure some of us will still get a JS2, but to be honest if you made it this far into the WL at Harvard you probably received some other pretty phenomenal law school options so it will be interesting to see how far down the list they need to go to fill those few remaining spots. Gotta figure that with every passing day the scholarship money from Columbia/Chicago/NYU/wherever becomes just a little more enticing.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Not a single URM or under 170 LSAT in the entire Waitlist JS2 wave.

Seems pretty obvious there's some spots left, regardless of how many people from that wave accept.

There are a handful of spots left. They will go to unique applicants, that's my guess.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:Not a single URM or under 170 LSAT in the entire Waitlist JS2 wave.

there were three 169s

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Still

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 pm

I predict that any movement will happen next Monday at the earliest.

I wonder when they will send their final rejection letters. Do they even need to send them at this point?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Aussiebum wrote:I predict that any movement will happen next Monday at the earliest.

I wonder when they will send their final rejection letters. Do they even need to send them at this point?

I want them to let me know very soon. I'm hoping for some movement next week. Is that usually the case (post 2nd deposit movement)

nextstep222

Postby nextstep222 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 am

toothbrush wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:I predict that any movement will happen next Monday at the earliest.

I want them to let me know very soon. I'm hoping for some movement next week. Is that usually the case (post 2nd deposit movement)

When is the 2nd deposit deadline anyway? Weeping even as I ask this question

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:44 am

nextstep222 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Friday!

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 am

Longtimelurk wrote:
nextstep222 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Friday!

FYI - My deposit deadline is the 21st.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 am

MAHamlin wrote:

Shattered dreams.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:35 am

Aussiebum wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:

Different deposit deadlines--really?

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:51 am

Longtimelurk wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:

Different deposit deadlines--really?

From what I could gather, it appeared those admitted Wednesday the 22nd received a 6/14 deadline whereas those admitted Friday the 24th received an additional week... Sorry to shatter dreams :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”