Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
joiedevivre18

New

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by joiedevivre18 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 am

porch wrote:So i decided I'm going to play this Harvard waitlist game. Emailed them a LOCI today saying and let them know about a big award I won at school. I never emailed them asking to be on the waitlist till last week and my status just got updated today. I was a 4/5 waitlist invite
+1. Waitlisted in early April and just sent a LOCI as well.

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:51 am

shakespeare wrote:More to discuss:
What's with the 3 different batches batches/waves of WL->JS1?
What does it mean that some people received the interview invite that Tuesday (1-2 days after being WL-ed), some that same Friday and some just late last week?

My guess is they're going by alphabetical order.

I take that back.
They threw the applications in the air and whichever ones landed on the desk got the interview invites earlier. Those that landed out the window have yet to get a JS1. :p
I don't have an answer to this, but I will add that I missed the first wave of WL->JS1 because I had not accepted their WL offer when the JS1 invites went out (my wife and I were still discussing whether we had it in us to let this drag on a few more months). I sent in my WL acceptance the day after the first JS1s and was offered a JS1 in the second wave. Perhaps some of the staggering is due to people trickling onto the wait list after sitting on their 4/5 offers?

I doubt that this situation is representative of many, but it may account for a bit of it... or none of it. Who knows?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 am

MAHamlin wrote:
shakespeare wrote:More to discuss:
What's with the 3 different batches batches/waves of WL->JS1?
What does it mean that some people received the interview invite that Tuesday (1-2 days after being WL-ed), some that same Friday and some just late last week?

My guess is they're going by alphabetical order.

I take that back.
They threw the applications in the air and whichever ones landed on the desk got the interview invites earlier. Those that landed out the window have yet to get a JS1. :p
I don't have an answer to this, but I will add that I missed the first wave of WL->JS1 because I had not accepted their WL offer when the JS1 invites went out (my wife and I were still discussing whether we had it in us to let this drag on a few more months). I sent in my WL acceptance the day after the first JS1s and was offered a JS1 in the second wave. Perhaps some of the staggering is due to people trickling onto the wait list after sitting on their 4/5 offers?

I doubt that this situation is representative of many, but it may account for a bit of it... or none of it. Who knows?
We know that the vast majority of people who were in the second wave accepted the WL offer right away.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 am

Thoughts on sending a post js1 LOCI / thank you?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 am

toothbrush wrote:Thoughts on sending a post js1 LOCI / thank you?
Wait until you get missed in the May waves unless you have something substantial to update with. (E.g., you just graduated at the top of your class.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am

So how did the JS1s go today?

sophie0910

New

Post by sophie0910 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 pm

I am so jealous of Js1s!!!

I was waitlisted 4/5

so... the fact that i missed the three wave basically means that I am hopeless????

should I send a LOCI at this point??

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 pm

sophie0910 wrote:I was waitlisted 4/5

so... the fact that i missed the three wave basically means that I am hopeless????
No.
sophie0910 wrote:should I send a LOCI at this point??
Do you have a significant update to your file? Won an important award, graduated with honors, named employee of the year, etc?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Prepare for thy judgment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:24 pm

lol @ john marshall. thx guyz.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:27 pm

helix23 wrote:lol @ john marshall. thx guyz.
Lol.

I swear it wasn't me.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:27 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Lol.

I swear it wasn't me.
♫♫ Helix came in 'n he caught me red-handed, freakin' wit da wait list form -♫♫

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 pm

digifly wrote:♫♫ Helix came in 'n he caught me red-handed, freakin' wit da wait list form -♫♫
Perfect. :lol:

Except it still wasn't me.

ETA: And of course now I have that song stuck in my head.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Hey GUYS.

Tomorrow is two days before the weekend prior to the week wherein Harvard may or may not begin admitting off the waitlist. WHO'S EXCITED?!

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 pm

TripTrip wrote:Hey GUYS.

Tomorrow is two days before the weekend prior to the week wherein Harvard may or may not begin admitting off the waitlist. WHO'S EXCITED?!
I'm gonna start posting dog pictures tomorrow. Just in case, y'know. We have almost 2 weeks of holidays here so I don't have anything important to do but post dog pictures.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Excited/terrified!

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Wait until you get missed in the May waves unless you have something substantial to update with. (E.g., you just graduated at the top of your class.)
I think it's not only safe to send an email thanking your interviewer, but the polite thing to do. Just keep it brief, on topic (i.e. thank you and how much you enjoyed the interview), and send it as "attn: KB/JS". I would't morph it into a LOCI though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

txdude45 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
I think it's not only safe to send an email thanking your interviewer, but the polite thing to do. Just keep it brief, on topic (i.e. thank you and how much you enjoyed the interview), and send it as "attn: KB/JS". I would't morph it into a LOCI though.
:oops: Did everyone do this? I didn't think it was necessary..

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

digifly wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Lol.

I swear it wasn't me.
♫♫ Helix came in 'n he caught me red-handed, freakin' wit da wait list form -♫♫

arrggg

Bronze

Post by arrggg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:00 pm

jychun412 wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
I don't think it's necessary (though it's polite). Seems like people have gotten in without writing a thank-you note.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:00 pm

jychun412 wrote:
txdude45 wrote:I think it's not only safe to send an email thanking your interviewer, but the polite thing to do. Just keep it brief, on topic (i.e. thank you and how much you enjoyed the interview), and send it as "attn: KB/JS". I would't morph it into a LOCI though.
I didn't think it was necessary and did not do this.

But then I got waitlisted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm

jychun412 wrote: :oops: Did everyone do this? I didn't think it was necessary..
I did it because I always do it for interviews. It certainly isn't necessary, but I think showing them a little love is the thing to do.

You can think about it two ways. If their job doesn't require them to interview, then they've taken time they could be spending on other things to interview you. If their job requires them to do interviews, as with JS/KB, it didn't have to be you they interviewed.

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 pm

txdude45 wrote:
I did it because I always do it for interviews. It certainly isn't necessary, but I think showing them a little love is the thing to do.

You can think about it two ways. If their job doesn't require them to interview, then they've taken time they could be spending on other things to interview you. If their job requires them to do interviews, as with JS/KB, it didn't have to be you they interviewed.
I didn't send the thank-you note/email (but I neither do that for job interviews). IMO saying 'thank you' at the end of the actual interview does the job of expressing your gratitude (and is polite) so sending something afterwards seems redundant.

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 pm

eyfl wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

I didn't send the thank-you note/email (but I neither do that for job interviews). IMO saying 'thank you' at the end of the actual interview does the job of expressing your gratitude (and is polite) so sending something afterwards seems redundant.
This makes me feel better because I do remember saying thank you at the end of the interview.
Still kinda worried but we'll see how it goes.

feelingood

New

Post by feelingood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:45 pm

AHHHHH my interview is Thursday--I'm freaking out. I am not prepared.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”