Held at Northwestern 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
pammie0415
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby pammie0415 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 pm

I went through last year's thread and I saw more than 3 or 4 held ---> admits. The number still isn't large, it was like around 6 towards the end of April. But then again, TLS is a very limited sample so I think the number of held admits might be a little higher.. At least I hope (and want to believe) it's higher lol.

Might be another week or two of waiting for us. Sigh.

User avatar
emzizzle
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby emzizzle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Checking in. So tired of waiting :x

whatsup2b
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby whatsup2b » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 pm

held > wait list or wait list > held?

User avatar
TorturedApplicant
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby TorturedApplicant » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:53 am

There are only 110 members in the Official Northwestern Law Class of 2016 fb group. I hope this is a god sign.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby Jaqen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm

whatsup2b wrote:held > wait list or wait list > held?


The former.

TorturedApplicant wrote:There are only 110 members in the Official Northwestern Law Class of 2016 fb group. I hope this is a god sign.


That's one way to look at it.

User avatar
pammie0415
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby pammie0415 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:26 pm

Jaqen wrote:
TorturedApplicant wrote:There are only 110 members in the Official Northwestern Law Class of 2016 fb group. I hope this is a god sign.


That's one way to look at it.


+1

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 am

Northwestern's been real weak with this 'hold' thing. In the initial letter it said they'd be reviewing our apps again in february. Then they said March. It's deposit time now and we've still not heard something.

User avatar
TorturedApplicant
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby TorturedApplicant » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 am

pammie0415 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:
TorturedApplicant wrote:There are only 110 members in the Official Northwestern Law Class of 2016 fb group. I hope this is a god sign.


That's one way to look at it.


+1


you guys know what i mean ;)

suzige
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby suzige » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 am

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Northwestern's been real weak with this 'hold' thing. In the initial letter it said they'd be reviewing our apps again in february. Then they said March. It's deposit time now and we've still not heard something.


Much agreed. It's a waitlist at this point.

User avatar
TorturedApplicant
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby TorturedApplicant » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:47 am

suzige wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Northwestern's been real weak with this 'hold' thing. In the initial letter it said they'd be reviewing our apps again in february. Then they said March. It's deposit time now and we've still not heard something.


Much agreed. It's a waitlist at this point.


Last year's feed shows some acceptances off the hold list on may 3.

User avatar
TorturedApplicant
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby TorturedApplicant » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 am

Much agreed. It's a waitlist at this point.[/quote]

Last year's feed shows some acceptances off the hold list on may 3.[/quote]

Just counted 10 TLS hold -> admit who received word via email on 5/3/12. DON'T LOSE HOPE!

suzige
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby suzige » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 pm

It's hard to be hopeful when you've been waiting for almost 5 months to get a "real" decision on your application. I'm amazed they were able to crank out the last of the JD decisions so fast. In 9 days or so they pumped out some 20% of their pool's completed apps. Let's pray they'll do the same with us when they re-review.

Purplebook
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby Purplebook » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:19 am

suzige wrote:It's hard to be hopeful when you've been waiting for almost 5 months to get a "real" decision on your application. I'm amazed they were able to crank out the last of the JD decisions so fast. In 9 days or so they pumped out some 20% of their pool's completed apps. Let's pray they'll do the same with us when they re-review.



Let's also pray that they'll give financial aid decisions at the same time as admissions decisions to those of us who are accepted off hold. I think the majority of us have to make some sort of decision by May 1, and I'd rather not have to double deposit.

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby VeeD101 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:39 am

Purplebook wrote:
suzige wrote:It's hard to be hopeful when you've been waiting for almost 5 months to get a "real" decision on your application. I'm amazed they were able to crank out the last of the JD decisions so fast. In 9 days or so they pumped out some 20% of their pool's completed apps. Let's pray they'll do the same with us when they re-review.



Let's also pray that they'll give financial aid decisions at the same time as admissions decisions to those of us who are accepted off hold. I think the majority of us have to make some sort of decision by May 1, and I'd rather not have to double deposit.


Agreed.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 am

FWIW I got my Hold decision in the first week of May last cycle
(Hold to waitlist)

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby senorhosh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 am

Based on LSN, I wouldn't hold my breath until this Friday or next week. April 26-27 and May 3 seems like the common date for the past 2 years.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:17 pm

TripTrip wrote:
pammie0415 wrote:Anyone thinking of transferring after their first year if none of their dream schools work out?

...you're just straight up planning to transfer? Why do you think you'll have a better shot after you're already a 1L at another school?


Statistically people have better shots transferring as 2L's if one looks at #applied/#admitted. While the average person who applies for transfer is probably more qualified than the average 1L applicant (because they usually have good 1L grades), if you look at Boalt, Michigan, or Columbia the numbers prove that transferring is statistically easier.

Now I don't think it is unethical to start at a law school and want to transfer to another from the beginning. The problem with sitting out a cycle is the time value of money. If you retire at age x, you will sacrifice one year of work experience. The other problem is that there is a positive correlation in law between number of years worked and salary, so the annual cash flow that you will give up by sitting out a cycle might be the most money you would make during any year of your career. Waiting to start law school will also hurt your 401k as the riskiest investments (also most lucrative) are made on the behalf of people who are furthest away from retirement. These folks tend to own equities, while when one gets closer to retirement one owns more annuities and low yield bonds.

I think that it would be prudent if earnings maximization is your goal to attend a Vanderbilt/Georgetown at age 22 rather than a HYS at age 27. Those are my 2 cents; feel free to disagree.

2013applicant
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby 2013applicant » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

tagged.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:29 pm

I cant think of why you'd even consider transferring before you get your first semester's grades back. Also, JDMonkey, saying it's statistically easier to get into those schools as transfers is false and failing to really grasp statistics. Only people at the top end of their class even apply to transfer, something very statistically hard to do.

Also, when you're considering "oh i'll just transfer after 1L" keep in mind that even if you DO finish at the top the class in 1L, you're still gonna be sacrificing being the cream of the crop in terms of job prospects + a scholarship that you leverage with the threat of transferring in exchange forbeing among the bottom of the barrell at your new school (provided you transfer up).

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 pm

.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2013applicant
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby 2013applicant » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 pm

.
Last edited by 2013applicant on Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby jdmonkey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:54 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:I cant think of why you'd even consider transferring before you get your first semester's grades back. Also, JDMonkey, saying it's statistically easier to get into those schools as transfers is false and failing to really grasp statistics. Only people at the top end of their class even apply to transfer, something very statistically hard to do.

Also, when you're considering "oh i'll just transfer after 1L" keep in mind that even if you DO finish at the top the class in 1L, you're still gonna be sacrificing being the cream of the crop in terms of job prospects + a scholarship that you leverage with the threat of transferring in exchange forbeing among the bottom of the barrell at your new school (provided you transfer up).


But of the ppl that do apply for transfer at top schools the percent of admitted is higher. I do agree with your point that transfer applicants as a whole are more qualified than a typical 1L. But this might be a good strategy for a reverse splitter. Someone that gets good grades all the time but shits the bed when taking standardized tests. That might be their only shot at a top school.

onmyway
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby onmyway » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Hello All!!!

I stumbled across this website last week and just created this profile today. It's nice to read of fellow applicants journey into law school particularly those may be in the same situation as me. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I wanted to know...Is there an official "Hold-Held" notice given out by the Admissisions office? Or is it unspoken and implied? I only ask because I applied in December interviewed January and have noticed my date change twice. I've also been under review since Feb. yet still no decision. I called the office to inquire about my status and she simply thanked me for my patience and informed me that they would be trying to get decisions out within the next few weeks....

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 pm

onmyway wrote:Hello All!!!

I stumbled across this website last week and just created this profile today. It's nice to read of fellow applicants journey into law school particularly those may be in the same situation as me. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I wanted to know...Is there an official "Hold-Held" notice given out by the Admissisions office? Or is it unspoken and implied? I only ask because I applied in December interviewed January and have noticed my date change twice. I've also been under review since Feb. yet still no decision. I called the office to inquire about my status and she simply thanked me for my patience and informed me that they would be trying to get decisions out within the next few weeks....

There is an official hold notice, and you would know you got it if you did. Dean of Admissions Johann Lee (@tweetsbyjohann, learn to love his shadow) noted on April 17th that 4% of applicants are still waiting for decisions to be rendered, so you're probably still in that increasingly small pile. So keep the faith, you should be hearing back any day now. You might get in, waitlisted, or rejected, but I can promise you that you won't get held. :lol:

onmyway
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: Held at Northwestern 2016

Postby onmyway » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 pm

4%?!! Wow well thanks so much for this insight, I really appreciate it. I indeed did just looked up his tweets and I'm even more anxious now. They say no news is good news and since they've held on to my app this long I'll try to just stay positive. This has indeed been a gut wrenching cycle. When I applied to schools during undergrad years ago decisions both good and bad were 6 weeks max I've waited 15+ weeks for all of my schools this cycle. I thought it would have been quicker this time around given drop in applicants, etc but I guess schools just don't know what to do with me... I've only made it onto 1 waitlist at a top tier school the rest have not given any type of decision...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dodocogon, Long shot hero, mike90018, potatocowpower and 12 guests