Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PrentissJames

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby PrentissJames » Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 pm

helix23 wrote:
I hate to say it but this story ends up like your avatar: dead in a pool waiting for dat phone call :(

You know, you might have a point.

Aren't we all kind of like Gatsby? Doing everything we could in undergrad to impress Harvard Admissions (Daisy), looking out at the Green Light, thinking to ourselves how close it is to finally grasp our dreams...

Well, and I probably shouldn't have mentioned during the interview that I was an Oxford man with a bootlegging operation on the side with my friend Meyer.

...Speaking of which, want to go for a swim old sport?

digifly

Postby digifly » Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm

I wish that was the last post of this thread - it'd be so ominous for next year's applicants! Too bad I just ruined it.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri May 31, 2013 3:17 pm

PrentissJames wrote:
helix23 wrote:
I hate to say it but this story ends up like your avatar: dead in a pool waiting for dat phone call :(

You know, you might have a point.

Aren't we all kind of like Gatsby? Doing everything we could in undergrad to impress Harvard Admissions (Daisy), looking out at the Green Light, thinking to ourselves how close it is to finally grasp our dreams...

Well, and I probably shouldn't have mentioned during the interview that I was an Oxford man with a bootlegging operation on the side with my friend Meyer.

...Speaking of which, want to go for a swim old sport?

180. Best Harvard waitlist post of 2013.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:29 pm

lawschooler2be wrote:Am I right in assuming everything is over by this point, given the fb group has reached 550+ and all the people admitted off the wl will almost certainly be matriculating given the js1bs?

"Almost" is the key word there. I don't think it's too hard to fake enthusiasm on these calls. If you check out the choosing a law school forum, you'll see several threads from people questioning attending Harvard off the WL.

At least a few spots should open up after June 14th / 21st.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Lavitz wrote:
lawschooler2be wrote:Am I right in assuming everything is over by this point, given the fb group has reached 550+ and all the people admitted off the wl will almost certainly be matriculating given the js1bs?

"Almost" is the key word there. I don't think it's too hard to fake enthusiasm on these calls. If you check out the choosing a law school forum, you'll see several threads from people questioning attending Harvard off the WL.

And we don't know of they've filled all the slots by now. Might be that they have enough to not worry about medians (assuming everyone matriculates) and will follow up with acceptances for folks with lower numbers but strong softs.

In any case, we have theorized (& according to last years fb group) they admit 170-200 ppl off the WL (on average). This year it's been like 100 so far, right?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:15 pm

PrentissJames wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:How many of you would take Harvard in Late July/ Early August?

Does "10 seconds before the first class at Columbia" count as an answer?

I would want Harvard over Columbia just as badly (so I'm not knocking you), but:

Could you or anyone else provide a good account of why he or she would prefer Harvard over Columbia, or over a Hamilton at Columbia?

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:33 pm

LexLeon wrote:
PrentissJames wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:How many of you would take Harvard in Late July/ Early August?

Does "10 seconds before the first class at Columbia" count as an answer?

I would want Harvard over Columbia just as badly (so I'm not knocking you), but:

Could you or anyone else provide a good account of why he or she would prefer Harvard over Columbia, or over a Hamilton at Columbia?

Over Columbia at equal cost seems pretty easy if you wanted anything other than NYC biglaw, and they're about even for that goal, but the Harvard name would likely be a nice plus anyway. Over a Hamilton, it'd probably be specifically for prestigious work like judicial stuff or federal government work, or maybe something very specific like scientific research-related things for which Boston-Cambridge is pretty much the Mecca. But if just getting biglaw was ur main goal, Hamilton would probably be the better option.

digifly

Postby digifly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Lavitz wrote:

The king has returned...

vamopalla

Postby vamopalla » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 pm

eyfl wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

And we don't know of they've filled all the slots by now. Might be that they have enough to not worry about medians (assuming everyone matriculates) and will follow up with acceptances for folks with lower numbers but strong softs.

In any case, we have theorized (& according to last years fb group) they admit 170-200 ppl off the WL (on average). This year it's been like 100 so far, right?

by my count the fb group has added 75ish people. (if anyone wants to double check my numbers, just view all members, and do a control f for "tuesday" then "wednesday", "thursday" "friday" and "week". then add up the hits on your find search bar)

wow. i must be really bored.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:16 pm

remember when this thread was a thing.

#keepthecandleburning

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:14 am

txdude45 wrote:remember when this thread was a thing.

#keepthecandleburning

At this point this thread is like a wound. For admitted folks it's healed. Rejected guys had an amputation. Those still in limbo prefer not to touch it so that it doesn't hurt.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:26 pm

I see that someone destroyed the spreadsheet again.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 pm

digifly wrote:I see that someone destroyed the spreadsheet again.

Did you fix it already? I just checked it and it looked okay

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:33 pm

So going page to pg 1 of this thread, seems like Waitlist JS2s always follow same trend:

Big wave May, small wave June, tiny trickle July/August.

(Big wave is to protect numbers, small wave is to pick beyond-the-numbers, tiny trickle to fill last-minute holes...?)

Therefore, there is hope!

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:So going page to pg 1 of this thread, seems like Waitlist JS2s always follow same trend:

(Big wave is to protect numbers, small wave is to pick beyond-the-numbers, tiny trickle to fill last-minute holes...?)

Not to rain on your parade, but it's possible that we've seen the May and June waves that you describe happen at the same time. There were a handful fo individuals admitted with low numbers, but strong softs in the last wave.

But here's a question to speculate on: are JS1s over i.e. will the remaining admits (even through august) come from those already interviewed?

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:08 pm

RSterling wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:So going page to pg 1 of this thread, seems like Waitlist JS2s always follow same trend:

Not to rain on your parade, but it's possible that we've seen the May and June waves that you describe happen at the same time. There were a handful fo individuals admitted with low numbers, but strong softs in the last wave.

But here's a question to speculate on: are JS1s over i.e. will the remaining admits (even through august) come from those already interviewed?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone either had 75%ile+ GPA or 50%ile+ LSAT. No admits with lower numbers so far.

vamopalla

Postby vamopalla » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:30 pm

RSterling wrote:

Who were the people with lower stats? Everyone on the gdoc has at least one 75th and the only URM reporting a JS1b hasn't confirmed a JS2 or her/his existence. There also haven't been any other URMs to report calls and no URMs have been added to the fb group (when I counted the admits yesterday I looked and didn't see any). The URM forum hasn't picked up on any activity either. Soooo, if you don't mind me asking, where/how did you get this info? If they aren't public, do you think you could PM me the info? Thanks!

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:48 pm

vamopalla wrote:
RSterling wrote:

Who were the people with lower stats? Everyone on the gdoc has at least one 75th and the only URM reporting a JS1b hasn't confirmed a JS2 or her/his existence. There also haven't been any other URMs to report calls and no URMs have been added to the fb group (when I counted the admits yesterday I looked and didn't see any). The URM forum hasn't picked up on any activity either. Soooo, if you don't mind me asking, where/how did you get this info? If they aren't public, do you think you could PM me the info? Thanks!

I should've clarified my definition of "lower numbers." There were a handful admitted with +75% GPAs, but those folks also had LSATs below the 25th. I consider anyone with something below 25th as having "lower numbers." URMs are their own category and totally unpredictable, but even then, URM admits below both 25th are going to have to come with substantial softs. I think if there's a June trickle, it's going to be mostly URMs with at least one of LSAT/GPA that hovers around median or slightly below.

I don't have a crystal ball, so your guess is as good as mine. But I'm predicting that beyond some URMs in June and an August trickle, we're done here. The JS1bs really altered things because the yield rate on WLs is probably going to be as high as 95%. HLS knew how many spots they needed to fill and extended offers to people who were 100% on Harvard if admitted.

vamopalla

Postby vamopalla » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 pm

RSterling wrote:
vamopalla wrote:
RSterling wrote:

I should've clarified my definition of "lower numbers." There were a handful admitted with +75% GPAs, but those folks also had LSATs below the 25th. I consider anyone with something below 25th as having "lower numbers." URMs are their own category and totally unpredictable, but even then, URM admits below both 25th are going to have to come with substantial softs. I think if there's a June trickle, it's going to be mostly URMs with at least one of LSAT/GPA that hovers around median or slightly below.

I don't have a crystal ball, so your guess is as good as mine. But I'm predicting that beyond some URMs in June and an August trickle, we're done here. The JS1bs really altered things because the yield rate on WLs is probably going to be as high as 95%. HLS knew how many spots they needed to fill and extended offers to people who were 100% on Harvard if admitted.

I agree with this, for the most part. No one here should hold their breath about getting off the WL. Except for a few surprises, it's essentially over. One note of caution about URMs, tho, is that if one has median/close to median numbers, that person would have most likely been admitted and not wait listed. For AAs it seemed like 3.5/165 is the magic threshold. MA/PR weren't really admitted with any consistency but my guess is 3.6/167 would be the floor, and NA are so rare it's hard to draw inferences. Based on the spreadsheet, it looks like H also gives non-URM Hispanics a pretty substantial boost, but I can't really tell how big it is. Quickly looking through the gdoc, it doesn't look like any/many of the URMs met these thresholds so it sees highly unlikely they would look for URMs w median stats. A better bet would be that H will replace an AA from the South with another AA from the south.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

tl;dr: if a URM wave happens it will probably be unpredictable. and most of us will end up like Gatsby.

LSH91

Postby LSH91 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:32 pm

I haven't checked this thread in a while but it seems that the URM that was supposedly accepted was me. I am a real person lol but there must have been an error on the Google doc. I haven't been accepted but I also haven't been rejected. Still in limbo so no URMS reported yet.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 am

LSH91 wrote:I haven't checked this thread in a while but it seems that the URM that was supposedly accepted was me. I am a real person lol but there must have been an error on the Google doc. I haven't been accepted but I also haven't been rejected. Still in limbo so no URMS reported yet.

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!

PrentissJames

Postby PrentissJames » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 am

As I awoke this morning from uneasy dreams I found myself waking from a most terrible and horrifying nightmare. We were all sitting in a banquet hall and JS and KB up at the podium opening letters, much like the Oscars, and announcing names of all of the applicants. The letter would make its way to the table with the prospective applicant, stomach in their throats, sweat beading, they opened it and found out of they got accepted or not.

I was dinged...and I sat there for hours...in a profound state of eternal despair. Then I woke up late for work this morning...

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Ok let me try and revive this thread:

For those of us still on the WL. Do you think it is worth sending an email/letter indicating that we are still interested in attending if admitted off the waitlist? Do you think this will be seen as saving them a JS1B or simply obnoxious?

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Aussiebum wrote:Ok let me try and revive this thread:

For those of us still on the WL. Do you think it is worth sending an email/letter indicating that we are still interested in attending if admitted off the waitlist? Do you think this will be seen as saving them a JS1B or simply obnoxious?

Considering it's Harvard and they've specifically asked to contact them once you're no longer interested, contacting them to show you're still interested seems redundant at best.

In other words, I'm not sending anything and am simply waiting. You can do whatever, of course.

PrentissJames

Postby PrentissJames » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Aussiebum wrote:Ok let me try and revive this thread:

I'd have to second Eyfl. We already submitted the fact we wanted to remain on the waitlist. They said if you had any new information (internship, job) then to include it. Simply by saying, "hey I'm still alive" might not something they want to hear. But, you can do what you want. Anything is possible at this point...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”