Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zz888
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby zz888 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:28 pm

nickb285 wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:may need to make other contingency plans What???? I only applied to one school. Darn!!!!!!


Good think Barry Law is still taking applications!


^ lol

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Also got a slightly different version. It sucks, but I was terrified I was out of the running.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby jdmonkey » Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Also got a slightly different version. It sucks, but I was terrified I was out of the running.


Can you post your version?

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Also got a slightly different version. It sucks, but I was terrified I was out of the running.


Can you post your version?


Sure.

We have now had a chance to sort through our responses to our first tuition deposit deadline. As of today, the class is full and we anticipate making few, if any, new decisions for the next few weeks. As we mentioned earlier though, you are right at the top of the list of people we will turn to if space is available.

We, of course, know that you may need to make other contingency plans and will do our best to let you know if there is any news or updates. We will be back in touch with you for sure no later than June 5th.

Thank you so much for your patience and your interest in Georgetown.

Best,

Andy


Basically the same old "wait-but-you're-still-in-a-special-group" email. Meh..

User avatar
thatgumyoulike
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby thatgumyoulike » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 pm

jdmonkey wrote:We have now had a chance to sort through our responses to our first tuition deposit deadline. As of today, the class is full and we anticipate making few, if any, new decisions for the next few weeks. As we mentioned earlier though, you are in a group of people that we will turn to if space is available.



We, of course, know that you may need to make other contingency plans and will do our best to let you know if there is any news or updates. We will be back in touch with you for sure no later than June 5th.



Thank you so much for your patience and your interest in Georgetown.



Best,



Andy



Andrew Cornblatt

Dean of Admissions

Georgetown University Law Center

Just got this.

zz888
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby zz888 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 am

soooo if were not in this "group" should go crawl in a cave and give up? *tear*

soccergal
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby soccergal » Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am

just got invited to group interview in NY tomorrow. Anyone else?

j-select
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby j-select » Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm

i had a group interview back in april. just out of curiosity, how many of us have attended a group interview? it seems that it's more of an olive branch than anything.

User avatar
Dream Weave
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby Dream Weave » Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm

j-select wrote:i had a group interview back in april. just out of curiosity, how many of us have attended a group interview? it seems that it's more of an olive branch than anything.


I did it. Took down about half te group's cell numbers and none of us have gotten in yet. At the end, he told us it was one of the best groups he has had thus far...

lawschoolhopeful16
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby lawschoolhopeful16 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Does anyone know what happens at these group interviews? Also, why would Georgetown be holding group interviews now? They already have a wait list, and people admitted through the regular process have already accepted or declined. This seems slightly strange.

User avatar
stone_fox
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby stone_fox » Tue May 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
j-select wrote:i had a group interview back in april. just out of curiosity, how many of us have attended a group interview? it seems that it's more of an olive branch than anything.


I did it. Took down about half te group's cell numbers and none of us have gotten in yet. At the end, he told us it was one of the best groups he has had thus far...


I had a similar experience at my group interview. Still waitlisted (preferred).

atomist
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby atomist » Wed May 15, 2013 5:22 am

Were individual interviews rarer than group interviews? I had a individual skype interview with an alumni in March.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby happyshapy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:44 pm

would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....

striveseekfind
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby striveseekfind » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 pm

happyshapy wrote:would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....


Couldn't hurt to ask Georgetown not to cash the check, right? Worst case scenario is they say no, and then you stop payment on it through your bank. I would call admissions and try to get an answer immediately, though—banks sometimes need a day or two to process that kind of request.

(I'm assuming that you have a better offer in hand?)

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby happyshapy » Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm

striveseekfind wrote:
happyshapy wrote:would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....


Couldn't hurt to ask Georgetown not to cash the check, right? Worst case scenario is they say no, and then you stop payment on it through your bank. I would call admissions and try to get an answer immediately, though—banks sometimes need a day or two to process that kind of request.

(I'm assuming that you have a better offer in hand?)


is stoping payment on it unethical... i feel bad about it for some reason. but it is $800...

striveseekfind
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby striveseekfind » Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 pm

happyshapy wrote:
striveseekfind wrote:
happyshapy wrote:would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....


Couldn't hurt to ask Georgetown not to cash the check, right? Worst case scenario is they say no, and then you stop payment on it through your bank. I would call admissions and try to get an answer immediately, though—banks sometimes need a day or two to process that kind of request.

(I'm assuming that you have a better offer in hand?)


is stoping payment on it unethical... i feel bad about it for some reason. but it is $800...


Hmm, tough call. I'm assuming you were admitted off the waitlist ~10 days ago? Given how quickly you're withdrawing, it seems like there's not much of a difference between stopping payment now and never having submitted a deposit in the first place (i.e., I imagine they're still crunching numbers right now on how many WL offers were accepted). But maybe I'm playing this too fast and loose?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying to work this out with GULC directly before you stop payment. The intended purpose of that deposit has already failed in your case, so they may be willing to let it slide. Maybe.
Last edited by striveseekfind on Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dream Weave
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby Dream Weave » Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm

striveseekfind wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
striveseekfind wrote:
happyshapy wrote:would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....


Couldn't hurt to ask Georgetown not to cash the check, right? Worst case scenario is they say no, and then you stop payment on it through your bank. I would call admissions and try to get an answer immediately, though—banks sometimes need a day or two to process that kind of request.

(I'm assuming that you have a better offer in hand?)


is stoping payment on it unethical... i feel bad about it for some reason. but it is $800...


Hmm, tough call. I'm assuming you were admitted off the waitlist ~10 days ago? Given how quickly you're withdrawing, it seems like there's not much of a difference between stopping payment now and never having submitted a deposit in the first place (i.e., I imagine they're still crunching numbers right now on how many WL offers were accepted). But maybe I'm playing this too fast and loose?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying to work this out with GULC directly before you stop payment. The intended purpose of that deposit has already failed in your case, so they may be willing to let it slide.


Until the check clears you haven't deposited. Call them and tell them you are withdrawing and have cancelled the check that was mailed.

User avatar
happyshapy
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby happyshapy » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm


Hmm, tough call. I'm assuming you were admitted off the waitlist ~10 days ago? Given how quickly you're withdrawing, it seems like there's not much of a difference between stopping payment now and never having submitted a deposit in the first place (i.e., I imagine they're still crunching numbers right now on how many WL offers were accepted). But maybe I'm playing this too fast and loose?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying to work this out with GULC directly before you stop payment. The intended purpose of that deposit has already failed in your case, so they may be willing to let it slide. Maybe.


I sent it in the mail yesterday and just emailed asking to withdraw. I got an offer from another school yesterday literally after I put it in the mailbox. I'll wait it out I guess. But they had not received it by the deadline anyway...

User avatar
Psib337
Posts: 315
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby Psib337 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:48 pm

happyshapy wrote:

Hmm, tough call. I'm assuming you were admitted off the waitlist ~10 days ago? Given how quickly you're withdrawing, it seems like there's not much of a difference between stopping payment now and never having submitted a deposit in the first place (i.e., I imagine they're still crunching numbers right now on how many WL offers were accepted). But maybe I'm playing this too fast and loose?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying to work this out with GULC directly before you stop payment. The intended purpose of that deposit has already failed in your case, so they may be willing to let it slide. Maybe.


I sent it in the mail yesterday and just emailed asking to withdraw. I got an offer from another school yesterday literally after I put it in the mailbox. I'll wait it out I guess. But they had not received it by the deadline anyway...


It's probably not that big of a deal. I sent my deposit last week and they still haven't cashed it (but they did send an e-mail letting me know that they got it) so it's probably not that big a deal to tell them not to cash it when they get it.

collegebum1989
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:31 am

if you got PWL this cycle, can you request GULC to defer your application for consideration next cycle if there are no seats by the end of august?

User avatar
Belgorn
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby Belgorn » Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 pm

So I just got a group interview invite for applicants who have "indicated ties to the Washington, DC area." I've already had an individual interview in February and I got the ominous "our class is full" email, so this definitely came as a surprise. There's two interview slots so I'm guessing this isn't any sort of ultra-select opportunity, but has anyone else gotten this invite or think it's especially promising or not?

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Belgorn wrote:So I just got a group interview invite for applicants who have "indicated ties to the Washington, DC area." I've already had an individual interview in February and I got the ominous "our class is full" email, so this definitely came as a surprise. There's two interview slots so I'm guessing this isn't any sort of ultra-select opportunity, but has anyone else gotten this invite or think it's especially promising or not?


If you'd attend GULC then I say do it, but fwiw this seems like the definition of spinning their wheels. If you've already had an individual interview, idk how a less personal group interview contributes anything new to your app. and if they wanted to gauge interest then presumably they could just call you and ask

j-select
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby j-select » Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 pm

pr
Last edited by j-select on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

striveseekfind
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby striveseekfind » Fri May 17, 2013 2:12 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Belgorn wrote:So I just got a group interview invite for applicants who have "indicated ties to the Washington, DC area." I've already had an individual interview in February and I got the ominous "our class is full" email, so this definitely came as a surprise. There's two interview slots so I'm guessing this isn't any sort of ultra-select opportunity, but has anyone else gotten this invite or think it's especially promising or not?


If you'd attend GULC then I say do it, but fwiw this seems like the definition of spinning their wheels. If you've already had an individual interview, idk how a less personal group interview contributes anything new to your app. and if they wanted to gauge interest then presumably they could just call you and ask


Agreed—if you still want to go to GULC, do it. There's always a chance you'll stand out somehow and give Dean Cornblatt that "extra thimbleful" of information to get you an offer.

Personally, I doubt it's just for show. I'm betting they have a very scant number of spaces likely to open up and they just want to know as much as they can before they parcel them out.

jdmonkey
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby jdmonkey » Fri May 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Why doesn't Dean Cornblatt come to New England? I'd like a group interview :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, rapmasterg and 5 guests