Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sd1234

Bronze

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by sd1234 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 am

Was the general thought from early in this thread you're more likely be accepted off the WL if you had your JS1 after being WLed compared to if you had had your JS1 before being WLed?

edited for garbledness

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:23 pm

sd1234 wrote:Was the general thought from early in this thread you're more likely be accepted off the WL if you had your JS1 after being WLed compared to if you had had your JS1 before being WLed?

edited for garbledness
Maybe I've forgotten, but I'm not sure there was a general thought about this. You could look at past years and see what percent of the Post-JS1 WLs were eventually admitted. But for something like this it's hard to quantify the data, since it can't be entirely numbers based (assuming your numbers are what got you your JS1 in the first place).

Perhaps someone else can answer.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 pm

sd1234 wrote:Was the general thought from early in this thread you're more likely be accepted off the WL if you had your JS1 after being WLed compared to if you had had your JS1 before being WLed?

edited for garbledness
Not sure which is in a better position, but the odds don't look very good for either. Still non-zero though, so I'm saying there's a chance. In past years, if you got WL > JS1 then the likelihood of acceptance was > 90%. IIRC in one year 100% of WL > JS1 also had JS2.

However, based on the expanded number of interviews, I think the odds of WL > JS1 > JS2 go down significantly this year. 25 people already reported WL > JS1 on the spreadsheet, which is more than we've seen in any other year; the number of open interview slots also suggests H is not yet done offering JS1s. If self-reporters on the Google doc represent about 15% of the applicant pool (this number based purely on TLS CW that LSN represents about 15% of applicants), then we would expect about 600 on the WL, with about 170 being offered JS1s off the WL. Once you account for the JS1s to WLs (25 / . 15 = 170 again), then you've got almost 400 JS1s with maybe a quarter to a third getting in.

But don't put too much faith in this post, because I'm mostly pulling numbers out of my ass here since I don't have anything else to do with my time.

LSH91

New

Post by LSH91 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:39 pm

After looking through the 2012 thread it seems that almost all WL-->JS1s received JS2s while only some of the JS1-->WL folks received JS2s. However take that with a grain of salt because 1) this is only counting those reporting to TLS and 2) last year JS1s were only offered after the May 1 deadline whereas this year they started very early and are offering quite a few slots.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p5766668

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm curious to see how many JS1s Harvard offers to waitlisted applicants this year. I would assume that the more JS1s they offer, the less likely it will be that post-WL JS1s get in. Of course, having a post-WL JS1 definitely puts you at a significant advantage vis-a-vis those who have not yet received a post-WL JS1.

On that note, thoughts on when the next wave of JS1s might go out, assuming there will be another wave? After May 1?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TrustInMusic

Bronze

Post by TrustInMusic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:54 pm

This year's cycle seems too different to draw useful inferences from previous cycles.
The FB group recently passed the 500 mark, if that matters. Perhaps there will be significant WL movement.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Significant wait list movement would be awesome :) Congrats on your acceptance TrustinMusic!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Would it be better to send in a LOCI before my interview or afterwards?

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:12 pm

toothbrush wrote:Would it be better to send in a LOCI before my interview or afterwards?
If they already offered you an interview I would hold off on the LOCI. They're obviously interested in you. Maybe send the LOCI if the first round of JS2s comes and goes and you haven't heard back? Just my two cents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:15 pm

chickpea wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Would it be better to send in a LOCI before my interview or afterwards?
If they already offered you an interview I would hold off on the LOCI. They're obviously interested in you. Maybe send the LOCI if the first round of JS2s comes and goes and you haven't heard back? Just my two cents.
Ok that's what I was thinking as well. I just didn't send much into HLS originally so. I guess I will save the LOCI to make up for bad interview points (is it bad I already know this will happen) and to show I still want it..

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm sure you'll ace the interview - positive thinking :)

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 pm

chickpea wrote:Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm sure you'll ace the interview - positive thinking :)
I second that. It's important to remember they don't want you to fail, they just want to get to know you better / in person. It's kind of when you see someone's pic and think "hmm.. I'd like to meet that person."

nmb43

New

Post by nmb43 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:17 pm

edited for garbledness
I hope not

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I will immodestly post this re: positive thinking and law school interviews. I hope it helps all!:

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistak ... ub-in-you/

grillendacheese

New

Post by grillendacheese » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Hey, all - I'm a long time lurker, usually don't like to post on these things - but I guess I'm going as crazy as the rest of us in this group. I got a post-WL JS1 as well, but I have a slightly different take on it than the rest of you.

As I'm sure many of you recall, Harvard spoke a big game this year about how they were going to do more interviews than ever before:
Soban said that the Law School aims to invite 1,200 students to interview in the new format by the end of this year’s admissions cycle, compared to 1,000 candidates who were interviewed via phone last year. - Harvard Crimson
We know that a sizable portion of the WL has been interviewed in some way or another. My theory is that Harvard is behind on their quota for interviews and is using WLers to get their numbers up.

Look, I could be wrong, but at the end of the day - this is a weird year for law school admissions - and until HLS tips its hand, it is going to be impossible to decipher anything (how many they Wl'd, how deep they plan to dip into the WL, Pre-WL JS1 vs. Post-WL JS1). There is only one universal truth that we all know: some of us will get in and some of us won't. Only time will tell.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:23 pm

grillendacheese wrote:Hey, all - I'm a long time lurker, usually don't like to post on these things - but I guess I'm going as crazy as the rest of us in this group. I got a post-WL JS1 as well, but I have a slightly different take on it than the rest of you.

As I'm sure many of you recall, Harvard spoke a big game this year about how they were going to do more interviews than ever before:
Soban said that the Law School aims to invite 1,200 students to interview in the new format by the end of this year’s admissions cycle, compared to 1,000 candidates who were interviewed via phone last year. - Harvard Crimson
We know that a sizable portion of the WL has been interviewed in some way or another. My theory is that Harvard is behind on their quota for interviews and is using WLers to get their numbers up.

Look, I could be wrong, but at the end of the day - this is a weird year for law school admissions - and until HLS tips its hand, it is going to be impossible to decipher anything (how many they Wl'd, how deep they plan to dip into the WL, Pre-WL JS1 vs. Post-WL JS1). There is only one universal truth that we all know: some of us will get in and some of us won't. Only time will tell.
welcometotls.jpg

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 pm

grillendacheese wrote:Hey, all - I'm a long time lurker, usually don't like to post on these things - but I guess I'm going as crazy as the rest of us in this group. I got a post-WL JS1 as well, but I have a slightly different take on it than the rest of you.

Harvard is interviewing WL in order to reach a quota that they set and that they would never have to tell anyone if they didn't hit? And that nobody would care if they didn't hit?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Harvard is interviewing WL in order to reach a quota that they set and that they would never have to tell anyone if they didn't hit? And that nobody would care if they didn't hit?
Please see his disclaimer about being "crazy"

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:34 pm

As your attorney I advise you to plead the 5th

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:38 pm

this is a terrible first post. they're making more work for themselves in order to meet an arbitrary number which they set and which they can ignore if they want? of course the higher number of JS1s means fewer JS1 > JS2 per capita but you dont need to say that so bluntly. get your negative vibes outta this thread bro :twisted:

grillendacheese

New

Post by grillendacheese » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 pm

wert3813 wrote:Harvard is interviewing WL in order to reach a quota that they set and that they would never have to tell anyone if they didn't hit? And that nobody would care if they didn't hit?
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:160

this is a terrible first post. they're making more work for themselves in order to meet an arbitrary number which they set and which they can ignore if they want? of course the higher number of JS1s means fewer JS1 > JS2 per capita but you dont need to say that so bluntly. get your negative vibes outta this thread bro :twisted:

Be gentle with me, it was my first time :wink: But really - there are people who care about the numbers and Harvard loses credibility if they come out and make bold (and specific) targets and can't hit them. That's all I'm gonna say, and I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just trying to be realistic. Of course I'd love it if we all got in and if that turns out to be the case, I'll buy you a beer next year and we can laugh about it then. Cheers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:57 pm

grillendacheese wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Harvard is interviewing WL in order to reach a quota that they set and that they would never have to tell anyone if they didn't hit? And that nobody would care if they didn't hit?

Be gentle with me, it was my first time :wink: But really - there are people who care about the numbers and Harvard loses credibility if they come out and make bold (and specific) targets and can't hit them. That's all I'm gonna say, and I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just trying to be realistic. Of course I'd love it if we all got in and if that turns out to be the case, I'll buy you a beer next year and we can laugh about it then. Cheers.
fine, 165

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 pm

grillendacheese wrote:

Go home. ITT, be drunk on Harvard kool-aid or GTFO.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:00 pm

i laughed

welcome to tls.

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:49 pm

It's great to see some new voices speculating. Welcome to the circus.

I'll just add a comment about these WL JS1s. We're expecting about 350 people who get interviews not to be accepted. Presumably most folks who get interviewed are not directly rejected. We've only seen a few on TLS. For argument's sake we'll assume that it's 50 JS1--Rejection without the WL. That leaves 300 waitlisted people who will have JS1s and not be admitted.

In addition we're assuming that they accept about 150 from the waitlist. So the waitlist should have about 450 people with JS1s. If we take the total waitlist at 600, that gives us about 75% that will be, or will already have been, interviewed.

I have no idea if the chances are better with pre or post WL interviews. But they are clearly planning to interview a very high proportion of the waitlist.

Most likely they worked out at the beginning of the cycle how many interviews would be before the waitlist and how many afterwards. There is no indication that they are behind on their quota. But they do need to interview a ton of waitlisted folks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”