Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Longtimelurk

New

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by Longtimelurk » Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Why do such a small rejection wave, though?

That really doesn't make sense to me.

PrentissJames

New

Post by PrentissJames » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 am

Longtimelurk wrote:Why do such a small rejection wave, though?

That really doesn't make sense to me.
At this point, I love speculation (I'm also a huge Cleveland Cavaliers fan and the draft is coming up...so speculate away!)

First, I would suggest starting from the premise that both JS and KB are genuinely trying to make this process as streamlined and benevolent as possible. Thus, everything that happens comes not from an inability or indifference, but for some genuinely good reason. After going through all of our applications, they discovered for sure who they wanted (and they accepted them) who they were still unsure of (held) or who they knew wouldn't compare to the other applicants (rejected).

Therefore, I believe we have three options:
A: The small number of rejections were people they were 100% sure they wouldn't have spaces for and wanted them to know as soon as possible
B: The wave will continue over the next week or two as they turn from asking "who do we want" to "who wouldn't get in compared to everyone else"
C: The wave itself was bigger, because the representation on TLS is of a higher quality than the population writ large. In other words, there were far more rejections, but because only the most overly motivated (and anxious) people come on TLS, they represent the best of the best on the WL and thus the rejected population is underrepresented here.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:23 am

I also think that people are just less likely to report rejections. Especially the anon users - when they're rejected, the last thing on their mind is going to be uploading it to a spreadsheet for some strangers on the internet they don't even communicate with to see.

Acceptances, on the other hand, are probably reported more often, because by reporting it they are reinforcing the fact that it's real.

Then again, I'm probably just projecting. I'd report it either way, but if I were rejected I'd be forcing myself to do it, whereas if I were accepted I would do it happily (though it might take a few days :D )

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I also think that people are just less likely to report rejections. Especially the anon users - when they're rejected, the last thing on their mind is going to be uploading it to a spreadsheet for some strangers on the internet they don't even communicate with to see.

Acceptances, on the other hand, are probably reported more often, because by reporting it they are reinforcing the fact that it's real.

Then again, I'm probably just projecting. I'd report it either way, but if I were rejected I'd be forcing myself to do it, whereas if I were accepted I would do it happily (though it might take a few days :D )
Yea.. This is why LSN always shows such a strong accept/reject ratio. Most rejected applicants never update from "pending". I made sure to include my Harvard decision on TLS just for posterity.

PrentissJames

New

Post by PrentissJames » Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I also think that people are just less likely to report rejections. Especially the anon users - when they're rejected, the last thing on their mind is going to be uploading it to a spreadsheet for some strangers on the internet they don't even communicate with to see.

Spot on!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aussiebum

Bronze

Post by Aussiebum » Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

+1

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 pm

I bet there will be nothing but silence until next week at least, any takers?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm

eyfl wrote:I bet there will be nothing but silence until next week at least, any takers?
JS2s within the hour!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm

helix23 wrote:
eyfl wrote:I bet there will be nothing but silence until next week at least, any takers?
JS1s within the hour!
ftfy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Thu May 30, 2013 1:23 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
helix23 wrote:
JS1s within the hour!
ftfy
This actually sounds more plausible. They have rejected those they're unlikely to admit, they are unlikely to do more JS2s right now (after a huge 3-day wave) & probably don't have much to do - why not do more interviews and chat with lovely fellows, 15 minutes at a time?

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Perhaps after the June 14 deposit deadline, we'll see huge waves of rejections.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 pm

shakespeare wrote:Perhaps after the June 14 deposit deadline, we'll see huge waves of rejections.
Yeah, I would think after the deadline they will offer a few acceptances to fill any spots they didn't fill with the first wave, and then possibly cull the wait list some more to reflect the fewer spots still up in the air.

Aussiebum

Bronze

Post by Aussiebum » Thu May 30, 2013 2:40 pm

untar614 wrote:
shakespeare wrote:Perhaps after the June 14 deposit deadline, we'll see huge waves of rejections.
Yeah, I would think after the deadline they will offer a few acceptances to fill any spots they didn't fill with the first wave, and then possibly cull the wait list some more to reflect the fewer spots still up in the air.
I am so proud to be Harvard's Plan C.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PrentissJames

New

Post by PrentissJames » Thu May 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Aussiebum wrote: I am so proud to be Harvard's Plan C.
I'd just be happy to be Harvard's Plan G if that meant I'd go there. Once we are in the door, we are in the door.

Speaking of interviews...I'd kill for another Skype interview. Heck, I'd drive up to Boston to do an in-person interview!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:33 pm

PrentissJames wrote:
I'd just be happy to be Harvard's Plan G if that meant I'd go there. Once we are in the door, we are in the door.

Speaking of interviews...I'd kill for another Skype interview. Heck, I'd drive up to Boston to do an in-person interview!
Seriously. I'm still rethinking it in my mind how I didn't get an opportunity to talk about anything outside of stuff on my resume and how I feel it made me come off. meh.

tidymnstr

New

Post by tidymnstr » Thu May 30, 2013 10:16 pm

PrentissJames wrote:

I think if you killed, hmmm... MOTM perhaps? (he did reject HLS after all), you may get another! :lol:

PrentissJames

New

Post by PrentissJames » Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, they do have really good recruitment commercials...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnNk2Al2yF8

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vamopalla

New

Post by vamopalla » Thu May 30, 2013 11:54 pm

PrentissJames wrote:Well, they do have really good recruitment commercials...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnNk2Al2yF8
Someone sent me this after I got rejected from H during high school http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1n7I47cBQ

lawschooler2be

New

Post by lawschooler2be » Fri May 31, 2013 12:04 am

Am I right in assuming everything is over by this point, given the fb group has reached 550+ and all the people admitted off the wl will almost certainly be matriculating given the js1bs? In other words, time to start binge drinking/eating away the sorrow.

Edit: also, were there more js1 invites in may (there are a couple listed on the spreadsheet, but did those people list the invite date or the actual js1 interview date by mistake?)

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 am

lawschooler2be wrote:Am I right in assuming everything is over by this point, given the fb group has reached 550+ and all the people admitted off the wl will almost certainly be matriculating given the js1bs? In other words, time to start binge drinking/eating away the sorrow.

Edit: also, were there more js1 invites in may (there are a couple listed on the spreadsheet, but did those people list the invite date or the actual js1 interview date by mistake?)
it doesn't look too good bro.

Aussiebum

Bronze

Post by Aussiebum » Fri May 31, 2013 9:37 am

lawschooler2be wrote:Am I right in assuming everything is over by this point, given the fb group has reached 550+ and all the people admitted off the wl will almost certainly be matriculating given the js1bs? In other words, time to start binge drinking/eating away the sorrow.

Don't turn into Amanda Bynes. Not even HLS is worth that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PrentissJames

New

Post by PrentissJames » Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 am

It ain't over till it's over!

It's been almost 8 months. I'm not giving up now and neither should you.

sunshine89

New

Post by sunshine89 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:58 am

Been lurking for quite a while, but yes, I got a JS1 invite on 5/3, interview 5/14, haven't heard anything since.

PrentissJames

New

Post by PrentissJames » Fri May 31, 2013 12:57 pm

Let's do some speculation.

1) Obviously, there will be more people admitted from this point on or else there would have been a lot more rejections sent out. If they only expected 2-4 people to turn down admissions/defer, then they would whittle down the waitlist even more. Because there hasn't been as massive of a rejections yet, there might be more spots available for us.

2) They've already gone through the waitlist and rejected the people that wouldn't fit. They must find something redeeming and attractive in our applications to want to keep us around. When spots open up, they are ours!

3) Wishful Thinking - From this point on, Softs will matter even more than the hard numbers. They admitted a lot of high-scoring people off of the waitlist already. I'm speculating that from now on, softs will matter much more (Military, Intern, Work, URM, being from Cleveland, etc)

Now it's just us...
We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers... (Name that reference!)

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

PrentissJames wrote:Let's do some speculation.

1) Obviously, there will be more people admitted from this point on or else there would have been a lot more rejections sent out. If they only expected 2-4 people to turn down admissions/defer, then they would whittle down the waitlist even more. Because there hasn't been as massive of a rejections yet, there might be more spots available for us.

2) They've already gone through the waitlist and rejected the people that wouldn't fit. They must find something redeeming and attractive in our applications to want to keep us around. When spots open up, they are ours!

3) Wishful Thinking - From this point on, Softs will matter even more than the hard numbers. They admitted a lot of high-scoring people off of the waitlist already. I'm speculating that from now on, softs will matter much more (Military, Intern, Work, URM, being from Cleveland, etc)

Now it's just us...
We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers... (Name that reference!)
I hate to say it but this story ends up like your avatar: dead in a pool waiting for dat phone call :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”