Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Longtimelurk

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 am

tidymnstr wrote:JS said today that they would begin acceptances/denials in a couple of weeks.

Did she actually use the word "couple" or are you paraphrasing?

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 am

Longtimelurk wrote:
tidymnstr wrote:JS said today that they would begin acceptances/denials in a couple of weeks.

Did she actually use the word "couple" or are you paraphrasing?

+1

When/in what context exactly did she say this?

I have a feeling that JS and KB are telling everyone "you should be hearing from us in a couple of weeks" but that means this week or next for those of us who had our JS1 at the beginning of April. This is total speculation, but I think they will be making decisions in the order in which they scheduled/interviewed JS1s as opposed to all decisions at once. Any thought on this?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 am

Aussiebum wrote:I have a feeling that JS and KB are telling everyone "you should be hearing from us in a couple of weeks" but that means this week or next for those of us who had our JS1 at the beginning of April. This is total speculation, but I think they will be making decisions in the order in which they scheduled/interviewed JS1s as opposed to all decisions at once. Any thought on this?

Certainly not. They are using the WL to replace lost admits, so they need a particular profile from the WL. They are no longer evaluating us individually - that only happens if you apply early and get in in November.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed May 15, 2013 10:13 am

Aussiebum wrote:I have a feeling that JS and KB are telling everyone "you should be hearing from us in a couple of weeks" but that means this week or next for those of us who had our JS1 at the beginning of April. This is total speculation, but I think they will be making decisions in the order in which they scheduled/interviewed JS1s as opposed to all decisions at once. Any thought on this?

I disagree. Definitely one big wave.

However, this is the first instance of "couple" being used. Before, they were saying "few" and "not before end of month."

The switch to "couple" suggests it could be coming next week (they're overcompensating), but more likely in two weeks (everyone says "couple" to connote "two"). Given that, and given Lavitz's very precient Tuesday observation, I'd say they're coming on Tuesday the 28th.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 am

Longtimelurk wrote:Given that, and given Lavitz's very precient Tuesday observation, I'd say they're coming on Tuesday the 28th.

I believe Lavit's Tuesday observation only applies the week immediately following interviews. If we're in the week of the 27th, we'd be speculatively back to Monday.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 am

TripTrip wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:Given that, and given Lavitz's very precient Tuesday observation, I'd say they're coming on Tuesday the 28th.

I believe Lavit's Tuesday observation only applies the week immediately following interviews. If we're in the week of the 27th, we'd be speculatively back to Monday.

Great point--sorry, when is the last interview, again?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 am

Longtimelurk wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I believe Lavitz's Tuesday observation only applies the week immediately following interviews. If we're in the week of the 27th, we'd be speculatively back to Monday.

This Friday. Unless they add more and send out more invites. But if they don't, then yes, it could be Monday the 27th.

BSC

Postby BSC » Wed May 15, 2013 11:05 am

I feel like a crazy person joining this speculation but..... If she said they'd start in a couple weeks, then yea 27th at the earliest. But if she said they'd start in the next couple weeks, then the 20th is still a possibility. I interviewed on the 3rd and she specifically said not to expect anything for 2 weeks; again, pointing to the 20th.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 15, 2013 11:11 am

BSC wrote:If she said they'd start in a couple weeks, then yea 27th at the earliest. But if she said they'd start in the next couple weeks, then the 20th is still a possibility.

I feel like we've been reduced to this.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 am

BSC wrote:I feel like a crazy person joining this speculation but..... If she said they'd start in a couple weeks, then yea 27th at the earliest. But if she said they'd start in the next couple weeks, then the 20th is still a possibility. I interviewed on the 3rd and she specifically said not to expect anything for 2 weeks; again, pointing to the 20th.

Half-life 3 confirmed.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 am

TripTrip wrote:
BSC wrote:I feel like a crazy person joining this speculation but..... If she said they'd start in a couple weeks, then yea 27th at the earliest. But if she said they'd start in the next couple weeks, then the 20th is still a possibility. I interviewed on the 3rd and she specifically said not to expect anything for 2 weeks; again, pointing to the 20th.

Half-life 3 confirmed.

:lol: :lol:

On a more serious note. Do you guys REALLY believe they have a date in mind when they were saying "not for a couple / few weeks" ? I think it's closer to what Lavitz has said that they are waiting to finish interviews then evaluate the pool and make a decision. I really doubt they have an internal time line in mind beyond "before June".

BSC

Postby BSC » Wed May 15, 2013 11:48 am

TripTrip wrote:

Half-life 3 confirmed.

I don't get the reference

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I believe Lavitz's Tuesday observation only applies the week immediately following interviews. If we're in the week of the 27th, we'd be speculatively back to Monday.

This Friday. Unless they add more and send out more invites. But if they don't, then yes, it could be Monday the 27th.

So, seems like waitlist acceptance waves have always gone out the week after the last interview.

Therefore, all signs point to JS2 wave incoming next week, specifically, Tuesday or later. Right?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:Therefore, all signs point to JS2 wave incoming next week, specifically, Tuesday or later. Right?

I think you're affirming the consequent there. All signs point to no JS2s before next Tuesday, but we have very little that points to Tuesday 5/21 over, for example, Monday 5/27.

sd1234

Postby sd1234 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:14 pm

were there any JS1 --> WL --> JS2s at all last year?

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed May 15, 2013 12:26 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Longtimelurk wrote:Therefore, all signs point to JS2 wave incoming next week, specifically, Tuesday or later. Right?

I think you're affirming the consequent there. All signs point to no JS2s before next Tuesday, but we have very little that points to Tuesday 5/21 over, for example, Monday 5/27.

Lavitz said the past two years' WL-JS2 waves went out the week after the last interview. That tends to rule out the 27th...no?

broadstreet11

Postby broadstreet11 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:36 pm

I also find it hard to believe that they're going to start dinging people in a couple of weeks as our new friend tidymnstr suggested. That just seems unlikely.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed May 15, 2013 12:44 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:I also find it hard to believe that they're going to start dinging people in a couple of weeks as our new friend tidymnstr suggested. That just seems unlikely.

That was my thought as well. After skimming the last three WL threads, there doesn't seem to be any precedent for pre-July dings. Given H's class size, there's really no harm for them to keep as many options open (ie as many WLers) as they can for as long as they can.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 pm

sd1234 wrote:were there any JS1 --> WL --> JS2s at all last year?

I know at least one person in this situation. The individual wasn't in the first wave of admits, though.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Quick question: For the JS0s here, have any of you began to look for housing at the schools where you'll be attending otherwise? It's looking like JS1s are going to be few and far between at this point, so I'm wondering. Anyone else with a JS1 can obviously feel free to give their opinion as well.

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:34 pm

RSterling wrote:Quick question: For the JS0s here, have any of you began to look for housing at the schools where you'll be attending otherwise? It's looking like JS1s are going to be few and far between at this point, so I'm wondering. Anyone else with a JS1 can obviously feel free to give their opinion as well.

If I were you (I am JS1 but am basically doing this as well) I would start the process of getting housing, such as researching apartments, talking to the landlords, and other such preparations. If you end up getting into Harvard, then you may have wasted a bit of time, but if you don't then at least you started the process and have a better shot at living somewhere decent. I wouldn't sign a lease until you have completely given up on H, though.

Longtimelurk

Postby Longtimelurk » Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 pm

amc987 wrote:

I know at least one person in this situation. The individual wasn't in the first wave of admits, though.

When was this person admitted?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed May 15, 2013 1:44 pm

RSterling wrote:Quick question: For the JS0s here, have any of you began to look for housing at the schools where you'll be attending otherwise? It's looking like JS1s are going to be few and far between at this point, so I'm wondering. Anyone else with a JS1 can obviously feel free to give their opinion as well.

I passed up the university housing at Cornell but I've been on craigslist browsing. It really depends on where you're going. At Cornell it looks like i'll be fine to find housing in July via craiglist if I need to. For NYU / CLS I think you would have to get on that ball quicker or pursue their housing options because NYC housing is a tougher market.

amc987

Postby amc987 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Longtimelurk wrote:
amc987 wrote:

When was this person admitted?

July.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Wed May 15, 2013 1:59 pm

I suggest you start looking for places now. Craigslist requires no contract for the most part. For broker stuff however, most leases for September are usually completed by June. Apartments in the Boston can cost a lot later on in the game. With this in mind, Craigslist is definitely a good option.

Also for those JS0s in the warmer parts of the country, think twice before renting a place that's far from the T (subway) or a bus route. It may seem nice during Summer/Spring/Fall, but come winter, you may regret that painful 15 minute walk to the closest stop. This goes double for those who opt to live off the beaten path. Sometimes they don't salt/shovel the sidewalks. The only feeling worse than getting dinged is having wet socks during the winter.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”