Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
arrggg

Bronze

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by arrggg » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 pm

helix23 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
helix23 wrote:regardless of what happens I am just damn curious to see how it all goes down.
+1

I'm looking forward to seeing who Harvard's first round draft picks will be.
I hope my fake dead girlfriend doesn't hurt my chances of getting a JS2 :|
kobe10.gif

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

for those who were js1'd off the wl .. if js decides she doesnt want them.. will they ever be dinged ? or do they just sit on the WL til august ?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Presumably they'd reject people they just couldn't see HLS taking instead of stringing them along. Threes def precedent for culling the WL in years past

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Presumably they'd reject people they just couldn't see HLS taking instead of stringing them along. Threes def precedent for culling the WL in years past
That's actually really good. it would be pretty unfair to keep someone hanging on 'til the end.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm

toothbrush wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Presumably they'd reject people they just couldn't see HLS taking instead of stringing them along. Threes def precedent for culling the WL in years past
That's actually really good. it would be pretty unfair to keep someone hanging on 'til the end.
they do keep people hanging on until the end (september WL->dings last cycle)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Where?! On LSN I can't find any post-WL dings until August.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Well, that sucks.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:57 pm

toothbrush wrote:Well, that sucks.
If you're not included in the May wave, your chances of admission drop dramatically. Even though you haven't been dinged, on June 1 you may as well sign that lease at school #2.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Has anyone submitted an LOCI yet who was WL'ed this past week? If so, did you email JS or handwrite and snail mail it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 pm

TripTrip wrote:
check last year's thread. Just looking quickly I see a ding on July 20th.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 pm

helix23 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
I hereby expand my statement to include one week before August.

Point being, there's not a gradual culling throughout May, June, and July.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:
helix23 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
I hereby expand my statement to include one week before August.

Point being, there's not a gradual culling throughout May, June, and July.
i had to go back and check but your right - it looks like most people are left hanging on, with a big cut around late july/early august. looks like they leave a few on just in case anyone gets cold feet. if this cycle resembles 2011, which so far it's looking to, then if you don't get any news by may 20 (ish) then you're donezo

unrelated question: how big do you guys think the WL is? i was just looking at the google doc and it shows 94 waitlisted, and if we use the standard estimate of 15% of the applicant pool on TLS/LSN, that means over 600 on the WL. that number seems huge. are we underestimating the overlap between TLS/LSN and the overall pool?

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 pm

I was dinged on July 27th last year and it seemed like a lot of others were as well. There were some acceptances in August and the rest of the WL was gone at the end of August/early September.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote: unrelated question: how big do you guys think the WL is? i was just looking at the google doc and it shows 94 waitlisted, and if we use the standard estimate of 15% of the applicant pool on TLS/LSN, that means over 600 on the WL. that number seems huge. are we underestimating the overlap between TLS/LSN and the overall pool?
That does seem like a lot, but they do get more than five thousand apps. Is it unlikely that they would WL 600 of those?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 pm

masked kavana wrote:I was dinged on July 27th last year and it seemed like a lot of others were as well. There were some acceptances in August and the rest of the WL was gone at the end of August/early September.
was that post js1 though ? that's my question really.

those who are js1'd SHOULD (IMO) be dinged if they're not accepted material..

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 pm

helix23 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote: unrelated question: how big do you guys think the WL is? i was just looking at the google doc and it shows 94 waitlisted, and if we use the standard estimate of 15% of the applicant pool on TLS/LSN, that means over 600 on the WL. that number seems huge. are we underestimating the overlap between TLS/LSN and the overall pool?
That does seem like a lot, but they do get more than five thousand apps. Is it unlikely that they would WL 600 of those?
Seems kind of harsh to give so many a glimmer of hope when they accept only 100-150ish off the WL but I guess they want to keep their options open. if they look for a certain combination of numbers and softs as they fill spots off the WL then it would make sense to hold onto far more than they'd ever need

oh well, i guess i talked myself out of that one
toothbrush wrote:those who are js1'd SHOULD (IMO) be dinged if they're not accepted material..
+1 to this sentiment
Someone said earlier in another thread that the HLS WL is about 7x what TLS shows.
I've seen that but not really sure where it comes from. LSN shows 140 acceptances, which would translate into about 950 acceptances if 7x were the right number so that's clearly wrong. we know there probably arn't more than 750 acceptances at this point. by the same logic i wonder if our WL assumption of 7x is also flawed
Last edited by MyNameIsFlynn! on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 pm

helix23 wrote:
Someone said earlier in another thread that the HLS WL is about 7x what TLS shows.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 pm

toothbrush wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Remember that the ratio is for LSN alone. A lot of people, even those who use TLS, don't have LSN accounts. Even more, I think the spreadsheet also includes people who don't even have TLS accounts. I count a little bit more than 20 users who are self identifying as anonymous/lurkers.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:01 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
toothbrush wrote:those who are js1'd SHOULD (IMO) be dinged if they're not accepted material..
+1 to this sentiment
They don't know which candidates will withdraw before they can call them and have no reason to take options off the table.
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
I've seen that but not really sure where it comes from. LSN shows 140 acceptances, which would translate into about 950 acceptances if 7x were the right number so that's clearly wrong. we know there probably arn't more than 750 acceptances at this point. by the same logic i wonder if our WL assumption of 7x is also flawed
LSN usually represents around 10% of total applicants but 20% of the admit pool because LSN applicants are unrepresentative of the total applicant pool in that they did sufficient research before applying (or at least enough to find LSN).

Multiply LSN applicants by 10 to get the total number of applicants. (Checks out +/-3% based on historical data.)
Multiply LSN admits by 5 to get the total number of admits. (Checks out +/-6% based on historical data.)

Thus, since WL is in between admit and applicant, multiply LSN WLs by 7 to get an estimate of the total WL.

It's a weird estimation, but it's gotta be somewhere between 5x and 10x. (500-1000 total current WL.)
Last edited by TripTrip on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

DipNote

New

Post by DipNote » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 am

How did ya'll submit your LOCIs?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 am

DipNote wrote:How did ya'll submit your LOCIs?
Email is better at this point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

testaker

New

Post by testaker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 am

Does anyone have an interview scheduled for tomorrow that has not yet been confirmed by the office? Trying to gauge whether this is the norm or not...

d330

Bronze

Post by d330 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:46 am

For certain one spot will open up soon because I'll be declining my offer. Hope one of you get that call.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:53 am

d330 wrote:For certain one spot will open up soon because I'll be declining my offer. Hope one of you get that call.
could you do me a favor and deposit, then withdraw once I get my June retake score back?

damn, seems like this June retake is unlikely to do me any good for Harvard.

shakespeare

Bronze

Post by shakespeare » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 am

More to discuss:
What's with the 3 different batches batches/waves of WL->JS1?
What does it mean that some people received the interview invite that Tuesday (1-2 days after being WL-ed), some that same Friday and some just late last week?

My guess is they're going by alphabetical order.

I take that back.
They threw the applications in the air and whichever ones landed on the desk got the interview invites earlier. Those that landed out the window have yet to get a JS1. :p

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”