Harvard Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toothbrush

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Postby toothbrush » Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm

TripTrip wrote:
feelingood wrote:
jsjd1989 wrote:Okay, what is everyone's LOCI opinions? I have never sent one before and had my post WL JS1 like 2 weeks ago.... I don't even really know what to say besides, "I really want to go to Harvard..."

I've written 2 LOCIs since WL (one 2 weeks after being WL'd and one after my JS1), both of which included relevant updates to my application. I'm of the view that more positive information couldn't hurt and could possibly help. If one is not willing to fight tooth and nail to get into Harvard, perhaps Harvard isn't the place for that person :P.

[img]desperatelyattachedapplicant.[/img]

i lol'd

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm

feelingood wrote:
jsjd1989 wrote:Okay, what is everyone's LOCI opinions? I have never sent one before and had my post WL JS1 like 2 weeks ago.... I don't even really know what to say besides, "I really want to go to Harvard..."

I've written 2 LOCIs since WL (one 2 weeks after being WL'd and one after my JS1), both of which included relevant updates to my application. I'm of the view that more positive information couldn't hurt and could possibly help. If one is not willing to fight tooth and nail to get into Harvard, perhaps Harvard isn't the place for that person :P.

I'm down to actually fight all of you.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm

helix23 wrote:I'm down to actually fight all of you.

This reminds me...
helix23 wrote:I haven't played Brawl in a long time but I will beat anyone, anytime 1-on-1.

Brawl tournament to get into HLS.

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Lavitz wrote:

This reminds me...
helix23 wrote:I haven't played Brawl in a long time but I will beat anyone, anytime 1-on-1.

Dibs Icarus.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:59 pm

digifly wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

This reminds me...

Dibs Icarus.

lol gon get smashed by my Lucas

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 08, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm down for some Mario Kart.

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed May 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Dibs Icarus.

lol gon get smashed by my Lucas

Mario is typically my main man, but let's face it - Icarus is by far the "cheapest" character in the game. Gotta gun son.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 08, 2013 3:23 pm

digifly wrote:Mario is typically my main man, but let's face it - Icarus is by far the "cheapest" character in the game. Gotta gun son.

Really? I never noticed.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed May 08, 2013 3:30 pm

digifly wrote:Mario is typically my main man, but let's face it - Icarus is by far the "cheapest" character in the game. Gotta gun son.

You joking? There's a reason meta-knight is basically banned from competitive play.

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed May 08, 2013 3:32 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

You joking? There's a reason meta-knight is basically banned from competitive play.

Hmmm, that's true - they both can fly back from pretty much anywhere on the map, and they both have dual swords. I wanna say Icarus' arrows give him the advantage, though.

Besides, I'm banned from competitive play with Jigglypuff.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Who calls Pit Icarus?

Is Metaknight banned for this? It could get stupid otherwise.

Also, JS1 done. Had some skype issues. Hopefully she got a good impression otherwise. Any estimates on how long before the lack of a JS2 equals ding?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

digifly wrote:Besides, I'm banned from competitive play with Jigglypuff.

Jiggly main here as well, for melee.

I just kinda ignore that brawl exists, honestly. IcarusPit is definitely good, but metaknight is legit broken.

Also not sure why I'm posting in this thread - I got dinged - but I couldn't let a smash discussion go un-commented-upon.
Last edited by beepboopbeep on Wed May 08, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

untar614 wrote:Who calls Pit Icarus?

Is Metaknight banned for this? It could get stupid otherwise.

Also, JS1 done. Had some skype issues. Hopefully she got a good impression otherwise. Any estimates on how long before the lack of a JS2 equals ding?

Haha, total brain fart. I was thinking of "Kid Icarus." This is why I need to play Smash again.

jakeymay

Postby jakeymay » Wed May 08, 2013 3:38 pm

kirby is a ball to play

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 08, 2013 3:39 pm

untar614 wrote:Also, JS1 done. Had some skype issues. Hopefully she got a good impression otherwise. Any estimates on how long before the lack of a JS2 equals ding?

I figure there'll be one large wave at the end of the month. If you're not in that, you should probably worry. Maybe a few more spots will open up if anyone declines those offers, but you'd be counting on getting one of only a few spots at that point.

I don't think they'll actually remove anyone from the WL soon.

mustached

Postby mustached » Wed May 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Hey guys! I'm looking to send in a LOCI with updates and was wondering what is the view about mentioning starting a new entry-level job (think just above retail/fast food)? On one hand, it shows that you've been busy and productive with your time. On the other hand, it's nothing to brag about in itself and I wonder if it will lower your attractiveness because it's too prole-ish. ;)

I'm also thinking it would be a nice segue into mentioning some of the larger themes about law school; this job in particular exposes me to a ton of people and it is a position of arbitration.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm

mustached wrote:Hey guys! I'm looking to send in a LOCI with updates and was wondering what is the view about mentioning starting a new entry-level job (think just above retail/fast food)? On one hand, it shows that you've been busy and productive with your time. On the other hand, it's nothing to brag about in itself and I wonder if it will lower your attractiveness because it's too prole-ish. ;)

I'm also thinking it would be a nice segue into mentioning some of the larger themes about law school; this job in particular exposes me to a ton of people and it is a position of arbitration.

i've never heard the drive-thru at BK described as arbitration before

mustached

Postby mustached » Wed May 08, 2013 4:39 pm

helix23 wrote:
mustached wrote:Hey guys! I'm looking to send in a LOCI with updates and was wondering what is the view about mentioning starting a new entry-level job (think just above retail/fast food)? On one hand, it shows that you've been busy and productive with your time. On the other hand, it's nothing to brag about in itself and I wonder if it will lower your attractiveness because it's too prole-ish. ;)

i've never heard the drive-thru at BK described as arbitration before

Haha! Like I said, it's "just above" such things. :) It's a CSR position at a major company.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Wed May 08, 2013 5:13 pm

If you have to wonder whether the update is worth mentioning, it's not worth mentioning. They want major updates.

Not to knock you down, but you're a million times more likely to receive eye-rolls than any sort of bump for trying to describe answering customer service complaints as arbitration.

Sorry for the bitterness, but the nervousness that has spawned this need to send in updates is obnoxious. The WL is hardly a month old. If you've responded to the WL e-mail, a LOCI is not necessary at this point. They know you're interested. Think about doing this in July if you still haven't heard anything.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 08, 2013 5:17 pm

RSterling wrote:

If you have to wonder whether the update is worth mentioning, it's not worth mentioning. They want major updates.

Not to knock you down, but you're a million times more likely to receive eye-rolls than any sort of bump for trying to describe answering customer service complaints as arbitration.

Sorry for the bitterness, but the nervousness that has spawned this need to send in updates is obnoxious. The WL is hardly a month old. If you've responded to the WL e-mail, a LOCI is not necessary at this point. They know you're interested. Think about doing this in July if you still haven't heard anything.
+1

And I will refer back to my OverlyAttachedApplicant image from the previous page.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Guys, it's gonna be fine. Cumberland Law will take our June LSATs. One more retake and we can be their 100th percentile!

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:33 pm

txdude45 wrote:Guys, it's gonna be fine. Cumberland Law will take our June LSATs. One more retake and we can be their 100th percentile!

I'm about to hit up Barry for dat iPad.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 08, 2013 5:54 pm

If you were previously unemployed, then it might be worth an update. However, if you can't spin an entire LOCI out of the experience without it sounding cheesy, you may want to just send an updated resume.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Can anyone read a loci for me?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 08, 2013 7:01 pm

toothbrush wrote:Can anyone read a loci for me?

I can.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”