Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
helix23

Gold

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by helix23 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 pm

so how bout dem yankees

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri May 10, 2013 12:53 pm

helix23 wrote:so how bout dem yankees
That's CLS/NYU talk, homie.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 10, 2013 1:31 pm

trojandave wrote:Image
Booooo.

This is probably why I got waitlisted.
RSterling wrote:But I guess if last time you saw 27 and there was a wave, a small wave is possible. I guess it's also possible that a few JS1s went out and no one reported on TLS.
Yeah, but I think they also added more slots to the week after that when they did that wave. So like I said, there probably won't be another wave unless they also plan on doing interviews the week of the 20th. I don't think they'd send out something like 15 JS1s and give them only 24 possible times before making decisions.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm

trojandave wrote:
helix23 wrote:so how bout dem yankees
That's CLS/NYU talk, homie.
this JS2 wait leaves me no other choice

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 10, 2013 1:36 pm

trojandave wrote:That's CLS/NYU talk, homie.
Actually, wait. How come Cornell is left out of this?

From their admitted students page:
By the time our students graduate they have often dined at the homes of faculty members, worked closely on an academic project with a faculty member or discussed in detail the upcoming season of the New York Yankees or Mets with a faculty member who is also a rabid Yankee or Mets fan.
8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 pm

helix23 wrote: this JS2 wait leaves me no other choice
What about the World Series you just won??
Lavitz wrote: Actually, wait. How come Cornell is left out of this?
From their admitted students page:
By the time our students graduate they have often dined at the homes of faculty members, worked closely on an academic project with a faculty member or discussed in detail the upcoming season of the New York Yankees or Mets with a faculty member who is also a rabid Yankee or Mets fan.
8)
I almost included Cornell but figured you're stuck in Toronto territory :)

But if we're gonna be honest here, the American League isn't even real baseball.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 10, 2013 2:10 pm

trojandave wrote:I almost included Cornell but figured you're stuck in Toronto territory :)

But if we're gonna be honest here, the American League isn't even real baseball.
Ithaca is pretty much equidistant from both Toronto and the Bronx. And since we're in New York State, obviously we should be associated with the New York teams, not the team from another country.

And explain yourself. Is this about the DH thing?

eph

Bronze

Post by eph » Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Ithica is Bison territory and as they are the Triple-A farm team of the Blue Jays...Toronto it is.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 10, 2013 2:22 pm

eph wrote:Ithica is Bison territory and as they are the Triple-A farm team of the Blue Jays...Toronto it is.
Proximity to the nearest minor league team is irrelevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Lavitz wrote:
trojandave wrote:I almost included Cornell but figured you're stuck in Toronto territory :)

Ithaca is pretty much equidistant from both Toronto and the Bronx. And since we're in New York State, obviously we should be associated with the New York teams, not the team from another country.

And explain yourself. Is this about the DH thing?
Exactly - 9 positions and 9 players. Having a pitcher in the lineup adds so much strategy on both sides of the ball that you lose with a DH. It influences how you substitute, pitch to certain players / spots in the lineup, and makes the occasional pitcher who can hit that much more of a commodity.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 pm

trojandave wrote:Exactly - 9 positions and 9 players. Having a pitcher in the lineup adds so much strategy on both sides of the ball that you lose with a DH. It influences how you substitute, pitch to certain players / spots in the lineup, and makes the occasional pitcher who can hit that much more of a commodity.
Even if I accepted all of that as true and admitted that the National League rules enhance strategical possibilities, why should I accept the premise that having 9 positions and 9 players makes the difference between "real" baseball and "fake" baseball?

Why should a game that emphasizes strategical opportunity be considered "real" baseball while a game that emphasizes division of labor and allowing players who can still hit but are no longer efficient in the field the opportunity to participate be considered "fake" baseball?

I believe the games share enough in common (hitting an identical ball with a bat, 9 identical positions, 3 bases and a home plate, 3 strikes for an out, 4 balls for a walk, etc.) that any reasonable observer would agree that they could be referred to with the same blanket term.

So you would have to argue that this 9-player, 9-position rule should be a defining feature of baseball in order for me to agree with you the only the National League is "real."

Plus our DH was MVP in the 2009 World Series.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Lavitz wrote:
trojandave wrote:Exactly - 9 positions and 9 players. Having a pitcher in the lineup adds so much strategy on both sides of the ball that you lose with a DH. It influences how you substitute, pitch to certain players / spots in the lineup, and makes the occasional pitcher who can hit that much more of a commodity.
Even if I accepted all of that as true and admitted that the National League rules enhance strategical possibilities, why should I accept the premise that having 9 positions and 9 players makes the difference between "real" baseball and "fake" baseball?

Why should a game that emphasizes strategical opportunity be considered "real" baseball while a game that emphasizes division of labor and allowing players who can still hit but are no longer efficient in the field the opportunity to participate be considered "fake" baseball?

I believe the games share enough in common (hitting a ball with a bat, 9 identical positions, 3 bases and a home plate, 3 strikes for an out, 4 balls for a walk, etc.) that any reasonable observer would agree that they could be referred to with the same blanket term.

So you would have to argue that this 9-player, 9-position rule should be a defining feature of baseball in order for me to agree with you the only the National League is "real."

Plus our DH was MVP in the 2010 World Series.
No, you can't say one is "real" and another isn't, but let's not get all law-student on word choice, here - I'm speaking colloquially. (Though I can say the NL is "original" and "traditional", and as such, the NL is the basis of "authentic" / "real". The only question now is how far can we deviate before we're no longer 'real'?)

You want to make room for 1 deviation at the pitcher's spot? That's fine. But what about 2? What if I want a defensive short stop playing the field but a better bat in the lineup? Or what about 3 deviations? What about full-on football rules where you have entirely separate defenses and offenses? It's a gray area of where you draw the line, and I personally prefer the strategy and tradition of the original rules. How far we can deviate isn't really a discussion I wanted to start though, I'm just saying NL is, in my opinion, a better product. But I'm also a Cincinnati Reds fan, so I don't always make the smartest choices.

Anyway, can HLS give us something better to talk about soon? This is the coolest thread on TLS at the moment and I want you guys admitted asap

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 10, 2013 3:57 pm

trojandave wrote:No, you can't say one is "real" and another isn't, but let's not get all law-student on word choice, here - I'm speaking colloquially. (Though I can say the NL is "original" and "traditional", and as such, the NL is the basis of "authentic" / "real". The only question now is how far can we deviate before we're no longer 'real'?)

You want to make room for 1 deviation at the pitcher's spot? That's fine. But what about 2? What if I want a defensive short stop playing the field but a better bat in the lineup? Or what about 3 deviations? What about full-on football rules where you have entirely separate defenses and offenses? It's a gray area of where you draw the line, and I personally prefer the strategy and tradition of the original rules. How far we can deviate isn't really a discussion I wanted to start though, I'm just saying NL is, in my opinion, a better product. But I'm also a Cincinnati Reds fan, so I don't always make the smartest choices.

Anyway, can HLS give us something better to talk about soon? This is the coolest thread on TLS at the moment and I want you guys admitted asap
My entire argument depends on getting "law-student" on word choice :wink:

You did well to identify the "original rules = authentic = real" argument. I expected you to follow up with a softball analogy, but your deviations argument sufficed.

I give you a B+.

We got some good exam practice in. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri May 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Lavitz wrote:You did well to identify the "original rules = authentic = real" argument. I expected you to follow up with a softball analogy, but your deviations argument sufficed.
Something something something UVA.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 10, 2013 4:21 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Lavitz wrote:You did well to identify the "original rules = authentic = real" argument. I expected you to follow up with a softball analogy, but your deviations argument sufficed.
Something something something UVA.
I dig the new 'tar.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 pm

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri May 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

atleast end of next week. at least.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 am

toothbrush wrote:atleast end of next week. at least.
Nah. It'll start on a Monday. Either the 13th or the 20th.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 am

TripTrip wrote:
Why ? Did regular js1's go out on Mondays ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am

toothbrush wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
There are JS1s scheduled Tuesday through Friday next week, so if JS2s were going to happen they would probably be on Monday.

The week after is just speculation, but if it's not Monday 5/13 it won't be until sometime the week of the 20th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 am

TripTrip wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
There are JS1s scheduled Tuesday through Friday next week, so if JS2s were going to happen they would probably be on Monday.

The week after is just speculation, but if it's not Monday 5/13 it won't be until sometime the week of the 20th.
So you say it's just 2 more days of waiting?!

Is there someone neurotic enough to check the days of post-WL JS2s in the last few years? If it's the same day then we know when to expect 'em this year, if days are different I'd assume it's same as last year.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 pm

eyfl wrote:Is there someone neurotic enough to check the days of post-WL JS2s in the last few years?
These are the first reports of post-WL JS2s. Disclaimer: you will be severely disheartened if you click.

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 pm

TripTrip wrote:
eyfl wrote:Is there someone neurotic enough to check the days of post-WL JS2s in the last few years?
These are the first reports of post-WL JS2s. Disclaimer: you will be severely disheartened if you click.
Not sure why you thought I'd be disheartened; because JS2s started only in June? But that was first year for JS (who claimed this cycle will be more similar to 2011 where first reported post-WL JR2 came on May 9th!) so for all we know the calls are right around the corner.

Anyway, last year it was Thursday while in 2011 in was Monday, also Monday for 2010 (May 11th). My money's on some action on Monday, May 13th this year.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sat May 11, 2013 1:12 pm

eyfl wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Not sure why you thought I'd be disheartened; because JS2s started only in June? But that was first year for JS (who claimed this cycle will be more similar to 2011 where first reported post-WL JR2 came on May 9th!) so for all we know the calls are right around the corner.

Anyway, last year it was Thursday while in 2011 in was Monday, also Monday for 2010 (May 11th). My money's on some action on Monday, May 13th this year.
Yeah, I don't think last year is representative (I certainly don't think the first wave will be in late June), but then I'm not sure any year really is representative.

I like your Monday find though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”