Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zz888

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Postby zz888 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:41 pm

well...at least I know I wasn't the only one forgotten =(

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 pm

zz888 wrote:well...at least I know I wasn't the only one forgotten =(

I know.. good to have this support group :)

atomist

Postby atomist » Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 am

I'm PWL and haven't received any of these recent emails either. I just got the update email in April saying that their deposits were 'quite strong' at that point.

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 am

atomist wrote:I'm PWL and haven't received any of these recent emails either. I just got the update email in April saying that their deposits were 'quite strong' at that point.

Same here

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 am

Did some ppl not even receive the April update?

waitlistpro

Postby waitlistpro » Tue May 07, 2013 9:07 am

totoro wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
waitlistpro wrote:Any other SPWL's not receive the email from friday or any update since the initial inquiry two weeks ago? I'm confused as to how they decide to reach out to applicants. What's the point of being designated into a "special group" on the PWL if you are going to get passed over. I sent two loci's, visited the school, and talked to admissions in person...

Right there with you :(

Not a single update since the touching base email...

Same (also on SPWL). Maybe they're getting to us later? :mrgreen: No but really, I'm kind of sad and confused right now why they went straight to the PWL.

I doubt it, I think they definitely reviewed our applications but decided to move down the list. Either way, there is still a chance and I know I'm not going to be giving up that easily. People were getting acceptances all the way up until the end of July on last year's thread.

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 am

Dream Weave wrote:Did some ppl not even receive the April update?

I did not receive the April update.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Tue May 07, 2013 11:28 am

Something tells me that they are going to have a hard time convincing people to pay sticker (especially to people with 169 LSATs). I could see them going through all 3 wait lists. The endowment of Georgetown is quite small compared to its peers. This could just be wishful thinking on my part, but with only 33% of the class getting big law jobs it is hard to justify the return on investment. Unless your parents are super wealthy and you are into the country club prestige aspect.

amr016

Postby amr016 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi everyone, I lurk all the time but have never posted.

I have a large number of friends that go to Georgetown Law (like 20) and a good number of them (5 off the top of my head) got in off the various wait lists. According to some of those friends Gtown doesn't necessarily go in order of which waitlist you're on, so some friends on the regular wait list got in before those on the preferred waitlist. Additionally, many had to go through last week's exercise in flattery multiple times before they were accepted.

Hope this info helps!

zz888

Postby zz888 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm

amr016 wrote:Hi everyone, I lurk all the time but have never posted.

I have a large number of friends that go to Georgetown Law (like 20) and a good number of them (5 off the top of my head) got in off the various wait lists. According to some of those friends Gtown doesn't necessarily go in order of which waitlist you're on, so some friends on the regular wait list got in before those on the preferred waitlist. Additionally, many had to go through last week's exercise in flattery multiple times before they were accepted.

Hope this info helps!

thanks for the info!! that gives us regular wait listers some reassurance...

gpallet01

Postby gpallet01 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm

jdmonkey wrote:Something tells me that they are going to have a hard time convincing people to pay sticker (especially to people with 169 LSATs). I could see them going through all 3 wait lists. The endowment of Georgetown is quite small compared to its peers. This could just be wishful thinking on my part, but with only 33% of the class getting big law jobs it is hard to justify the return on investment. Unless your parents are super wealthy and you are into the country club prestige aspect.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gulc Nearly 40% in biglaw and 4% in fed clerkships. Not worth sticker but certainly higher than just a third of the class.

zz888

Postby zz888 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:07 pm

just called the admissions office, the committee is working on updating all the WLers (those who haven't gotten any updates thus far i'm assuming), early next week... didn't sound too promising.

stone_fox

Postby stone_fox » Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 pm

zz888 wrote:just called the admissions office, the committee is working on updating all the WLers (those who haven't gotten any updates thus far i'm assuming), early next week... didn't sound too promising.

ah, well. thanks for doing that.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

gpallet01 wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:Something tells me that they are going to have a hard time convincing people to pay sticker (especially to people with 169 LSATs). I could see them going through all 3 wait lists. The endowment of Georgetown is quite small compared to its peers. This could just be wishful thinking on my part, but with only 33% of the class getting big law jobs it is hard to justify the return on investment. Unless your parents are super wealthy and you are into the country club prestige aspect.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gulc Nearly 40% in biglaw and 4% in fed clerkships. Not worth sticker but certainly higher than just a third of the class.

According to the official numbers that Georgetown provided the American Bar Association, 578 students received a JD in 2012 (most recent numbers). Of those 578 students 186 worked at law firms of 500 employees or more. 186/578=32%. I highly doubt these numbers are inaccurate because the school's accreditation could be suspended if they committed fraud. I am posting the link to the official ABA employment website. Thus less than a third of GULC alums start out in big law. This may be self selective because many people in DC want to be government bureaucrats. However it is factual.

http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

gpallet01

Postby gpallet01 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
gpallet01 wrote:

According to the official numbers that Georgetown provided the American Bar Association, 578 students received a JD in 2012 (most recent numbers). Of those 578 students 186 worked at law firms of 500 employees or more. 186/578=32%. I highly doubt these numbers are inaccurate because the school's accreditation could be suspended if they committed fraud. I am posting the link to the official ABA employment website. Thus less than a third of GULC alums start out in big law. This may be self selective because many people in DC want to be government bureaucrats. However it is factual.

http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

Biglaw usually considered 100+ firms around these parts.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 pm

stone_fox wrote:
zz888 wrote:just called the admissions office, the committee is working on updating all the WLers (those who haven't gotten any updates thus far i'm assuming), early next week... didn't sound too promising.

ah, well. thanks for doing that.

Thank you!

So, early next week!!! :|

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Anyone here on WL for PT program only and received word of acceptance/emails asking for interest?

j-select

Postby j-select » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 am

collegebum1989 wrote:Anyone here on WL for PT program only and received word of acceptance/emails asking for interest?

i am but i haven't heard anything since the april email. anyone else on the pwl for pt?

stone_fox

Postby stone_fox » Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm

I wrote 2 LOCIs and visited the campus and my application hasn't been touched since 1/10. Sick, bra.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 pm

We have now had a chance to sort through our responses to our first tuition deposit deadline. As of today, the class is full and we anticipate making few, if any, new decisions for the next few weeks. As we mentioned earlier though, you are in a group of people that we will turn to if space is available.

We, of course, know that you may need to make other contingency plans and will do our best to let you know if there is any news or updates. We will be back in touch with you for sure no later than June 5th.

Thank you so much for your patience and your interest in Georgetown.

Best,

Andy

Andrew Cornblatt

Dean of Admissions

Georgetown University Law Center

j-select

Postby j-select » Fri May 10, 2013 4:50 pm

jdmonkey wrote:We have now had a chance to sort through our responses to our first tuition deposit deadline. As of today, the class is full and we anticipate making few, if any, new decisions for the next few weeks. As we mentioned earlier though, you are in a group of people that we will turn to if space is available.

We, of course, know that you may need to make other contingency plans and will do our best to let you know if there is any news or updates. We will be back in touch with you for sure no later than June 5th.

Best,

Andy

Andrew Cornblatt

Dean of Admissions

just received the same email.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Fri May 10, 2013 4:52 pm

j-select wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:We have now had a chance to sort through our responses to our first tuition deposit deadline. As of today, the class is full and we anticipate making few, if any, new decisions for the next few weeks. As we mentioned earlier though, you are in a group of people that we will turn to if space is available.

Best,

Andy

Andrew Cornblatt

Dean of Admissions

just received the same email.

same here

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Yup, I got the screw you email too.

jdmonkey

Postby jdmonkey » Fri May 10, 2013 5:07 pm

may need to make other contingency plans What???? I only applied to one school. Darn!!!!!!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

jdmonkey wrote:may need to make other contingency plans What???? I only applied to one school. Darn!!!!!!

Good think Barry Law is still taking applications!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”