Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Aussiebum » Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 pm

shakespeare wrote:
That's roughly what i meant. Sorry! My English sucks!


Mine does too (not my first language). Maybe that's why we didn't get into Harvard?

lawschooler2be
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby lawschooler2be » Thu May 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Any more JS1bs today?

User avatar
PrentissJames
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby PrentissJames » Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm

The scene in my head that keeps replaying over and over is from The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

When Pippin and Galdalf are talking about death while Minis Tirith is being attacked.

Gandalf: There never was much hope...Just a fool's hope.


I still have hope. For all of us. There's always a chance. It ain't over till it's over. Not over till the fat lady sings. There's no I in Team.

vamopalla
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby vamopalla » Thu May 23, 2013 4:51 pm

just looked through the hls 2016 fb group. two things stick out: (1) there are a number of people on there listed as yale/stanford law, or who haven't listed a law school. not sure what percentage of the group this constitutes, but what this means is that hls did not do a ut style purge based on deposits. can't speak of percentages but i would probably assume it's around 10 percent of the group (based on what i could tell and a little facebook stalking). (2) none of the people recently added are URMs.

tl;dr: fb is a good but imperfect estimate. urms might get left to the side in favor of medians this cycle. and 100 percent of this is 100 percent inconclusive.

shakespeare
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby shakespeare » Thu May 23, 2013 4:58 pm

That brings hope back into the game, for better or worse.

Anyone got accepted who reported having a super short interview? My interviewer seemed like she was in a rush.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby wert3813 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm not a sunshine pumper but the idea that people don't stay in facebook groups that they aren't going to attend is silly. It's FB I would say people forget but that would imply they ought to remember in the first place. I'm in a few that I'm not attending and haven't remember till right now.

vamopalla
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby vamopalla » Thu May 23, 2013 5:00 pm

also, it's 5pm. can everyone who got js1bs report them on the google doc. as masochistic as it sounds, it gives those of us without them something to pretend to analyze after hours. grathias.


edited for grammar.

Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Aussiebum » Thu May 23, 2013 5:05 pm

vamopalla wrote:just looked through the hls 2016 fb group. two things stick out: (1) there are a number of people on there listed as yale/stanford law, or who haven't listed a law school. not sure what percentage of the group this constitutes, but what this means is that hls did not do a ut style purge based on deposits. can't speak of percentages but i would probably assume it's around 10 percent of the group (based on what i could tell and a little facebook stalking). (2) none of the people recently added are URMs.

tl;dr: fb is a good but imperfect estimate. urms might get left to the side in favor of medians this cycle. and 100 percent of this is 100 percent inconclusive.


Loving you right now. I will reserve a special cookie for you at our party just for posting this. :lol:

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Jaqen » Thu May 23, 2013 5:11 pm

shakespeare wrote:That brings hope back into the game, for better or worse.

Anyone got accepted who reported having a super short interview? My interviewer seemed like she was in a rush.


Yep. Mine was ~10 minutes.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9637
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 5:19 pm

wert3813 wrote:I'm not a sunshine pumper but the idea that people don't stay in facebook groups that they aren't going to attend is silly. It's FB I would say people forget but that would imply they ought to remember in the first place. I'm in a few that I'm not attending and haven't remember till right now.


FWIW I only just left the Berkeley, NYU & Gtown fb groups this week and I withdrew almost a month ago

Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Aussiebum » Thu May 23, 2013 5:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
wert3813 wrote:I'm not a sunshine pumper but the idea that people don't stay in facebook groups that they aren't going to attend is silly. It's FB I would say people forget but that would imply they ought to remember in the first place. I'm in a few that I'm not attending and haven't remember till right now.


FWIW I only just left the Berkeley, NYU & Gtown fb groups this week and I withdrew almost a month ago


I am so happy that I am being proven wrong about the reliability of the FB group count as an indicator of seats filled.

Praline peanut butter cookies for all! Weeeee!

User avatar
PrentissJames
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby PrentissJames » Thu May 23, 2013 5:26 pm

shakespeare wrote:That brings hope back into the game, for better or worse.

Anyone got accepted who reported having a super short interview? My interviewer seemed like she was in a rush.


My interview also seemed super short. It woried me that it was slated for 15 min and only lasted 7-8. Also, they seemed like they were in a rush.

So idk if other people left the interview not competely stoked?

vamopalla
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby vamopalla » Thu May 23, 2013 5:28 pm

i mean... they ARE trying to fill up the facebook group as quick as possible. also... i have been wondering. the math seems kind funky to me. we are assuming our spreadsheet accounts for 1/7 of those waitlisted. TLS seems fine assuming that the gen population of posters represents 1/10 of the apps but 1/5 of the people admitted. so why do we think those admitted are 1/7 of those admitted? why wouldn't those admitted off the wait list also represent 1/5 of those admitted? just food for thought.

to anyone looking for something hopeful to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe751kMBwms

my interview lasted 16 minutes, but js is super chatty. i think kb interviews tend to be a little shorter and js longer.

User avatar
PrentissJames
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby PrentissJames » Thu May 23, 2013 5:36 pm

vamopalla wrote:i mean... they ARE trying to fill up the facebook group as quick as possible. also... i have been wondering. the math seems kind funky to me. we are assuming our spreadsheet accounts for 1/7 of those waitlisted. TLS seems fine assuming that the gen population of posters represents 1/10 of the apps but 1/5 of the people admitted. so why do we think those admitted are 1/7 of those admitted? why wouldn't those admitted off the wait list also represent 1/5 of those admitted? just food for thought.

to anyone looking for something hopeful to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe751kMBwms

my interview lasted 16 minutes, but js is super chatty. i think kb interviews tend to be a little shorter and js longer.



Yes we can!

Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Aussiebum » Thu May 23, 2013 5:41 pm

PrentissJames wrote:
vamopalla wrote:i mean... they ARE trying to fill up the facebook group as quick as possible. also... i have been wondering. the math seems kind funky to me. we are assuming our spreadsheet accounts for 1/7 of those waitlisted. TLS seems fine assuming that the gen population of posters represents 1/10 of the apps but 1/5 of the people admitted. so why do we think those admitted are 1/7 of those admitted? why wouldn't those admitted off the wait list also represent 1/5 of those admitted? just food for thought.

to anyone looking for something hopeful to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe751kMBwms

my interview lasted 16 minutes, but js is super chatty. i think kb interviews tend to be a little shorter and js longer.



Yes we can!


Si se puede!

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby helix23 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:48 pm

wow these last 5 years have really taken a toll on him. he looks 15 years younger.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 23, 2013 5:56 pm

vamopalla wrote:the math seems kind funky to me. we are assuming our spreadsheet accounts for 1/7 of those waitlisted. TLS seems fine assuming that the gen population of posters represents 1/10 of the apps but 1/5 of the people admitted. so why do we think those admitted are 1/7 of those admitted? why wouldn't those admitted off the wait list also represent 1/5 of those admitted? just food for thought.

We have covered this more than once ITT. Whenever I, Lavitz, or helix post numerical speculation, we try to encompass the array of possibilities, from 1/10 to 1/5. Usually 1/7 is more predictive because 1/5 of admissions is only true since we have a better than average applicant pool than general pop, but that goes partly away on the WL.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby helix23 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 pm

today was sorta lame

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby voytek » Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm

helix23 wrote:today was sorta lame


+1. Only good thing that came out of it is the prospect of pie of the sweet and savory kind.

I was expecting more from you, H.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby untar614 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:00 pm

voytek wrote:
helix23 wrote:today was sorta lame


+1. Only good thing that came out of it is the prospect of pie of the sweet and savory kind.

I was expecting more from you, H.

hey, at least we got a good rejection sadness party planned for august

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby helix23 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:26 pm

better see some of this tomorrow OR ELSE

Image

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Thu May 23, 2013 7:27 pm

untar614 wrote:hey, at least we got a good rejection sadness party planned for august

I love that this is happening.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 pm

edit
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aussiebum
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Aussiebum » Thu May 23, 2013 7:37 pm

I am almost more excited for our post-HLS WL torture TLS reunion. Almost. Key Word: Almost.

User avatar
mickeysevenn
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby mickeysevenn » Thu May 23, 2013 7:38 pm

helix23 wrote:better see some of this tomorrow OR ELSE


srsly. i came home from work and ate a kitkat bar. i haven't had one of those beauties in years. that's how neurotic i'm feeling right now. pretty serious.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”