Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aussiebum

Bronze

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by Aussiebum » Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

toothbrush wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote: How do you draw conclusion from them asking where you'd deposited? I think they might have just wanted to know where you'd be going if you don't come to HLS
I mentioned in my reasoning for why I chose x that they were generous with aid. She asked if I realized that HLS does FA differently and would I attend if given the opportunity without aid.

Didn't have to draw much from that. She sort of asked. I guess others weren't asked that.
+1

She asked me the same thing. In almost the exact same language too. I think it was her way of asking if I would give up generous finaid at school X over Harvard at sticker price.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 pm

helix23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote: Didn't have to draw much from that. She sort of asked. I guess others weren't asked that.
I wasn't. Guess they assumed I'd be down to chop off a toe or two for the opp.
Well, I would too. Not sure why that's even a question. Js1bs sound dumb. it's HLS. Wouldn't ANYONE attend? (Looking at you, Lavitz)

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Aussiebum wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote: How do you draw conclusion from them asking where you'd deposited? I think they might have just wanted to know where you'd be going if you don't come to HLS
I mentioned in my reasoning for why I chose x that they were generous with aid. She asked if I realized that HLS does FA differently and would I attend if given the opportunity without aid.

Didn't have to draw much from that. She sort of asked. I guess others weren't asked that.
+1

She asked me the same thing. In almost the exact same language too. I think it was her way of asking if I would give up generous finaid at school X over Harvard at sticker price.
yeah, so fuck you MoTm :lol:

aussie - was it awkward for you as well? I basically bit my tongue when she called me out on choosing for FA and I felt dumb. i recovered well and stuff but it felt strange.

alphebetagamma

New

Post by alphebetagamma » Mon May 20, 2013 1:40 pm

How many people do we expect Harvard to accept from the waitlist? (I'm guessing this has already been answered, but couldn't find it quickly just by browsing the 57 page forum)

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 pm

alphebetagamma wrote:How many people do we expect Harvard to accept from the waitlist? (I'm guessing this has already been answered, but couldn't find it quickly just by browsing the 57 page forum)
in total ? ~250 / 800 I believe is the figure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alphebetagamma

New

Post by alphebetagamma » Mon May 20, 2013 1:45 pm

toothbrush wrote:
alphebetagamma wrote:How many people do we expect Harvard to accept from the waitlist? (I'm guessing this has already been answered, but couldn't find it quickly just by browsing the 57 page forum)
in total ? ~250 / 800 I believe is the figure.
Thank you!!! Is this an estimate based off LSN?

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 20, 2013 1:53 pm

toothbrush wrote:
helix23 wrote:
toothbrush wrote: Didn't have to draw much from that. She sort of asked. I guess others weren't asked that.
Well, I would too. Not sure why that's even a question. Js1bs sound dumb. it's HLS. Wouldn't ANYONE attend? (Looking at you, Lavitz)
Lol, just in case any Harvard adcomms are reading this, I'd like to mention that recent threads discussing PAYE, the ability to pay back sticker on a biglaw salary, and actual biglaw attrition rates and exit options have made me less debt-averse.

HTH

kfischm1

Bronze

Post by kfischm1 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Considering May 27 is Memorial Day (I'm still astonished that we all managed to overlook that), I'm gonna speculate that this Friday will be the JS2 wave.

No real basis to believe it will happen that day. No insider knowlegdge. Just think it will happen that day, but of course, would love to be proved wrong by it happening sooner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Think I have grounds to sue Harvard for prolonged emotional distress and discomfort, thus resulting in expedited hair loss and, therefore, diminished earning potential?

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Lavitz wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Lol, just in case any Harvard adcomms are reading this, I'd like to mention that recent threads discussing PAYE, the ability to pay back sticker on a biglaw salary, and actual biglaw attrition rates and exit options have made me less debt-averse.

HTH
Yeah, I too have become increasingly more strike-out averse than debt-averse

feelingood

New

Post by feelingood » Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Where was memorial day in relation to prior years' WL JS2 wave?

Aussiebum

Bronze

Post by Aussiebum » Mon May 20, 2013 2:45 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

+1

yeah, so fuck you MoTm :lol:

aussie - was it awkward for you as well? I basically bit my tongue when she called me out on choosing for FA and I felt dumb. i recovered well and stuff but it felt strange.
It was super awkward! I recovered by saying that Harvard has the best LRAP program and that made it an easy choice over the school where I have submitted a deposit with a generous financial aid offer. I truly believe that. In any case, she has always known that finances are a big concern for me because 1. I am interested in PI law and 2. I come from a very humble background and as a result have very few resources available to devote to law school. However, she didn't make me feel guilty or crazy for not jumping blindly at the idea of HLS at full sticker price. She was surprisingly sympathetic to my concerns and seemed to completely "get" why I would consider FinAid in my law school decisions making process. Instead, I think she was just trying to see if I had done my research about how FinAid works at HLS and whether I would still be interested in taking a spot off the wait-list if I did not receive as much aid. Thankfully I think I answered both her concerns adequately.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm

feelingood wrote:Where was memorial day in relation to prior years' WL JS2 wave?
Last year's JS2 wave wasn't until June 15th. Can't really draw anything from that.

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Lavitz wrote: Last year's JS2 wave wasn't until June 15th. Can't really draw anything from that.
During the 2010-11 and 2009-10 cycles, the WL->JS2 waves were before Memorial Day. I think last year was an aberration. There was all that drama with KB and JS both being on maternity leave and coming back and rounds of wait listings that stretched into May. Harvard's adcomms were behind the entire cycle.

Longtimelurk

New

Post by Longtimelurk » Mon May 20, 2013 3:01 pm

amc987 wrote:
Lavitz wrote: Last year's JS2 wave wasn't until June 15th. Can't really draw anything from that.
During the 2010-11 and 2009-10 cycles, the WL->JS2 waves were before Memorial Day. I think last year was an aberration. There was all that drama with KB and JS both being on maternity leave and coming back and rounds of wait listings that stretched into May. Harvard's adcomms were behind the entire cycle.
Mark this man. Come one, come all--JS2s are happening this week.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:01 pm

amc987 wrote:
During the 2010-11 and 2009-10 cycles, the WL->JS2 waves were before Memorial Day.
God is good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 20, 2013 3:01 pm

amc987 wrote:During the 2010-11 and 2009-10 cycles, the WL->JS2 waves were before Memorial Day. I think last year was an aberration. There was all that drama with KB and JS both being on maternity leave and coming back and rounds of wait listings that stretched into May. Harvard's adcomms were behind the entire cycle.
You're right, for some reason I thought the question said "last year's" so I didn't bother checking the years before that.

Odds of decisions coming this week just increased.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 20, 2013 3:04 pm

If they give out no more JS1's from the WL it is plausible that they will accept ~90% of the WL js1's thus far, right ?!

broadstreet11

Bronze

Post by broadstreet11 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm

toothbrush wrote:If they give out no more JS1's from the WL it is plausible that they will accept ~90% of the WL js1's thus far, right ?!
Depends. Are you looking for a real answer or a happy answer?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 20, 2013 3:07 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:If they give out no more JS1's from the WL it is plausible that they will accept ~90% of the WL js1's thus far, right ?!
Depends. Are you looking for a real answer or a happy answer?
Could it be both ?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Huh?

Anyway, decided to go back to the 10-11 WL thread. First JR2s were on Monday, May 9th. At least one of those receiving a JR2 had an interview the previous Friday.

Edit: got the date wrong.
Last edited by Lavitz on Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Huh?

Anyway, decided to go back to the 10-11 WL thread. First JR2s were on Monday, May 8th. At least one of those receiving a JR2 had an interview the previous Friday.
So it's gonna be TODAYTODAYTODAY?!?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Huh?
Ok. Originally we speculated that they were going to interview a lot more of the WL. So far they haven't. That isn't to say there won't be another wave of JS1's off the WL.

If we were to guess they won't do another round of jS1's then it's possible most of the people interviewed thus far will be js2'd

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 pm

What time do js/r2's go out ?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”