Georgetown Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zz888

New

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2013

Post by zz888 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:28 pm

nickb285 wrote:
jdmonkey wrote:may need to make other contingency plans What???? I only applied to one school. Darn!!!!!!
Good think Barry Law is still taking applications!
^ lol

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Also got a slightly different version. It sucks, but I was terrified I was out of the running.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Fri May 10, 2013 8:51 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:Also got a slightly different version. It sucks, but I was terrified I was out of the running.
Can you post your version?

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

jdmonkey wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:Also got a slightly different version. It sucks, but I was terrified I was out of the running.
Can you post your version?
Sure.
We have now had a chance to sort through our responses to our first tuition deposit deadline. As of today, the class is full and we anticipate making few, if any, new decisions for the next few weeks. As we mentioned earlier though, you are right at the top of the list of people we will turn to if space is available.

We, of course, know that you may need to make other contingency plans and will do our best to let you know if there is any news or updates. We will be back in touch with you for sure no later than June 5th.

Thank you so much for your patience and your interest in Georgetown.

Best,

Andy
Basically the same old "wait-but-you're-still-in-a-special-group" email. Meh..

thatgumyoulike

New

Post by thatgumyoulike » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 pm

jdmonkey wrote:We have now had a chance to sort through our responses to our first tuition deposit deadline. As of today, the class is full and we anticipate making few, if any, new decisions for the next few weeks. As we mentioned earlier though, you are in a group of people that we will turn to if space is available.

We, of course, know that you may need to make other contingency plans and will do our best to let you know if there is any news or updates. We will be back in touch with you for sure no later than June 5th.

Thank you so much for your patience and your interest in Georgetown.

Best,

Andy

Andrew Cornblatt

Dean of Admissions

Georgetown University Law Center
Just got this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zz888

New

Post by zz888 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 am

soooo if were not in this "group" should go crawl in a cave and give up? *tear*

soccergal

New

Post by soccergal » Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am

just got invited to group interview in NY tomorrow. Anyone else?

j-select

New

Post by j-select » Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm

i had a group interview back in april. just out of curiosity, how many of us have attended a group interview? it seems that it's more of an olive branch than anything.

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm

j-select wrote:i had a group interview back in april. just out of curiosity, how many of us have attended a group interview? it seems that it's more of an olive branch than anything.
I did it. Took down about half te group's cell numbers and none of us have gotten in yet. At the end, he told us it was one of the best groups he has had thus far...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolhopeful16

New

Post by lawschoolhopeful16 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Does anyone know what happens at these group interviews? Also, why would Georgetown be holding group interviews now? They already have a wait list, and people admitted through the regular process have already accepted or declined. This seems slightly strange.

stone_fox

New

Post by stone_fox » Tue May 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
j-select wrote:i had a group interview back in april. just out of curiosity, how many of us have attended a group interview? it seems that it's more of an olive branch than anything.
I did it. Took down about half te group's cell numbers and none of us have gotten in yet. At the end, he told us it was one of the best groups he has had thus far...
I had a similar experience at my group interview. Still waitlisted (preferred).

atomist

New

Post by atomist » Wed May 15, 2013 5:22 am

Were individual interviews rarer than group interviews? I had a individual skype interview with an alumni in March.

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Thu May 16, 2013 12:44 pm

would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

striveseekfind

New

Post by striveseekfind » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 pm

happyshapy wrote:would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....
Couldn't hurt to ask Georgetown not to cash the check, right? Worst case scenario is they say no, and then you stop payment on it through your bank. I would call admissions and try to get an answer immediately, though—banks sometimes need a day or two to process that kind of request.

(I'm assuming that you have a better offer in hand?)

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm

striveseekfind wrote:
happyshapy wrote:would it be bad to withdraw and cancel my deposit check before they receive it in the mail....
Couldn't hurt to ask Georgetown not to cash the check, right? Worst case scenario is they say no, and then you stop payment on it through your bank. I would call admissions and try to get an answer immediately, though—banks sometimes need a day or two to process that kind of request.

is stoping payment on it unethical... i feel bad about it for some reason. but it is $800...

striveseekfind

New

Post by striveseekfind » Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 pm

happyshapy wrote:
striveseekfind wrote:

is stoping payment on it unethical... i feel bad about it for some reason. but it is $800...
Hmm, tough call. I'm assuming you were admitted off the waitlist ~10 days ago? Given how quickly you're withdrawing, it seems like there's not much of a difference between stopping payment now and never having submitted a deposit in the first place (i.e., I imagine they're still crunching numbers right now on how many WL offers were accepted). But maybe I'm playing this too fast and loose?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying to work this out with GULC directly before you stop payment. The intended purpose of that deposit has already failed in your case, so they may be willing to let it slide. Maybe.
Last edited by striveseekfind on Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm

striveseekfind wrote:
happyshapy wrote:
striveseekfind wrote:

Hmm, tough call. I'm assuming you were admitted off the waitlist ~10 days ago? Given how quickly you're withdrawing, it seems like there's not much of a difference between stopping payment now and never having submitted a deposit in the first place (i.e., I imagine they're still crunching numbers right now on how many WL offers were accepted). But maybe I'm playing this too fast and loose?

Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying to work this out with GULC directly before you stop payment. The intended purpose of that deposit has already failed in your case, so they may be willing to let it slide.
Until the check clears you haven't deposited. Call them and tell them you are withdrawing and have cancelled the check that was mailed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

happyshapy

Bronze

Post by happyshapy » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Either way, I'd strongly recommend trying to work this out with GULC directly before you stop payment. The intended purpose of that deposit has already failed in your case, so they may be willing to let it slide. Maybe.
I sent it in the mail yesterday and just emailed asking to withdraw. I got an offer from another school yesterday literally after I put it in the mailbox. I'll wait it out I guess. But they had not received it by the deadline anyway...

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:48 pm

happyshapy wrote:

I sent it in the mail yesterday and just emailed asking to withdraw. I got an offer from another school yesterday literally after I put it in the mailbox. I'll wait it out I guess. But they had not received it by the deadline anyway...
It's probably not that big of a deal. I sent my deposit last week and they still haven't cashed it (but they did send an e-mail letting me know that they got it) so it's probably not that big a deal to tell them not to cash it when they get it.

collegebum1989

Bronze

Post by collegebum1989 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:31 am

if you got PWL this cycle, can you request GULC to defer your application for consideration next cycle if there are no seats by the end of august?

Belgorn

New

Post by Belgorn » Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Belgorn on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Belgorn wrote:So I just got a group interview invite for applicants who have "indicated ties to the Washington, DC area." I've already had an individual interview in February and I got the ominous "our class is full" email, so this definitely came as a surprise. There's two interview slots so I'm guessing this isn't any sort of ultra-select opportunity, but has anyone else gotten this invite or think it's especially promising or not?
If you'd attend GULC then I say do it, but fwiw this seems like the definition of spinning their wheels. If you've already had an individual interview, idk how a less personal group interview contributes anything new to your app. and if they wanted to gauge interest then presumably they could just call you and ask

j-select

New

Post by j-select » Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 pm

pr
Last edited by j-select on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

striveseekfind

New

Post by striveseekfind » Fri May 17, 2013 2:12 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Belgorn wrote:So I just got a group interview invite for applicants who have "indicated ties to the Washington, DC area." I've already had an individual interview in February and I got the ominous "our class is full" email, so this definitely came as a surprise. There's two interview slots so I'm guessing this isn't any sort of ultra-select opportunity, but has anyone else gotten this invite or think it's especially promising or not?
If you'd attend GULC then I say do it, but fwiw this seems like the definition of spinning their wheels. If you've already had an individual interview, idk how a less personal group interview contributes anything new to your app. and if they wanted to gauge interest then presumably they could just call you and ask
Agreed—if you still want to go to GULC, do it. There's always a chance you'll stand out somehow and give Dean Cornblatt that "extra thimbleful" of information to get you an offer.

Personally, I doubt it's just for show. I'm betting they have a very scant number of spaces likely to open up and they just want to know as much as they can before they parcel them out.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Fri May 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Why doesn't Dean Cornblatt come to New England? I'd like a group interview :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”