Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby table3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 pm

JXander wrote:
table3 wrote:Anyone else go in for an interview?

Yeeep. I would venture to guess that most WLs did.

Any idea if the interview/additional essay was enough to push anyone across the goal line?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:33 pm

table3 wrote:
JXander wrote:
table3 wrote:Anyone else go in for an interview?

Yeeep. I would venture to guess that most WLs did.

Any idea if the interview/additional essay was enough to push anyone across the goal line?

From what I have researched, only one person interviewed that was subsequently accepted.

My research is limited to TLS and LSN, however.

table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby table3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm

JXander wrote:
table3 wrote:
JXander wrote:
table3 wrote:Anyone else go in for an interview?

Yeeep. I would venture to guess that most WLs did.

Any idea if the interview/additional essay was enough to push anyone across the goal line?

From what I have researched, only one person interviewed that was subsequently accepted.

My research is limited to TLS and LSN, however.


Props to that person. On the flip side, do you know if anyone got dinged post-interview/additional essay?

Ktr007
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby Ktr007 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:08 pm

I was never offered at interview and was waitlisted. However, I would be completely open to an interview.

User avatar
KanyeShrug
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby KanyeShrug » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:09 pm

^^^ same

bethanyrose09
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby bethanyrose09 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:57 pm

.
Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndel21
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby ndel21 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:02 pm

300-400 ppl!!! wow...

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby rabbitrun » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:55 pm

.
Last edited by rabbitrun on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby table3 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:34 pm

bethanyrose09 wrote:Just got off the phone with someone that works in UT admissions. They said usually the wait list is 300-400 students. Which is ridiculous.


So, 300-400 students on the waitlist for a school that matriculates 300-400 students per year. Does that comport with its peer schools?

bethanyrose09 wrote:I didn't know we could go in for interviews. Is this the same process as asking for a tour/ class room visit? Is UT still conducting interviews?

Thanks!


If I understand correctly, 75ish applicants were asked to interview throughout February. They also recommended submitting an essay explaining why you wanted to attend Texas. Not sure if they're still conducting interviews, but I don't think it would hurt to ask.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:56 pm

bethanyrose09 wrote:They said usually the wait list is 300-400 students. Which is ridiculous.

WAT.

I didn't know we could go in for interviews. Is this the same process as asking for a tour/ class room visit? Is UT still conducting interviews?

Thanks!

These were invitation-only interviews. I am not sure what the procedure is for requested interviews. You might consider asking your friend in admissions that question. :)

bethanyrose09
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby bethanyrose09 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 am

.
Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:52 am

bethanyrose09 wrote:Do note that the person I spoke to at UT was just a random lady that worked in admissions. She said that is an estimate of how many students that are usually waitlisted. She didn't have exact numbers to give me for this years class, however.

Even if they do dip into the WL this year, I'm expecting the WL to be slightly larger than previous years simply because UT has to prepare for the worst-- the worst being that most of their accepted students decide not to attend law school or attend a different school.

Seems like a reasonable prediction. I also expect their WL to be larger this year because with the drop in apps, they will need to protect their yield; I suggest that this is why so many other top 20 schools are WLing like crazy.

User avatar
WonkaTots
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby WonkaTots » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Checking in. Waitlisted last week sans interview. My personal cut-off date is Aug. 1. Being desperate sucks.

bethanyrose09
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby bethanyrose09 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:35 pm

.
Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gatorh8tr
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby gatorh8tr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:42 pm

.
Last edited by gatorh8tr on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm

LSN available via PM request.

Ktr007
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby Ktr007 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:26 pm

I will only give my stats if I am pied asking for them. No sense making me particularly easy to find in real life.

User avatar
rachelzane
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby rachelzane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:49 am

Just withdrew! Good luck everyone! I hope they make it as far through the WL as last year.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 am

rachelzane wrote:Just withdrew! Good luck everyone! I hope they make it as far through the WL as last year.

Thank you for letting us know.

table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby table3 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:32 pm

So, the received wisdom seems to be that everyone who stayed on the waitlist last year was offered a spot - and then some. But has anyone ever discerned whether or not this was the case for both Texas residents and out-of-state residents?

bethanyrose09
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby bethanyrose09 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 pm

.
Last edited by bethanyrose09 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rabbitrun
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:44 pm

bethanyrose09 wrote:
table3 wrote:So, the received wisdom seems to be that everyone who stayed on the waitlist last year was offered a spot - and then some. But has anyone ever discerned whether or not this was the case for both Texas residents and out-of-state residents?


Where did you hear that from? Is that what ppl have told you from last yrs class or is that just what you gathered from law school forums and LSN?

Fingers crossed that they really dig into their WL.


It sounded like lots of people were offered off the WL last year based on the UT c/o 2015 group or whatever. One was admitted after being dinged... but that doesn't mean that they took everyone off the WL.

table3
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby table3 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:03 am

rabbitrun wrote:
bethanyrose09 wrote:
table3 wrote:So, the received wisdom seems to be that everyone who stayed on the waitlist last year was offered a spot - and then some. But has anyone ever discerned whether or not this was the case for both Texas residents and out-of-state residents?


Where did you hear that from? Is that what ppl have told you from last yrs class or is that just what you gathered from law school forums and LSN?

Fingers crossed that they really dig into their WL.


It sounded like lots of people were offered off the WL last year based on the UT c/o 2015 group or whatever. One was admitted after being dinged... but that doesn't mean that they took everyone off the WL.


Yeah, this.

Last cycle, a person on TLS said s/he got in after being dinged. I've also heard that this happened through word of mouth, completely independent of TLS (i.e., a friend-of-a-friend sort of thing). I believe this person is a Texas resident, but I can't say so with 100% confidence. I don't know if the TLS person and the word-of-mouth-person are, in fact, the same person.

The conclusion that the entire waitlist was exhausted might be nothing more than an assumption based on the fact that they admitted someone they had originally denied. So, is that a warranted assumption? I'm not sure that it is. When you consider that UT's 1L class must be at least 65% Texas residents, it seems feasible that a scenario could arise in which they're passing up out-of-staters on the waitlist but offering admission to Texans they had originally denied in order to meet this requirement.

I hasten to add that this is just conjecture.

User avatar
WonkaTots
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby WonkaTots » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:42 pm

The contradicting speculations are maddening.

I'm keeping mum on my stats. (Hint: They weren't stellar.) I'll just say I'm in-state.

Anyone bother to take a tour/sit in on a class since being waitlisted?

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Waitlisted at TEXAS c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:51 pm

WonkaTots wrote:Anyone bother to take a tour/sit in on a class since being waitlisted?

Yes, though you do not get to interact with admissions much. I would not recommend it if you are only doing so for the sake of kissing up to their staff.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”