Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jdmonkey

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby jdmonkey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:22 pm

If they crunch the numbers and find out that there are no spots for us I would rather be released from the wait list now then have it play out until August. We should know for sure by Monday.

ballerina90

Postby ballerina90 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm

KatieMae28 wrote:Is everyone in agreement that if you didn't get that last email you've been booted from the waitlist? :(

BTW: HUUUUUUUGE Congrats to everyone on this thread that has been receiving offers! :D

I don't think so.... they have to keep some people on the waitlist for July/August. Stay positive!

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Did anyone reply to the update from earlier this month? I wrote a brief note.

I have a very recent update that I'd like to share with them, but not sure how to time it in light of "We...promise you an update no later than July 1st." Should I send it ASAP hoping it can have a positive impact on my fate?

KatieMae28

Postby KatieMae28 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Did anyone reply to the update from earlier this month? I wrote a brief note.

I have a very recent update that I'd like to share with them, but not sure how to time it in light of "We...promise you an update no later than July 1st." Should I send it ASAP hoping it can have a positive impact on my fate?

I would say send your update now if you have new information. There's no way of knowing what the update will be around July 1st - if it's bad news, you don't want to sit around asking yourself "What if I had told them xyz before I got this..."

If when they send the update they do request another LOCI, you can just send another brief response. At least you'll have put your new information on the table as soon as possible for their consideration, which I think the admissions office would probably appreciate.

That's just my opinion...hope it helps!

nordi

Postby nordi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Withdrew this morning. Tempted, but I couldn't pull the trigger on spending more to go to a lower ranked school.

zz888

Postby zz888 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Anyone get the email just now? I dont know what to do because i already placed a deposit at duke, but ive always wanted georgetown. Not sure if its worth pursuing at this point.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm

zz888 wrote:Anyone get the email just now? I dont know what to do because i already placed a deposit at duke, but ive always wanted georgetown. Not sure if its worth pursuing at this point.

Nope. What'd it say?

hopelessoptimist

Postby hopelessoptimist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:39 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
zz888 wrote:Anyone get the email just now? I dont know what to do because i already placed a deposit at duke, but ive always wanted georgetown. Not sure if its worth pursuing at this point.

Nope. What'd it say?

I did. It was one of those interest emails saying they have a few spots and they want to know how interested we are and our likelihood of attending if admitted. I don't know what to do either because I have a housing deadline on Monday at GW and a deposit deadline at Penn on Friday if I decide to withdraw from GW. So much WL craziness in so little time!

ballerina90

Postby ballerina90 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:42 pm

hopelessoptimist wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

Nope. What'd it say?

I did. It was one of those interest emails saying they have a few spots and they want to know how interested we are and our likelihood of attending if admitted. I don't know what to do either because I have a housing deadline on Monday at GW and a deposit deadline at Penn on Friday if I decide to withdraw from GW. So much WL craziness in so little time!

You would go to Georgetown/GW over Penn? Wow :shock: Sounds like you have some great choices though!

hopelessoptimist

Postby hopelessoptimist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 pm

ballerina90 wrote:
hopelessoptimist wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

Nope. What'd it say?

You would go to Georgetown/GW over Penn? Wow :shock: Sounds like you have some great choices though!

haha thanks. I'm definitely leaning towards Penn, but I got some $$ from GW, and I know I would love DC, whereas I know absolutely nothing about Philly. I'm definitely going to explore all the options, and it's a pretty nice situation to be in, but regardless, I'll be happy to finally settle it all in the next week. And of course I'll post any additional info I might get from Georgetown.

lawschoolhopeful16

Postby lawschoolhopeful16 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:18 pm

If I were you I'd choose Penn>>>Georgetown. Penn, quite frankly, has a better reputation, and your eventual prospects for breaking into biglaw/elite gov't placement out a Penn might be better. Georgetown grads, after all, are commonplace in DC.

ballerina90

Postby ballerina90 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm

lawschoolhopeful16 wrote:If I were you I'd choose Penn>>>Georgetown. Penn, quite frankly, has a better reputation, and your eventual prospects for breaking into biglaw/elite gov't placement out a Penn might be better. Georgetown grads, after all, are commonplace in DC.

Agreed. As much as I love Georgetown, I'd run to Penn in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm

lawschoolhopeful16 wrote:If I were you I'd choose Penn>>>Georgetown. Penn, quite frankly, has a better reputation, and your eventual prospects for breaking into biglaw/elite gov't placement out a Penn might be better. Georgetown grads, after all, are commonplace in DC.

+1

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:04 pm

Also going to send in a LOCI as I haven't really sent any additional documents to Georgetown.
What's the news on the waitlist front? How does it compare to July of last year?

Getting desperate....

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:49 am

The emails at the beginning of this month were worded somewhat differently, but did everyone get a promise to update by today? Has anyone already been updated?

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 am

JuniperCreekEsq wrote:The emails at the beginning of this month were worded somewhat differently, but did everyone get a promise to update by today? Has anyone already been updated?

I'm still waiting.... when's their tuition payment deadline?

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:01 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
JuniperCreekEsq wrote:The emails at the beginning of this month were worded somewhat differently, but did everyone get a promise to update by today? Has anyone already been updated?

I'm still waiting.... when's their tuition payment deadline?

+1 Still waiting

b123

Postby b123 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:16 pm

The day of reckoning is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKTbFbwrxE

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:18 pm

lawschoolhopeful16

Postby lawschoolhopeful16 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:03 pm

I've yet to receive the "update" from Cornblatt, but I'm reasonably certain that the Admissions office closes at 6pm. Does anyone have news to report? A lack of reply by the stated deadline seems uncharacteristic as Georgetown is typically quite timely.

JuniperCreekEsq

Postby JuniperCreekEsq » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 pm

I bought internet on this flight just to check up on that "promise." I'm looking 38,000 feet down on you, GULC.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:45 pm

The 2012 thread shows that GULC was 2 days late in their July wait list email.

lawschoolhopeful16

Postby lawschoolhopeful16 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Oh, well, in that case... Let's keep waiting!

jusman26

Postby jusman26 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Hey All,

I've been on the Regular WL for Georgetown since the beginning and have received all the emails. I had a 3.6 166. A few questions to anyone who might know more than I do:

#1: I just retook the LSAT (2nd time taking it) on June 10th and received a 169 today. I immediately emailed Georgetown and let them know about my new LSAT score. Does anyone know if this might help me? Do they count a new LSAT score like this for people already on the WL? I don't see why they wouldn't, but it's worth asking. Also if someone knows how to officially send this new score in from LSAC that would be great too. I plan on calling LSAC tomorrow to inquire.

#2: Preface: This isn't meant to be an elitest question (though I guess this website is called Top-Law Schools, so everyone is probably ok with it). I see that the law schools obviously place a huge emphasis on GPA and LSAT scores when making admit decisions. I also see these stats on US News rankings etc. Do law schools also take into consideration where you went for undergrad? For example (and no I didn't actually go to Harvard), if someone had a 3.55 from Harvard undergrad, would someone from Southeastern Alabama State who had a 3.8 have a better shot at getting into law school?

Thanks everyone and good luck!!

eomea5

Postby eomea5 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 am

jusman26 wrote:Hey All,

I've been on the Regular WL for Georgetown since the beginning and have received all the emails. I had a 3.6 166. A few questions to anyone who might know more than I do:

#1: I just retook the LSAT (2nd time taking it) on June 10th and received a 169 today. I immediately emailed Georgetown and let them know about my new LSAT score. Does anyone know if this might help me? Do they count a new LSAT score like this for people already on the WL? I don't see why they wouldn't, but it's worth asking. Also if someone knows how to officially send this new score in from LSAC that would be great too. I plan on calling LSAC tomorrow to inquire.

#2: Preface: This isn't meant to be an elitest question (though I guess this website is called Top-Law Schools, so everyone is probably ok with it). I see that the law schools obviously place a huge emphasis on GPA and LSAT scores when making admit decisions. I also see these stats on US News rankings etc. Do law schools also take into consideration where you went for undergrad? For example (and no I didn't actually go to Harvard), if someone had a 3.55 from Harvard undergrad, would someone from Southeastern Alabama State who had a 3.8 have a better shot at getting into law school?

Thanks everyone and good luck!!

with that new LSAT you probably moved near the top of the remaining waitlist pool. i would think it would be a massive help. as for the gpa, i think HYS would give more credence to where your GPA came from than a place like georgetown would, but who knows. with that new LSAT score though it wont matter and they'll likely let you in if there's a spot and you may also get some money.

nice work on bumping up your LSAT!

ETA: im not sure if this is in the cards for you, but it may be worth even waiting and reapplying early next cycle with your new score. could open many more doors and more scholarship money.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”