Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RSterling

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby RSterling » Wed May 15, 2013 2:15 pm

dnptan wrote:
RSterling wrote:Quick question: For the JS0s here, have any of you began to look for housing at the schools where you'll be attending otherwise? It's looking like JS1s are going to be few and far between at this point, so I'm wondering. Anyone else with a JS1 can obviously feel free to give their opinion as well.

I suggest you start looking for places now. Craigslist requires no contract for the most part. For broker stuff however, most leases for September are usually completed by June. Apartments in the Boston can cost a lot later on in the game. With this in mind, Craigslist is definitely a good option.

Also for those JS0s in the warmer parts of the country, think twice before renting a place that's far from the T (subway) or a bus route. It may seem nice during Summer/Spring/Fall, but come winter, you may regret that painful 15 minute walk to the closest stop. This goes double for those who opt to live off the beaten path. Sometimes they don't salt/shovel the sidewalks. The only feeling worse than getting dinged is having wet socks during the winter.

I'm referring to housing at UVA which is where I'll be going if not H. It's a pretty easy housing market, so I think I've got some cushion. However, I'll take the advice and start sending out feelers now for roommates and all that. Thanks everyone.

jsjd1989

Postby jsjd1989 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Well, I guess in that respect, do people that get off the WL at H ever have a chance of getting campus housing?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:Lavitz said the past two years' WL-JS2 waves went out the week after the last interview. That tends to rule out the 27th...no?

I believe there must be a misunderstanding here.

I said that back in November, the first JS2s of this cycle went out the week after the last interview. I then speculated that it meant they need at least one day to finalize decisions after finishing a long sequence of interviews and releasing decisions in one batch.

I never looked at past years' WL-JS2s because they didn't have calendars with scheduled JS1 dates on them. So it would be difficult to tell when the last interview in a wave was.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm

jsjd1989 wrote:Well, I guess in that respect, do people that get off the WL at H ever have a chance of getting campus housing?

From the blog post:
Although we cannot guarantee housing in HLS dorms for those admitted from the wait list, it may be possible, even for those admitted late in the summer, to obtain HLS housing. Students admitted off the wait list typically find housing on or off campus without significant difficulty.

I hear there are usually some rooms left in Gropius.

rosietheriveter

Postby rosietheriveter » Wed May 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Lavitz wrote:
BSC wrote:If she said they'd start in a couple weeks, then yea 27th at the earliest. But if she said they'd start in the next couple weeks, then the 20th is still a possibility.

I feel like we've been reduced to this.

It's a thread about nothing!

rosietheriveter

Postby rosietheriveter » Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm

If you're accepted off a wait list do they make you sign something saying you will withdraw from other wait lists? Or does that fall under the can't-make-you-withdraw-from-waitlists rule?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 pm

rosietheriveter wrote:It's a thread about nothing!

We should pitch the idea to NBC.

rosietheriveter wrote:If you're accepted off a wait list do they make you sign something saying you will withdraw from other wait lists? Or does that fall under the can't-make-you-withdraw-from-waitlists rule?

I know you can't defer admission, but I don't think they can make you withdraw from other waitlists.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Lavitz wrote:
rosietheriveter wrote:It's a thread about nothing!

We should pitch the idea to NBC.

lol.

tidymnstr

Postby tidymnstr » Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:I have a feeling that JS and KB are telling everyone "you should be hearing from us in a couple of weeks" but that means this week or next for those of us who had our JS1 at the beginning of April. This is total speculation, but I think they will be making decisions in the order in which they scheduled/interviewed JS1s as opposed to all decisions at once. Any thought on this?

Certainly not. They are using the WL to replace lost admits, so they need a particular profile from the WL. They are no longer evaluating us individually - that only happens if you apply early and get in in November.

The interview supports this hypothesis. Very short (10 mins!), specific questions about interests, some probing as to preparation.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm

RSterling wrote:
dnptan wrote:
RSterling wrote:Quick question: For the JS0s here, have any of you began to look for housing at the schools where you'll be attending otherwise? It's looking like JS1s are going to be few and far between at this point, so I'm wondering. Anyone else with a JS1 can obviously feel free to give their opinion as well.

I suggest you start looking for places now. Craigslist requires no contract for the most part. For broker stuff however, most leases for September are usually completed by June. Apartments in the Boston can cost a lot later on in the game. With this in mind, Craigslist is definitely a good option.

Also for those JS0s in the warmer parts of the country, think twice before renting a place that's far from the T (subway) or a bus route. It may seem nice during Summer/Spring/Fall, but come winter, you may regret that painful 15 minute walk to the closest stop. This goes double for those who opt to live off the beaten path. Sometimes they don't salt/shovel the sidewalks. The only feeling worse than getting dinged is having wet socks during the winter.

I'm referring to housing at UVA which is where I'll be going if not H. It's a pretty easy housing market, so I think I've got some cushion. However, I'll take the advice and start sending out feelers now for roommates and all that. Thanks everyone.

If it helps, I'm heading to UVA as well should HLS not pull through. I've signed a lease with no money down at the Pavilion @ $750 a month in a 3BR. No security deposit, and after inquiring about the possibility of not attending UVA (should HLS grant mercy on me), the landlords said it is completely possible to re-assign your lease to someone else. Granted, there is some risk involved if you're not able to find anyone to replace you, but if you can track down a replacement tenant, you are released of all liability. The Pavilion is spendy, but ridiculously nice and something you might consider if you're concerned about housing. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:I've signed a lease with no money down at the Pavilion @ $750 a month in a 3BR.

Not to hijack this thread for UVA, but there's a 3BR at Pavilion for $750?! Where have I been??

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed May 15, 2013 11:48 pm

tidymnstr wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:I have a feeling that JS and KB are telling everyone "you should be hearing from us in a couple of weeks" but that means this week or next for those of us who had our JS1 at the beginning of April. This is total speculation, but I think they will be making decisions in the order in which they scheduled/interviewed JS1s as opposed to all decisions at once. Any thought on this?

Certainly not. They are using the WL to replace lost admits, so they need a particular profile from the WL. They are no longer evaluating us individually - that only happens if you apply early and get in in November.

The interview supports this hypothesis. Very short (10 mins!), specific questions about interests, some probing as to preparation.

Can you elaborate on "probing as to preparation" and what specifically you think this is evidence of?

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Wed May 15, 2013 11:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mickeysevenn wrote:I've signed a lease with no money down at the Pavilion @ $750 a month in a 3BR.

Not to hijack this thread for UVA, but there's a 3BR at Pavilion for $750?! Where have I been??

I feared starting a UVA takeover in typing what I did, so let me apologize to the rest of you folks! Yes, it's true--$750 per person, that is. But that includes internet, cable, utilities, etc. Not sure if the deal is still going, but for a time they were offering furniture free of charge (normally it's $35/mo). Not a bad deal if you take a look at the site--they've got a gym and tanning for tenants. Washer/dryer included in the units. It's worth a look! http://pavilionatnorthgrounds.com/

Also might want to check out the UVA c/o 2016 group on FB. You might actually have BETTER luck finding a place here, because there are people in our situation who are going elsewhere for school after already committing to the Pavilion. You might luck out and slip into a 3BR someone's trying to ditch for HYS. https://www.facebook.com/groups/uvalaw2016/?fref=ts

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed May 15, 2013 11:50 pm

that place is shwanky

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:06 am

toothbrush wrote:that place is shwanky

It is a nice consolation prize if I get an H ding.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:12 am

mickeysevenn wrote:

Wow, this is really nice. Compared to that place, it seems I have been living in slummy dorms and apartments during my 4 years in Cville.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 am

bosmer88 wrote:
mickeysevenn wrote:

Wow, this is really nice. Compared to that place, it seems I have been living in slummy dorms and apartments during my 4 years in Cville.

Well, here's hoping it lives up to the photos. Could be I'm the chump when I show up and my walls are made of cardboard.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 16, 2013 12:19 am

mickeysevenn wrote:Yes, it's true--$750 per person, that is.

There it is. As much as I love you all, you're staying the heck out of my kitchen. Mine, mine, mine.

The only good roomate is a dead roomate who has pre-paid their rent through the end of the lease.
Last edited by TripTrip on Thu May 16, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 am

mickeysevenn wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:
mickeysevenn wrote:

Well, here's hoping it lives up to the photos. Could be I'm the chump when I show up and my walls are made of cardboard.

Don't worry. I bet it is as nice as it looks in the photos. At least you aren't unknowingly signing up to live in a dorm designed by a company that constructs prisons like I did. :wink:

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:24 am

TripTrip wrote:
mickeysevenn wrote:Yes, it's true--$750 per person, that is.

There it is. As much as I love you all, you're staying the heck out of my kitchen. Mine, mine, mine.

The only good roomate is a dead roomate who has pre-paid their rent through the end of the lease.

No dice? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9EKv-LM1nI

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:26 am

Don't worry. I bet it is as nice as it looks in the photos. At least you aren't unknowingly signing up to live in a dorm designed by a company that constructs prisons like I did. :wink:

Gotta be a bargain though, am I right?? Also, I imagine said dorms to be very safe and hard to break out of--er, into.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu May 16, 2013 12:41 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one bringing the Seinfeld clips.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 am

Lavitz wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one bringing the Seinfeld clips.

Just tryin' to keep with your theme, homie!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 am

We oughtta switch to Friends clips. Friends > Seinfeld.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 am

TripTrip wrote:We oughtta switch to Friends clips. Friends > Seinfeld.

Take that back, you!

SERENITY NOW

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”