Is Columbia worth sticker?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Is Columbia a good idea @ sticker?

Columbia is worth sticker.
65%
Not worth it.
35%

Total votes: 93

swordking90

Is Columbia worth sticker?

Postby swordking90 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi all,

I've seen many people unequivocally say HYS is worth sticker. Just wondering - what about Columbia? Please vote!!!

Context: I want to work long-term public interest in the Northeast, primarily, Boston, DC, and NYC, in that order of preference, but is OK with working in NYC in BigLaw for a couple/few years to gain experience. No family assistance on $. Thanks for voting!

quakeroats

Re: Is Columbia worth sticker?

Postby quakeroats » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:06 pm

swordking90 wrote:Hi all,

I've seen many people unequivocally say HYS is worth sticker. Just wondering - what about Columbia? Please vote!!!

Context: I want to work long-term public interest in the Northeast, primarily, Boston, DC, and NYC, in that order of preference, but is OK with working in NYC in BigLaw for a couple/few years to gain experience. No family assistance on $. Thanks for voting!

See the thread about IBR (income-based repayment): viewtopic.php?f=23&t=205556

The short answer is that it doesn't matter how much you borrow anymore (and that's particularly true if you're going to work in PI).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Yes.

swordking90

Postby swordking90 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Also I realize I posted this is in the wrong forum; I put a similar thread up in the "Choosing a Law School" forum. Apologies for the mistake!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm

It's a matter of opportunity cost. Columbia is probably worth sticker if that's you're only option, but I'd take a significant scholarship elsewhere over Columbia at sticker.

nefftron

Postby nefftron » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Do you really want to be locked into either biglaw or legal PI with no plausible option of every being able to leave without a lethal debt load over your head?

Take the money, I say.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:36 pm

The only reason I say no to Columbia and NYU and Yes to most others (T7) is because the COL in NYC is to high. I would much rather do to Chicago or Penn and borrow 40k less (I know the school's website doesnt show this kind of disparity, but I think Columbia and NYU low ball their numbers)

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:44 pm

nefftron wrote:Take the money

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:The only reason I say no to Columbia and NYU and Yes to most others (T7) is because the COL in NYC is to high. I would much rather do to Chicago or Penn and borrow 40k less (I know the school's website doesnt show this kind of disparity, but I think Columbia and NYU low ball their numbers)

Don't know about NYU, but Columbia doesn't.

swordking90

Postby swordking90 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:The only reason I say no to Columbia and NYU and Yes to most others (T7) is because the COL in NYC is to high. I would much rather do to Chicago or Penn and borrow 40k less (I know the school's website doesnt show this kind of disparity, but I think Columbia and NYU low ball their numbers)

Don't know about NYU, but Columbia doesn't.

Looking at the CoA posted on NYU and Columbia's websites, it seems NYU doesn't either (the CoA is $2000 cheaper at NYU than Columbia, corresponding with the difference in tuition).

Postby 005618502 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Oh I see, the (about) $80,000 is for 9 months, not 12, for living expenses. Also, I think $1,200 a month for rent and utilities is a low ball from what I have heard. maybe not, I dont know but when I was looking for 1 bedrooms for me and my Fiance when I was going through the admissions process, under $1,500 was not realistic (not including utilities)

GoldenGriffin

Postby GoldenGriffin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I would assume the figure they give you is to commute from Brooklyn or far queens.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:17 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Oh I see, the (about) $80,000 is for 9 months, not 12, for living expenses. Also, I think $1,200 a month for rent and utilities is a low ball from what I have heard. maybe not, I dont know but when I was looking for 1 bedrooms for me and my Fiance when I was going through the admissions process, under $1,500 was not realistic (not including utilities)

Columbia provides subsidized housing.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:49 pm

$1200 per month is a ridiculously low figure for NYU. If you want to live less than 45 minutes from campus, you're looking at $1700 to $2000.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:33 am

have you guys actually looked in to the housing options at these schools? it seems like a lot of cynical TLS'ers are just regurgitating the "NYC is overpriced" language based on rudimentary CPI's. Most of NYU's 1Ls live in dorm-style college apartments that are heavily subsided for the neighborhood; they then move away for their 2L/3L a little farther off campus since the dorms are very small. Columbia provides full 3 years housing on campus between 110th and 119thish for the board price they provide, so no its not comparable to typical NYC rents. some are larger than others; the studio's are particular small apparently.

I don't think rent costs end up being so different between NYC, Chicago, LA, or San Francisco. Obviously college towns like ann arbor and durham would be substantially cheaper. Transportation, food, alcohol, ect. other costs will trend a little higher in NYC tho

Postby 005618502 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 am

jbagelboy wrote:have you guys actually looked in to the housing options at these schools? it seems like a lot of cynical TLS'ers are just regurgitating the "NYC is overpriced" language based on rudimentary CPI's. Most of NYU's 1Ls live in dorm-style college apartments that are heavily subsided for the neighborhood; they then move away for their 2L/3L a little farther off campus since the dorms are very small. Columbia provides full 3 years housing on campus between 110th and 119thish for the board price they provide, so no its not comparable to typical NYC rents. some are larger than others; the studio's are particular small apparently.

I don't think rent costs end up being so different between NYC, Chicago, LA, or San Francisco. Obviously college towns like ann arbor and durham would be substantially cheaper. Transportation, food, alcohol, ect. other costs will trend a little higher in NYC tho

Lol trend higher? Sounds like you haven't lived in NYC.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:36 am

Can one just Amazon Prime all the goods at a fraction of the cost to their nyc doorstep?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:have you guys actually looked in to the housing options at these schools? it seems like a lot of cynical TLS'ers are just regurgitating the "NYC is overpriced" language based on rudimentary CPI's. Most of NYU's 1Ls live in dorm-style college apartments that are heavily subsided for the neighborhood; they then move away for their 2L/3L a little farther off campus since the dorms are very small. Columbia provides full 3 years housing on campus between 110th and 119thish for the board price they provide, so no its not comparable to typical NYC rents. some are larger than others; the studio's are particular small apparently.

Lol trend higher? Sounds like you haven't lived in NYC.

LOL @ transportation trending higher. Sounds like you've never owned a car.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:06 pm

I lived in NYC during undergrad, and my wife went to NYU. NYC's rent is more expensive than LA and significantly more than Chicago. San Francisco is probably about the same.

If you're willing to share an apartment, there are a couple options at NYU for about $1400 per month. Most of what they offer is between $1700-$2000, which is actually cheap for the area. However, that is only 9 months out of your first year. The rest of the time, you're going to be looking at $1700-$2000 if you want to live reasonably close to campus. If you want to pay $1200 for a legit 1 bedroom, you're going to have to live on Staten Island or something.

Columbia does seem to have a good on-campus housing program. Also, Morning Heights/Harlem are much cheaper neighborhoods.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”