Held at Northwestern 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TorturedApplicant

New

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Post by TorturedApplicant » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 am

LRGhost wrote:It's not about not wanting to transfer or not gunning for it; nobody cares about that and nobody would fault someone for wanting that if they do. But expecting to transfer, planning to transfer, and discussing it when you're held or reserved or WL'ed at the school you're talking about transferring from is crass. It's not the thread for it and it is hardly the time for it. It shows a lack of understanding about what it takes to transfer but more importantly, it demonstrates a lack of class and respect.
I think the person who brought up transferring was talking about transferring INTO NU, not out of it.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:06 am

TorturedApplicant wrote:
LRGhost wrote:It's not about not wanting to transfer or not gunning for it; nobody cares about that and nobody would fault someone for wanting that if they do. But expecting to transfer, planning to transfer, and discussing it when you're held or reserved or WL'ed at the school you're talking about transferring from is crass. It's not the thread for it and it is hardly the time for it. It shows a lack of understanding about what it takes to transfer but more importantly, it demonstrates a lack of class and respect.
I think the person who brought up transferring was talking about transferring INTO NU, not out of it.
Ah, that makes it marginally better but it still uncouth to discuss it in such a blasé fashion.

DukeofCambridge

New

Post by DukeofCambridge » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Hmmm, I would think only that it's a bit presumptuous to say oh, I'll go to X and transfer to Y when the person hasn't even gotten in to X yet, but .... given the self-aggrandizement that occurs regularly amongst law students(ie, we all think we're hot **it), it's not that bad, IMHO.

Also, people can always transfer laterally in the rankings or even down, so I don't put "I'll transfer from X to Y" statements in the same category as "I'm going to be nominated to SCOTUS 10 years after graduating."

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:50 pm

DukeofCambridge wrote:

Hmmm, I would think only that it's a bit presumptuous to say oh, I'll go to X and transfer to Y when the person hasn't even gotten in to X yet, but .... given the self-aggrandizement that occurs regularly amongst law students(ie, we all think we're hot **it), it's not that bad, IMHO.

Also, people can always transfer laterally in the rankings or even down, so I don't put "I'll transfer from X to Y" statements in the same category as "I'm going to be nominated to SCOTUS 10 years after graduating."
It's classless and that's really all there is to it. GO where you can see yourself for three years. The same way you wouldn't go to BIGSTATEU and be like, "Yeah, I'll probably be in the top 10% and get BigLaw." It's rude.

DukeofCambridge

New

Post by DukeofCambridge » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:34 pm

LRGhost wrote:
DukeofCambridge wrote:
LRGhost wrote: It's classless and that's really all there is to it. GO where you can see yourself for three years. The same way you wouldn't go to BIGSTATEU and be like, "Yeah, I'll probably be in the top 10% and get BigLaw." It's rude.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.(also, for me, it's where you'll be happy for 1 year or 2 years, just because I'm eligible for different programs at different schools).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pammie0415

Bronze

Post by pammie0415 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:27 pm

As the person who brought it up. Let's put a rest to this topic shall we?

Yes, I was asking about transferring INTO NU. Being on this thread, obviously it's about getting into our dream school NU. And I know it is a sensitive topic to some ppl (apparently more so than I realized). BUT I know it's a big no no going into law school thinking about transferring. And that's not what I'm implying. I was asking just because I wanted to know if anyone else has entertained the idea. Being on held and w/l really makes one's situation look quite bleak sometimes.

So let's move on to something else now. Like the possibility of movement next week! 8)

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:44 pm

pammie0415 wrote:As the person who brought it up. Let's put a rest to this topic shall we?

Yes, I was asking about transferring INTO NU. Being on this thread, obviously it's about getting into our dream school NU. And I know it is a sensitive topic to some ppl (apparently more so than I realized). BUT I know it's a big no no going into law school thinking about transferring. And that's not what I'm implying. I was asking just because I wanted to know if anyone else has entertained the idea. Being on held and w/l really makes one's situation look quite bleak sometimes.

So let's move on to something else now. Like the possibility of movement next week! 8)
Hoping for movement!

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:19 pm

LRGhost wrote:
pammie0415 wrote:
Hoping for movement!
+1

Everyone keep those fingers crossed!

DukeofCambridge

New

Post by DukeofCambridge » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Same here. fingers crossed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Does NU give any $$$ off the hold/ WL? How many do they take off the list?

pammie0415

Bronze

Post by pammie0415 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:26 pm

I don't think NU offers $$ off the hold list or w/l. At least that's the consensus over on the main thread. But it could be different every year but I wouldn't have high hopes.

Magnalum

New

Post by Magnalum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Last edited by Magnalum on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pammie0415

Bronze

Post by pammie0415 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Magnalum wrote:So, the deadline for accepting scholarships passed, think we will get some answers soon?
I'm hoping we will! Fingers crossed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
Magnalum wrote:So, the deadline for accepting scholarships passed, think we will get some answers soon?
I'm hoping we will! Fingers crossed.

Fabulist

New

Post by Fabulist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I know at least some people get $ off the hold/waitlist. You're actually in a stronger negotiating position than somebody who gets straight admitted at sticker.

You're getting in because other people (who presumably merited a scholarship because they are getting in somewhere better). You've presumably got another offer as leverage, person who withdrew almost certainly had a scholarship, and Northwestern is trying to get their class filled. As long as you're willing to negotiate, and are a reasonable person, you're actually in a good spot (assuming you get picked up off the wait list).

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Fabulist wrote:I know at least some people get $ off the hold/waitlist. You're actually in a stronger negotiating position than somebody who gets straight admitted at sticker.

You're getting in because other people (who presumably merited a scholarship because they are getting in somewhere better). You've presumably got another offer as leverage, person who withdrew almost certainly had a scholarship, and Northwestern is trying to get their class filled. As long as you're willing to negotiate, and are a reasonable person, you're actually in a good spot (assuming you get picked up off the wait list).
Yeah, earlier this cycle I spoke with some current 1Ls who said that people do get $ off the waitlist. The big question, I suppose, is how often and how much.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:27 am

Jaqen wrote:
Fabulist wrote:I know at least some people get $ off the hold/waitlist. You're actually in a stronger negotiating position than somebody who gets straight admitted at sticker.

Yeah, earlier this cycle I spoke with some current 1Ls who said that people do get $ off the waitlist. The big question, I suppose, is how often and how much.
If only there were some sort of website that tracked waitlists, admits, denials, and scholarships.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:39 am

So looking at LSN, it seems like people on hold got accepted around end of April or beginning of May. We probably won't hear until next Friday at the earliest.

I'm not sure if LSN under represents "held ->accept" people but there are only about 3-4 of them each year, while the rest got WLed.

That's slightly discouraging :0

Someone cheer me up

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:17 am

TripTrip wrote:
Jaqen wrote:

If only there were some sort of website that tracked waitlists, admits, denials, and scholarships.
Right, but lots of people don't update their account late in the cycle.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 am

senorhosh wrote:So looking at LSN, it seems like people on hold got accepted around end of April or beginning of May. We probably won't hear until next Friday at the earliest.

I'm not sure if LSN under represents "held ->accept" people but there are only about 3-4 of them each year, while the rest got WLed.

Someone cheer me up
I was a hold==>accepted admit. Didn't get in till April 26th. Still some hope

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:15 am

Flips88 wrote:
senorhosh wrote:So looking at LSN, it seems like people on hold got accepted around end of April or beginning of May. We probably won't hear until next Friday at the earliest.

Someone cheer me up
Thank you for this. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:56 am

TorturedApplicant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Someone cheer me up
Thank you for this. Do you mind sharing your stats?
165/4.0. Got held in January or so. Came up to interview in March, wrote an LOCI, and the hold essays.

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am

DukeofCambridge wrote:
pammie0415 wrote:I certainly hope that they will consider us along with the 12% that haven't received a decision yet in the next few weeks. Also looks like they're dealing out a lot of straight waitlists to the 12%. <-- according to all the people on TLS and LSN who got their decisions recently..
Hi Pammie,

Could you provide a link to that information? I applied to the 2 year JD in January and haven't yet heard anything.

Best,

DoC
I noticed that on the admissions twitter feed. Johann ‏@tweetsbyjohann 22 Mar: AJD waitlist update: the class is now full. we will only use the waitlist if there is attrition.

https://twitter.com/nulawadmissions

DukeofCambridge

New

Post by DukeofCambridge » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:41 pm

I had applied to the 2 year JD program for internationals ...

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:26 pm

DukeofCambridge wrote:I had applied to the 2 year JD program for internationals ...
Oh ok. AJD is two years too so I was confused. Still, I think the 12% comes from that twitter account: Johann ‏@tweetsbyjohann 8 Apr
As of right now, decisions have been rendered on 88% of complete JD applications.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”