Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
helix23

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby helix23 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 pm

toothbrush wrote:
helix23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
helix23 wrote:any1 get a JS2 yet?

yah didn't you ?

yah i did wuz jus ch3ckin #ROFLMAO #t14 #WL #me

obvious move to hit 2k posts

2 more bra

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Y2K

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 pm

helix23 wrote:Y2K

Lounge-ite.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Thu May 16, 2013 11:06 pm

rosietheriveter wrote:
eyfl wrote:I saw Helix23 today, he's a real businessman and has his own website! Proof:

P.S. Apparently too much time on TLS is bad for health

wait a minute are you in russia too?

I am indeed.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 pm

What sort of law are you guys interested in ? What would you want to do with your jd? 5 years down the line? 10 ? 15 ?

I am interested in learning about more jd career paths from t14s that make money with a good QoL. Share me yours!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 pm

toothbrush wrote:What sort of law are you guys interested in ? What would you want to do with your jd?

Nice try, Dean Soban.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:47 pm

TripTrip wrote:
toothbrush wrote:What sort of law are you guys interested in ? What would you want to do with your jd?

Nice try, Dean Soban.

We all knew there was a mouse in the house. Just had to wait for them to expose themselves. Now we know why Harvard seems to dodge all our well-reasoned assumptions.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 am

toothbrush wrote:What sort of law are you guys interested in ? What would you want to do with your jd? 5 years down the line? 10 ? 15 ?

I am interested in learning about more jd career paths from t14s that make money with a good QoL. Share me yours!

Harvard spy jokes aside, I'm interested in intellectual property and to a lesser extent, corporate law. While Stanford/Berkeley may be the "best" for raw IP, I'm more interested in medical technology. Coupled with Harvard Med, and located in Bos/Cam, Harvard is at least equal to Stanford/Berkeley in IP for medical technology. I'd like to think that for Medical Device startups (which I'm particularly interested in) Harvard takes the lead.

Money is secondary to me. I'm more interested in getting tech out there.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Fri May 17, 2013 10:11 am

dnptan wrote:
Harvard spy jokes aside, I'm interested in intellectual property and to a lesser extent, corporate law. While Stanford/Berkeley may be the "best" for raw IP, I'm more interested in medical technology. Coupled with Harvard Med, and located in Bos/Cam, Harvard is at least equal to Stanford/Berkeley in IP for medical technology. I'd like to think that for Medical Device startups (which I'm particularly interested in) Harvard takes the lead.

This sounds awesome. What's your back round and what's your reasoning for being interested in med tech? Is this a growing field or very niche? I think your reasoning for being interested in this (desiring the proliferation of tech) is the right one!

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 am

toothbrush wrote:
dnptan wrote:

This sounds awesome. What's your back round and what's your reasoning for being interested in med tech? Is this a growing field or very niche? I think your reasoning for being interested in this (desiring the proliferation of tech) is the right one!

Haha, well I talked about it in my PS mostly. My background in a nutshell: I took up Biomedical Engineering and in my senior year I co-founded a startup, which ultimately failed because we (as engineers) were unfamiliar with the patent system. Cue bitterness towards the law (parents being lawyers didn't help) for the rest of my undergrad career. However, karma's a bitch (kind of?) and the best job offer I got, in terms of location and salary, was consulting for intellectual property.

Eventually I realized how failing my startup worked wonders for my current job, as I knew what to watch out for. Long story short, my job gave me a different perspective on the law, and now I want to use my engineering background to get as much tech out there. I've come to the conclusion that startups need more lawyers who understand engineers - our lawyers from my failed startup couldn't properly explain things in non-lawyer language, and I feel it was the same on our end. Also, I'm in love with the startup mentality.

Oh, and if you were asking why I was interested in med tech to begin with: I firmly believe in QoL equality for everyone regardless of illness/disease. I think that developments in medicine are the best way to achieve that (together with social affirmation of course). My startup was focused on managing Type 1 Diabetes via the Glycemic Index - my startup partner's brother has it, as does my cousin. Though it's not a product, they both use our prototype app - shame we couldn't get it to market because we couldn't protect our IP.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 pm

dnptan wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
dnptan wrote:

Haha, well I talked about it in my PS mostly. My background in a nutshell: I took up Biomedical Engineering and in my senior year I co-founded a startup, which ultimately failed because we (as engineers) were unfamiliar with the patent system. Cue bitterness towards the law (parents being lawyers didn't help) for the rest of my undergrad career. However, karma's a bitch (kind of?) and the best job offer I got, in terms of location and salary, was consulting for intellectual property.

Eventually I realized how failing my startup worked wonders for my current job, as I knew what to watch out for. Long story short, my job gave me a different perspective on the law, and now I want to use my engineering background to get as much tech out there. I've come to the conclusion that startups need more lawyers who understand engineers - our lawyers from my failed startup couldn't properly explain things in non-lawyer language, and I feel it was the same on our end. Also, I'm in love with the startup mentality.

Oh, and if you were asking why I was interested in med tech to begin with: I firmly believe in QoL equality for everyone regardless of illness/disease. I think that developments in medicine are the best way to achieve that (together with social affirmation of course). My startup was focused on managing Type 1 Diabetes via the Glycemic Index - my startup partner's brother has it, as does my cousin. Though it's not a product, they both use our prototype app - shame we couldn't get it to market because we couldn't protect our IP.

Wow, before the specifics of the backstory, I was going to ask if you were me.

Where do you plan on going if you don't get into Harvard?

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm

untar614 wrote:Wow, before the specifics of the backstory, I was going to ask if you were me.

Haha, similar interest? Well I have a solid job right now, and I actually withdrew from everything except Harvard. The way I see it, I can stay in Boston and work, and if Harvard doesn't work out I'll just apply again next year. Hopefully applying early (Applied in Feb this cycle) and retaking the LSAT will give me a better shot. If all else fails, I do have an engineering degree so at least financially, I'm all set. Maybe a PhD or MBA down the line?

Either way, I'm sure I want to work with medical tech. As an engineer, lawyer, businessman or investor - it's irrelevant. I do enjoy law, but my end goal is to get tech out there. I'm semi-involved with a few minor startups right now, but as a pro bono consultant on feasibility (such as patentability) and how to leverage university resources to get things going (mainly I work with college students). Unfortunately I don't have the credentials to go on board with any blooming startups.

My main reason for aiming for H/S is the networking opportunities, not just with the law schools but their amazing business schools, and in Harvard's case, Med school.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:16 pm

dnptan wrote:
untar614 wrote:Wow, before the specifics of the backstory, I was going to ask if you were me.

Haha, similar interest? Well I have a solid job right now, and I actually withdrew from everything except Harvard. The way I see it, I can stay in Boston and work, and if Harvard doesn't work out I'll just apply again next year. Hopefully applying early (Applied in Feb this cycle) and retaking the LSAT will give me a better shot. If all else fails, I do have an engineering degree so at least financially, I'm all set. Maybe a PhD or MBA down the line?

Either way, I'm sure I want to work with medical tech. As an engineer, lawyer, businessman or investor - it's irrelevant. I do enjoy law, but my end goal is to get tech out there. I'm semi-involved with a few minor startups right now, but as a pro bono consultant on feasibility (such as patentability) and how to leverage university resources to get things going (mainly I work with college students). Unfortunately I don't have the credentials to go on board with any blooming startups.

My main reason for aiming for H/S is the networking opportunities, not just with the law schools but their amazing business schools, and in Harvard's case, Med school.

Yeah, some major similarities in interests, but I'm straight bio and stayed in research since graduation. Interesting way of going about things, but I think 3+ points added to LSAT and an early app should put you in good shape, esp with an engineering degree and some cool experience.

broadstreet11

Postby broadstreet11 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:22 pm

So now that interviews are over, what do we expect to see out of the first wave? Splitters, URMs, reverse splitters, all of the above? Speculate away!

jakeymay

Postby jakeymay » Fri May 17, 2013 3:34 pm

hopefully the sub-median, non-urm applicants without strong softs will be the first to be accepted.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:44 pm

jakeymay wrote:hopefully the sub-median, non-urm applicants without strong softs will be the first to be accepted.

+1 :)

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Fri May 17, 2013 3:47 pm

My guess is people who boost their class in whichever desired way. They'll have plenty of high LSAT or gpa people to choose from late in the game but they'll want to scoop up whatever is rare in the batch ( whether that's urm diversity, females, we, internationals )

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Fri May 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Alas, I haven't been offered an interview. My low LSAT/GPA (170/3.82) makes it likely that I'll be derping around TLS again next year. Officially requesting the honor of starting next year's Harvard thread.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri May 17, 2013 4:20 pm

dnptan wrote:Alas, I haven't been offered an interview. My low LSAT/GPA (170/3.82) makes it likely that I'll be derping around TLS again next year. Officially requesting the honor of starting next year's Harvard thread.

From whom are you requesting this honor?

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Fri May 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Lavitz wrote:
dnptan wrote:Alas, I haven't been offered an interview. My low LSAT/GPA (170/3.82) makes it likely that I'll be derping around TLS again next year. Officially requesting the honor of starting next year's Harvard thread.

From you, oh exalted one. And from the masses. I only hope the people deem me worthy. Oh and Helix as well, since you know, he started this WL thread.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm

dnptan wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

From you, oh exalted one. And from the masses. I only hope the people deem me worthy. Oh and Helix as well, since you know, he started this WL thread.

I sure as hell hope to not be around in a year (I bet the majority of folks here do as well) so here you go, do whatever you want :lol:

On a side note, since another 'Monday' is near, how do you guys plan to cope with another stressful day?!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri May 17, 2013 5:33 pm

toothbrush wrote:My guess is people who boost their class in whichever desired way. They'll have plenty of high LSAT or gpa people to choose from late in the game but they'll want to scoop up whatever is rare in the batch ( whether that's urm diversity, females, we, internationals )

On the other hand, H historically makes a massive pull of around 150 people from its WL. That definitely impacts their 25/75 and would probably shift medians as well, so I think they have to continue focusing heavily on numbers to some extent. Glancing over the WL, it seems the concern is more GPA than LSAT - more reverse splitters (at least by H standards) than traditional splitters, and a good chunk of the people who recently got JS1s have high GPAs. They've also done a URM wave in the past and again if JS1s are indicative of their needs then I think you'll see a good amount of URM admits this cycle too.

Eta: I suppose I should add a disclaimer that this is all baseless speculation. We're guessing at H's needs right now.

feelingood

Postby feelingood » Fri May 17, 2013 6:34 pm

my heart rate is not in a good place right now. i really hope we don't actually have to wait until the 27th.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Fri May 17, 2013 6:36 pm

feelingood wrote:my heart rate is not in a good place right now. i really hope we don't actually have to wait until the 27th.

Why you so worried now ? just a bit longer..

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri May 17, 2013 6:36 pm

dnptan wrote:From you, oh exalted one. And from the masses. I only hope the people deem me worthy. Oh and Helix as well, since you know, he started this WL thread.

You can go ahead, but I don't think I have the authority to bar anyone else from being the first to make the thread in August. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”