Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dawyzest1

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby dawyzest1 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 pm

kfischm1 wrote:Don't late regular admits have a later deposit deadline than everyone else? Couldn't that be why they haven't started sending out JS2s from the waitlist, because that deadline hasn't passed yet?

What do you define as late? I think I was in the last admit wave 4/8 and we had the same 5/1 deposit deadline as everyone else.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 pm

kfischm1 wrote:Don't late regular admits have a later deposit deadline than everyone else? Couldn't that be why they haven't started sending out JS2s from the waitlist, because that deadline hasn't passed yet?

The most recent admit was 4/8, and I'm pretty sure they still got the 5/1 deposit deadline. That's three weeks to deposit.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Anyone here know if it's reasonable to have a car at HLS? Right now I'm planning to hand my car off to my brother, but I wanna know if I manage to get in off the WL if I would want to keep the car, or if Boston is like NYC with insane parking costs and nowhere to park if you go somewhere.

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:

The most recent admit was 4/8, and I'm pretty sure they still got the 5/1 deposit deadline. That's three weeks to deposit.

Oh ok. For some reason I thought that there was a week or so later deposit deadline for people admitted later. Nevermind. Carry on. :-)

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

untar614 wrote:Anyone here know if it's reasonable to have a car at HLS? Right now I'm planning to hand my car off to my brother, but I wanna know if I manage to get in off the WL if I would want to keep the car, or if Boston is like NYC with insane parking costs and nowhere to park if you go somewhere.

If you live close enough to the Law School, you should not need a car at all. Boston is much more car friendly than NYC, but it is still going to be a pain to park your car overnight in Cambridge/Somerville. My guess would be that you'll be more than fine without a car at HLS.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:
untar614 wrote:Anyone here know if it's reasonable to have a car at HLS? Right now I'm planning to hand my car off to my brother, but I wanna know if I manage to get in off the WL if I would want to keep the car, or if Boston is like NYC with insane parking costs and nowhere to park if you go somewhere.

If you live close enough to the Law School, you should not need a car at all. Boston is much more car friendly than NYC, but it is still going to be a pain to park your car overnight in Cambridge/Somerville. My guess would be that you'll be more than fine without a car at HLS.

I have to disagree. Boston (and to a lesser extent Cambridge) is not a car-friendly city at all. As someone who has lived in the city for 5 years, and as a tour guide for the local hostel, I will give you the same advice I give visitors: I highly recommend using Zipcar if you want excursions out of the city. Otherwise, rely on the T (subway/tram), buses, and walking. Parking is a bitch. You will get ticketed. Streets make no sense. GPS does not work, especially in the North End. Cabs are more expensive in Boston than NYC as well.

Also, consider getting a bike. A lot of people use them here, and there are even bike-renting stations scattered throughout the city.

Lastly:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Masshole

and

There are a lot of streets that start off with one name, and end with another. I kid you not. Boylston/Essex street; Kneeland/Stuart street to name a few.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:11 pm

dnptan wrote:
dawyzest1 wrote:

I have to disagree. Boston (and to a lesser extent Cambridge) is not a car-friendly city at all. As someone who has lived in the city for 5 years, and as a tour guide for the local hostel, I will give you the same advice I give visitors: I highly recommend using Zipcar if you want excursions out of the city. Otherwise, rely on the T (subway/tram), buses, and walking. Parking is a bitch. You will get ticketed. Streets make no sense. GPS does not work, especially in the North End. Cabs are more expensive in Boston than NYC as well.

Also, consider getting a bike. A lot of people use them here, and there are even bike-renting stations scattered throughout the city.

Lastly:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Masshole

and

There are a lot of streets that start off with one name, and end with another. I kid you not. Boylston/Essex street; Kneeland/Stuart street to name a few.

This is all very much true, but it can be conquered. I had a car all four years I lived in Boston and after an interesting adjustment period (let's add that there's no rhyme or reason to the streets either) it was cool. Regardless, I think we are in complete agreement that our friend above will be just fine without his car at HLS.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm

This is all very much true, but it can be conquered. I had a car all four years I lived in Boston and after an interesting adjustment period (let's add that there's no rhyme or reason to the streets either) it was cool. Regardless, I think we are in complete agreement that our friend above will be just fine without his car at HLS.

You managed to have a car while living in Boston? Hats off to you sir, I would have been able to handle it. But yeah, unless you live near the edge of the city, or are far from the subway/bus routes, a car isn't really worth it.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 14, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm glad this was brought up. I currently have a car and would probably save close to $300/month if I didn't, and I don't even pay for permanent parking. It didn't really register with me that Cambridge is basically in Boston until I Google Maps'd it just now.

I guess on that note, is the area built such that a car is more of a burden? Whenever I'm in Chicago I've noticed that a car would be a pain but, contrarily, in Minneapolis a car is almost necessary.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 14, 2013 4:42 pm

TripTrip wrote:I'm glad this was brought up. I currently have a car and would probably save close to $300/month if I didn't, and I don't even pay for permanent parking. It didn't really register with me that Cambridge is basically in Boston until I Google Maps'd it just now.

I guess on that note, is the area built such that a car is more of a burden? Whenever I'm in Chicago I've noticed that a car would be a pain but, contrarily, in Minneapolis a car is almost necessary.

From what I hear you need to either find an apartment in Cambridge / Somerville with parking inc or shell out 150 / month to park it. I drove to HLS two times and parking was a fucking bitch without the pass, etc. Even then, there are no lots or anything - just street parking. However, if I do attend I will be bringing my car and parking it. I live in NY and will need it / use it to drive home when I do.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:It's quiet today. Mor speculationz plz.

I'll bite.

Speculation: I'm going to bet JS2s do not come on Monday the 20th.

Logic: If they don't finish all the interviews until Friday evening, they'll need at least one more day to finalize decisions.

Precedent: After the first two weeks of JS1s ended on a Friday, the very first wave of JS2s occurred over the following Tuesday and Wednesday.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

Lavitz wrote:

I'll bite.

Logic: If they don't finish all the interviews until Friday evening, they'll need at least one more day to finalize decisions.

Precedent: After the first two weeks of JS1s ended on a Friday, the very first wave of JS2s occurred over the following Tuesday and Wednesday.

Damn those are some solid deductive skills. I bet you would do well on the LSAT or something.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 14, 2013 6:59 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

I'll bite.

Damn those are some solid deductive skills. I bet you would do well on the LSAT or something.

sorry, but what does LSAT stand for?

tidymnstr

Postby tidymnstr » Tue May 14, 2013 10:12 pm

JS said today that they would begin acceptances/denials in a couple of weeks.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 pm

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:31 pm

tidymnstr wrote:JS said today that they would begin acceptances/denials in a couple of weeks.

I can already tell that I'm not gonna like you...

tidymnstr

Postby tidymnstr » Tue May 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Sorry! Just thought to supply a new bone.

broadstreet11

Postby broadstreet11 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 pm

tidymnstr wrote:JS said today that they would begin acceptances/denials in a couple of weeks.

Let's all agree to pretend we never saw this

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 14, 2013 11:00 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:

Saw what ?

penguin2011

Postby penguin2011 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 pm

toothbrush wrote:
broadstreet11 wrote:

Saw what ?

I don't think it works if you quote what you "didn't see."

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 pm

penguin2011 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
broadstreet11 wrote:

Saw what ?

I don't think it works if you quote what you "didn't see."

??

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Wed May 15, 2013 1:23 am

Guys, let's make it an official rule: you can only speculate if it's potentially good news, if it's bad news better to keep to yourself :lol:

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 15, 2013 2:16 am

I can still fly with the 27th.

eyfl

Postby eyfl » Wed May 15, 2013 7:43 am

TripTrip wrote:I can still fly with the 27th.

I still hope the decision comes sooner. I'm slowly losing my mind and starting to question everything (including going to law school)...

jakeymay

Postby jakeymay » Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 am

Is it possible that they're waiting for Y/S to start pulling from their waitlists?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”