Georgetown Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Belgorn

New

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Post by Belgorn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 am

Deleted
Last edited by Belgorn on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 am

j-select wrote:i also received an email, but with slightly less encouraging language than the "it would be helpful to know how intersted you are because we don't want to look like a jackass if we admit you."

on preferred, received an email saying, "As of today our deposits are quite strong, and we are not planning to make many offers prior to our May 1st deposit deadline. However, these things have a way of changing so it is always possible we will have room in the next few weeks."

anyone else on preferred received this? is the more encouraging email going out to those on the spwl?
I'm on SPWL and received the following:
Although as of today our deposits are quite strong, it is always possible that we may extend a few spaces in the class prior to our May 1st deposit deadline.
So I guess a bit more encouraging?

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am

kckool7 wrote:
CTT wrote:"At this stage, the Committee is
particularly interested in applicants who truly want to be at
Georgetown. We understand that circumstances may change over time.
While we are not asking you to commit, it would be extremely helpful
to know what you are thinking at this point and the likelihood of
enrolling if admitted."

Sorta whacking around the we'll admit you if you tell us you're coming bush, aren't they?
Are you on special preferred? That's different language than I got in my letter (preferred).
Yeah, special preferred.

So it sounds like:

special preferred got: "We're gonna admit those of you who appear most interested at some point in the next week."
preferred got: "We might admit some of you after the regular deposit deadline, but we're not making promises."
regular list got: "Things aren't looking so hot for you right now, but maybe we'll change our minds."

And they told everyone their deposits were strong, which means nothing. They're gonna ask you to pay sticker; they can't sound remotely desperate.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 pm

CTT wrote:they told everyone their deposits were strong, which means nothing. They're gonna ask you to pay sticker; they can't sound remotely desperate.
Yeah, I read through waitlist threads all the way back to 2010 and every year they said their deposits were strong.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:36 pm

CTT wrote:"At this stage, the Committee is
enrolling if admitted."

Sorta whacking around the we'll admit you if you tell us you're coming bush, aren't they?

wait a second... I was told I was on the preferred waitlist but this is the exact email I got. Should I be honest with them and say I can't imagine attending without atleast matching my scholarship from USC?

edit: maybe i misread my initial waitlist email, because this email definitely starts out saying i am in a special select group that they will go to first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 pm

CTT wrote:
So it sounds like:

special preferred got: "We're gonna admit those of you who appear most interested at some point in the next week."
preferred got: "We might admit some of you after the regular deposit deadline, but we're not making promises."
regular list got: "Things aren't looking so hot for you right now, but maybe we'll change our minds."

And they told everyone their deposits were strong, which means nothing. They're gonna ask you to pay sticker; they can't sound remotely desperate.

I'm regular WL and got the preferred language, based on what I've seen posted here so far. Maybe only two different versions?

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm regular waitlist and did not receive an e-mail at all....bad sign? I just checked my status checker for the first time in months and there was an update about 3 weeks ago, which is pretty random but likely meaningless.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:I'm regular waitlist and did not receive an e-mail at all....bad sign? I just checked my status checker for the first time in months and there was an update about 3 weeks ago, which is pretty random but likely meaningless.

Check your spam. Also as someone said, they may be going out in batches.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm

Is it possible that the different letters are getting sent out based on whether you've sent a post-WL LOCI or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eomea5

Bronze

Post by eomea5 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm

TorturedApplicant wrote:
CTT wrote:
So it sounds like:

I'm regular WL and got the preferred language, based on what I've seen posted here so far. Maybe only two different versions?
+1

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:25 pm

The difference I was mentioning was the by May 1 vs by May 15. Was there a version that was dateless?

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm on the "special preferred" waitlist, briefly replyed saying I was still interested last time they asked. Mine also reads like the "we will accept you if you say you love us" one. At this point though, is it really realistic to expect a full ride, given that's what it would take for me to go there now? (fwiw, I'm above median gpa and above 75th %ile LSAT) or should I just withdraw and be done with it. I know ppl say gulc doesn't yp, but this sure feels like it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:51 pm

untar614 wrote:I'm on the "special preferred" waitlist, briefly replyed saying I was still interested last time they asked. Mine also reads like the "we will accept you if you say you love us" one. At this point though, is it really realistic to expect a full ride, given that's what it would take for me to go there now? (fwiw, I'm above median gpa and above 75th %ile LSAT) or should I just withdraw and be done with it. I know ppl say gulc doesn't yp, but this sure feels like it.
Here is the full text:
EMAIL wrote:
Good morning from Georgetown. I'm writing to you today to give you
an update on the Georgetown waiting list. As you know, you are in a
special select group that we will be going to first if spaces open up
in the entering class.

Although as of today our deposits are quite strong, it is always
possible that we may extend a few spaces in the class prior to our
May 1st deposit deadline. At this stage, the Committee is
enrolling if admitted.

Please respond to Alison Spada, Director of JD Admissions, at
lawwaitlist@law.georgetown.edu as soon as possible to let us know
your level of interest. On our end, we will try to keep you as up to
date as possible on the waitlist situation, both before and after May
1st.

We look forward to hearing back from you and we thank you again for
your continued interest in Georgetown and for your patience with our
process.
If there's no way that you end up there, I would just tell them that. There's no point making them do work if it's not gonna happen.

zz888

New

Post by zz888 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm on the regular waitlist but received the email with the preferred WL language. maybe there are only 2 emails going around or maybe theres not much difference between regular and PWL? (I hope!)

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:27 pm

untar614 wrote:I'm on the "special preferred" waitlist, briefly replyed saying I was still interested last time they asked. Mine also reads like the "we will accept you if you say you love us" one. At this point though, is it really realistic to expect a full ride, given that's what it would take for me to go there now? (fwiw, I'm above median gpa and above 75th %ile LSAT) or should I just withdraw and be done with it. I know ppl say gulc doesn't yp, but this sure feels like it.
lol

1) GULC doesn't YP

2) GULC doesn't give full rides

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
lol

1) GULC doesn't YP
Well this is tempting me to tell them I totally wanna go there just to test this out, but if this is true:
even when shown a nearly full ride from a higher ranked school, then I guess I'll just withdraw.

and I don't know what was funny about that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

untar614 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
lol

1) GULC doesn't YP
Well this is tempting me to tell them I totally wanna go there just to test this out, but if this is true:
even when shown a nearly full ride from a higher ranked school, then I guess I'll just withdraw.

and I don't know what was funny about that.
Your post is kind of ridiculous man. You're waitlisted at a school that doesn't YP or give out full rides and you're wondering if you'll get a full ride off the waitlist. Dude, they probably don't have a lot of seat openings left, much less 150k sitting around. You'd be doing someone a solid by withdrawing and giving someone who actually wants to go the opportunity to get in. But of you actually want GULC, gl

stone_fox

New

Post by stone_fox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:09 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:Is it possible that the different letters are getting sent out based on whether you've sent a post-WL LOCI or not?
I would guess not. I have sent in 2 post-WL LOCIs and receieved just the standard preferred email this morning. But I am also below both medians, so take that as you will.

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:25 pm

With respect to the YP thing. Obviously they do it to some extent. That's why they're asking about people's level of interest. It may not sway the initial admit/deny decisions a ton, but if they don't think there's any chance you'll go there, they're not going to admit you. Why would they?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm on the regular waitlist. When it comes to getting off any waitlist, how much does a LOCI even matter if you're below the medians? I feel like it really comes down to numbers and school needs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gravitygravity

New

Post by gravitygravity » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Last edited by gravitygravity on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 pm

DaRascal wrote:I'm on the regular waitlist. When it comes to getting off any waitlist, how much does a LOCI even matter if you're below the medians? I feel like it really comes down to numbers and school needs.
If you aren't a URM or offer something they really need, then i can't say it really helps. With that said, it definitely does not hurt, and you should write a compelling one if you wish to attend(with the mindset it will be at sticker). Are you close to median for LSAT or GPA? if that is the case even as below median you may be valuable if they predict their medians dropping.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Your post is kind of ridiculous man. You're waitlisted at a school that doesn't YP or give out full rides and you're wondering if you'll get a full ride off the waitlist. Dude, they probably don't have a lot of seat openings left, much less 150k sitting around. You'd be doing someone a solid by withdrawing and giving someone who actually wants to go the opportunity to get in. But of you actually want GULC, gl
Well, I was asking whether they gave full rides, meaning I didn't know if they did or not, and was questioning the assertion that they don't yp. So unless you think this should be broadly known and unquestionably accepted, I don't see anything ridiculous about it.

That said, given this now, I will most likely withdraw, so good luck to the rest of you waiting on one of these spots.

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Has anyone on the WL visited after the initial decision? If so, did you specifically inform them of your pending visit? Meet with anyone in admissions?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”