Penn Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rory19

Bronze

Re: Penn Waitlist 2013

Post by Rory19 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:40 pm

As much as I want this to happen, I need to sign my lease by next week. I may have to withdraw from the WLs if that happens...I really feel like this year's WL cycle will see a lot of action later on but I probably will be out of the picture by then.

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Thu May 23, 2013 6:40 am

Rory19 wrote:As much as I want this to happen, I need to sign my lease by next week. I may have to withdraw from the WLs if that happens...I really feel like this year's WL cycle will see a lot of action later on but I probably will be out of the picture by then.
I'm coming to the same point. In fact, I think we're ending up at the same place.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 pm

When I spoke with Dean Post, she did say class was full. Therefore, we'll have to wait for the HYS trickle down effect.

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Thu May 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Incase anyone wanted to know the deposit deadline I was given is 6/3. I'm assuming it's the same for the others accepted off the waitlist last week.

pammie0415

Bronze

Post by pammie0415 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Rory19 wrote:As much as I want this to happen, I need to sign my lease by next week. I may have to withdraw from the WLs if that happens...I really feel like this year's WL cycle will see a lot of action later on but I probably will be out of the picture by then.
You have to sign a lease this early? I'm international so I'm definitely no expert on this but I was under the impression that 1 month in advance would be okay? :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:58 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
You have to sign a lease this early? I'm international so I'm definitely no expert on this but I was under the impression that 1 month in advance would be okay? :?
I do if I want to hold the apartment...I can always choose to live elsewhere by they are running some short term promotions that I definitely want to take advantage of.

muhami

New

Post by muhami » Fri May 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Are you saying we can expect more WL offers after the 6/3 deposit deadline?
I'm holding on to the Penn WL until they kick me off!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri May 24, 2013 1:20 pm

muhami wrote:Are you saying we can expect more WL offers after the 6/3 deposit deadline?
I'm holding on to the Penn WL until they kick me off!
Me too! :twisted:

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri May 24, 2013 3:48 pm

I have something to share with you guys:

You may have notices that I posted "WL-->Accept" back on page one of this thread. Well, it turns out there's more to the story.

I got a call from Dean Post a few days after I replied in the affirmative to accept a spot on the waitlist, but before the actual deadline for responding to that email. She asked some typical YP questions (where have you been accepted, scholarships, etc.). I responded that I was most likely to attend UVA on a "significant scholarship" but would prefer to attend UPenn with some financial assitance. (Both of which are true, except I had a full ride at UVA and in order to prefer UPenn I would need a full ride.) Anyway, she said they would love to have me join them at UPenn and would look at what they could do with the money situation. Sounds like an acceptance, right? I thought so.

She called again later in the day after having reviewed my need-based application (I had already submitted FAFSA/Need Access to every school left that I would go to) and cited roughly $20k/yr in need-based aid. She then asked what my UVA offer was, and since she'd already said they'd like me to attend I figured there wasn't much harm in telling her it was a full ride. (I was going to have to divulge this anyway to inkle out a full ride from UPenn). Dean Post didn't like hearing that, and started trying to trow out estimates of merit aid around $10k/yr, but nothing definite. I didn't respond, I just said that I would need time to think about any specific offer.

She said it probably wouldn't be a full ride and asked if they should even both putting an offer together if it wouldn't be comparable to UVA. I said I would obviously fully consider whatever offer was brought to the table, but that in all honesty if UPenn couldn't even present something comparable to UVA's offer it may not be worth it. (For anyone wondering why I said this: I would have had to say it later in an email anyway if I didn't say it now; no point in delaying the inevitable conversation.) Dead Post said they would work on putting something together and get back to me.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I've heard nothing at all. Zip. Suddenly I get an email that was clearly sent to everyone on the waitlist confirming continued waitlist status. Strange, since I was under the impression that I was admitted. Now Dean Post called me from the standard admissions line and her email is listed as the JD Admissions email, so I didn't have a way to get directly in contact with her. I sent an email to the admissions office to Dean Post asking if there had been any update since our conversation in April. I got the standard useless reply, "Thank you for your email and continued interest in Penn Law. The Admissions Committee began reviewing all candidates on the waitlist and will continue to do so throughout the summer months."

TL;DR: UPenn admitted me on the phone, then threw me back on the waitlist when they realized they couldn't match my scholarship.

It's fine for me since I wouldn't have attended on anything less than a full ride, but this might be useful information for YP waitlisters in the future.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Fri May 24, 2013 3:51 pm

TripTrip wrote:I have something to share with you guys:

You may have notices that I posted "WL-->Accept" back on page one of this thread. Well, it turns out there's more to the story.

I got a call from Dean Post a few days after I replied in the affirmative to accept a spot on the waitlist, but before the actual deadline for responding to that email. She asked some typical YP questions (where have you been accepted, scholarships, etc.). I responded that I was most likely to attend UVA on a "significant scholarship" but would prefer to attend UPenn with some financial assitance. (Both of which are true, except I had a full ride at UVA and in order to prefer UPenn I would need a full ride.) Anyway, she said they would love to have me join them at UPenn and would look at what they could do with the money situation. Sounds like an acceptance, right? I thought so.

She called again later in the day after having reviewed my need-based application (I had already submitted FAFSA/Need Access to every school left that I would go to) and cited roughly $20k/yr in need-based aid. She then asked what my UVA offer was, and since she'd already said they'd like me to attend I figured there wasn't much harm in telling her it was a full ride. (I was going to have to divulge this anyway to inkle out a full ride from UPenn). Dean Post didn't like hearing that, and started trying to trow out estimates of merit aid around $10k/yr, but nothing definite. I didn't respond, I just said that I would need time to think about any specific offer.

She said it probably wouldn't be a full ride and asked if they should even both putting an offer together if it wouldn't be comparable to UVA. I said I would obviously fully consider whatever offer was brought to the table, but that in all honesty if UPenn couldn't even present something comparable to UVA's offer it may not be worth it. (For anyone wondering why I said this: I would have had to say it later in an email anyway if I didn't say it now; no point in delaying the inevitable conversation.) Dead Post said they would work on putting something together and get back to me.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I've heard nothing at all. Zip. Suddenly I get an email that was clearly sent to everyone on the waitlist confirming continued waitlist status. Strange, since I was under the impression that I was admitted. Now Dean Post called me from the standard admissions line and her email is listed as the JD Admissions email, so I didn't have a way to get directly in contact with her. I sent an email to the admissions office to Dean Post asking if there had been any update since our conversation in April. I got the standard useless reply, "Thank you for your email and continued interest in Penn Law. The Admissions Committee began reviewing all candidates on the waitlist and will continue to do so throughout the summer months."

TL;DR: UPenn admitted me on the phone, then threw me back on the waitlist when they realized they couldn't match my scholarship.

It's fine for me since I wouldn't have attended on anything less than a full ride, but this might be useful information for YP waitlisters in the future.
Sounds like a soft acceptance conditional upon them being able to give you a substantial scholarship offer. Hard to fault them for what they did...if you were truly serious about attending they probably would have expected you to contact them instead of letting weeks of silence go by.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Fri May 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Sorry about that, man -- best of luck at UVA! Full scholarship is fantastic.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri May 24, 2013 3:53 pm

FlowBro wrote:Sounds like a soft acceptance conditional upon them being able to give you a substantial scholarship offer. Hard to fault them for what they did...if you were truly serious about attending they probably would have expected you to contact them instead of letting weeks of silence go by.
I don't fault Dean Post, I get why she did it. I just wasn't expecting it to turn out quite like that.

Hoping to reduce the surprises for future applicants.

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Fri May 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Although this is a pretty shitty situation it doesn't really sound like you were offered admission. They were pretty clear when I was admitted, (congrats, ect., status update change and emailed accepted letter twenty minutes later). During the feeler conversation they really wanted to make sure that Penn was my first choice and I would attend if admitted. The tone of the first interest call was also very positive and the Dean I spoke to even said that Penn was a great fit for me and I would likely be very happy there. The second call I received was an acceptance call.

I think if I was hesitant I wouldn't have been offered admission.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri May 24, 2013 4:10 pm

happyshapy wrote:Although this is a pretty shitty situation it doesn't really sound like you were offered admission. They were pretty clear when I was admitted, (congrats, ect., status update change and emailed accepted letter twenty minutes later). During the feeler conversation they really wanted to make sure that Penn was my first choice and I would attend if admitted. The tone of the first interest call was also very positive and the Dean I spoke to even said that Penn was a great fit for me and I would likely be very happy there. The second call I received was an acceptance call.

Oh for sure. That was kind of my point; obviously I would have been officially offered admission if I had been more enthusiastic about attending without any scholarship. But it's not as though UPenn would expect to get a 175/4.0 for free, even off the waitlist. I get the reduced scholarship as they try to do as much as possible with as little money as possible.

As to the "we would love to have you join us" not being "you're admitted," I think it's borderline and I think it was meant to be borderline. I get the feeler status of it, but at least Harvard has the decency to just ask what your plans are and what your decision making process would be "if you were admitted" instead of UPenn's phrasing, which comes much closer to (or crosses) the proverbial line in the sand.

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Fri May 24, 2013 4:16 pm

TripTrip wrote:
happyshapy wrote:Although this is a pretty shitty situation it doesn't really sound like you were offered admission. They were pretty clear when I was admitted, (congrats, ect., status update change and emailed accepted letter twenty minutes later). During the feeler conversation they really wanted to make sure that Penn was my first choice and I would attend if admitted. The tone of the first interest call was also very positive and the Dean I spoke to even said that Penn was a great fit for me and I would likely be very happy there. The second call I received was an acceptance call.

Oh for sure. That was kind of my point; obviously I would have been officially offered admission if I had been more enthusiastic about attending without any scholarship. But it's not as though UPenn would expect to get a 175/4.0 for free, even off the waitlist. I get the reduced scholarship as they try to do as much as possible with as little money as possible.

As to the "we would love to have you join us" not being "you're admitted," I think it's borderline and I think it was meant to be borderline. I get the feeler status of it, but at least Harvard has the decency to just ask what your plans are and what your decision making process would be "if you were admitted" instead of UPenn's phrasing, which comes much closer to (or crosses) the proverbial line in the sand.
That is true. But Harvard doesn't really have the same issues as Penn with loosing their deposited students to other schools. Congrats on that acceptance by the way.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Fri May 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Lots of people getting off the Harvard WL.

Hopefully this means some action for Penn

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 am

senorhosh wrote:Lots of people getting off the Harvard WL.

Hopefully this means some action for Penn
Just found this thread. Holding out hope but not expecting much since I guess they had movement a couple weeks ago??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am

for people got accepted off the waitlist, how did financial aid go? Any possibility for merit award? thanks!

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Wed May 29, 2013 8:01 am

I withdrew from the WL to avoid paying a second 1200 deposit at Georgetown. Good luck!

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:17 am

CourCour wrote:I withdrew from the WL to avoid paying a second 1200 deposit at Georgetown. Good luck!
Did you mean you withdrew from Georgetown? or you are going to Georgetown so, you withdrew from the Penn WL?

CourCour

Bronze

Post by CourCour » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am

curious66 wrote:
CourCour wrote:I withdrew from the WL to avoid paying a second 1200 deposit at Georgetown. Good luck!
Did you mean you withdrew from Georgetown? or you are going to Georgetown so, you withdrew from the Penn WL?
I withdrew from the Penn WL and am attending Georgetown. I work in government/politics and while Penn had some definite pluses Georgetown is a better fit for me (esp. considering the accepted me and Penn didn't)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:19 pm

CourCour wrote:
curious66 wrote:
I withdrew from the Penn WL and am attending Georgetown. I work in government/politics and while Penn had some definite pluses Georgetown is a better fit for me (esp. considering the accepted me and Penn didn't)
Got it.. congrats!!

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:32 pm

I withdrew my spot just for you guys. Good luck!

JuniperCreekEsq

Bronze

Post by JuniperCreekEsq » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Not sure if this has already been posted, so I thought I'd let everyone know that I spoke with an Admissions Committee member who confirmed that the class is full/completely deposited.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:55 pm

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:Not sure if this has already been posted, so I thought I'd let everyone know that I spoke with an Admissions Committee member who confirmed that the class is full/completely deposited.
oh well RIP

Do you figure that accounts for people double-deposited or withdrawing?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”