How to Withdraw? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
helpplease

Bronze

How to Withdraw?

Post by helpplease » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:24 pm

I was just wondering whether there was a special way to withdraw an application after being accepted or would I just email the admissions@___ email and let them know? I have a handful of law schools that I've been accepted to that I know I won't be attending forsure, so it's pretty selfish to not give that opportunity to another student.

Thanks everyone!

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: How to Withdraw?

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 pm

helpplease wrote:I was just wondering whether there was a special way to withdraw an application after being accepted or would I just email the admissions@___ email and let them know? I have a handful of law schools that I've been accepted to that I know I won't be attending forsure, so it's pretty selfish to not give that opportunity to another student.

Thanks everyone!
Embossed letter, overnight delivery.

florida1949

Bronze

Post by florida1949 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:50 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
helpplease wrote:I was just wondering whether there was a special way to withdraw an application after being accepted or would I just email the admissions@___ email and let them know? I have a handful of law schools that I've been accepted to that I know I won't be attending forsure, so it's pretty selfish to not give that opportunity to another student.

Thanks everyone!
Embossed letter, overnight delivery.

Also, an email should suffice.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:51 pm

You have to appeal your acceptance.

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:53 pm

banjo wrote:You have to appeal your acceptance.
Troll -__-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Also, I wanted to mention that withdrawing acceptances is something everybody should do. So many people are desperately waiting to get into xyz schools and you could be holding a spot at a school you could care less about.

Be considerate.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:01 pm

helpplease wrote:
banjo wrote:You have to appeal your acceptance.
Troll -__-
You caught me. The embossed, overnight thing is the real way to do it. But seriously:

RE: Last Name, First Name (LSAC # XXXXXXXX)

"Dear Office of Admissions,

Please withdraw my application from the class of 2016. Thank you. "

Also, before you withdraw, be sure that you cannot use an acceptance or financial offer from that school to negotiate with other schools.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:10 pm

I withdrew via smoke signal and laser light show.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 pm

I hear a Case Western applicant withdrew with letter cut-outs from Dean Mitchell's OP ED along with "you can never have my soul."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:38 am

matthewsean85 wrote:I hear a Case Western applicant withdrew with letter cut-outs from Dean Mitchell's OP ED along with "you can never have my soul."

Wow if thats real thats awesome.

I have withdrawn from a few schools. Just an email with a thanks but not thanks will work. And I am withdrawing because I am waitlisted at a few places and if you know you're not going you might as well let them know so people on the waitlist can....maybe...get in sooner!

liupang

New

Post by liupang » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 am

Honestly, someone should make a template on TLS to show the rest of us how to withdraw with class. It's just kind of hard for me to simply say "thanks but no thanks" :roll:

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:34 am

"Thank you for the offer to study at [X] Law School. After careful consideration, I have decided to attend another school. Sincerely, [you]"

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 am

stillwater wrote:I withdrew via smoke signal and laser light show.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:58 am

You have to send them a withdrawal deposit.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:09 pm

liupang wrote:Honestly, someone should make a template on TLS to show the rest of us how to withdraw with class. It's just kind of hard for me to simply say "thanks but no thanks" :roll:

haha yup! just trying to help :)

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Wait, can you not use an offer you've withdrawn from as negotiation material? I mean certainly I understand that they are no longer active offers, but the schools that your negotiating with don't (shouldn't) know that, and I'm just scanning over an original document. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Rlabo wrote:Wait, can you not use an offer you've withdrawn from as negotiation material? I mean certainly I understand that they are no longer active offers, but the schools that your negotiating with don't (shouldn't) know that, and I'm just scanning over an original document. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.
Ready to be a lawyer? Write like one. Don't write "I am considering an offer from..."

Write "I have received an offer from..."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:18 pm

ironbmike wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Wait, can you not use an offer you've withdrawn from as negotiation material? I mean certainly I understand that they are no longer active offers, but the schools that your negotiating with don't (shouldn't) know that, and I'm just scanning over an original document. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.
Ready to be a lawyer? Write like one. Don't write "I am considering an offer from..."

Write "I have received an offer from..."

Exactly.

You can passively note for comparison's sake that you've received offers of xyz from schools abc. I wouldn't use a withdrawn offer as a direct matching request.

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:19 pm

I think that would be pretty duplicitous. That offer is no longer on the table, therefore telling another school that they need to compete with it seems... sketchy.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Some AdComms have been known to call and check with the other school (see Michigan).

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:25 pm

TripTrip wrote:Some AdComms have been known to call and check with the other school (see Michigan).
Just use past tense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mehh

Bronze

Post by mehh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

stillwater wrote:I withdrew via smoke signal and laser light show.
+1

HAHAHAH same.

Rlabo

Silver

Post by Rlabo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
I think that would be pretty duplicitous. That offer is no longer on the table, therefore telling another school that they need to compete with it seems... sketchy.
Yes its slightly sketchy but a reason I can see this occurring in the first place is that an applicant has a deposit deadline due on an offer and is still waiting to hear back from other schools that would be more conducive. In this case, would you suggest depositing at every school that you have a good bargaining chip with, even if you don't plan on going there? that might be ridiculously expensive for no reason. The offers did exist, and it does show what you're worth, or what another school was willing to give you. I don't see why someone in that predicament would not use them.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Rlabo wrote:The offers did exist, and it does show what you're worth, or what another school was willing to give you.
But the fact that you did not accept the offer proves that it was not worth more to you than your offers at other schools.

Scholarships are not about "what you are worth to other schools." It's about what that particular school is worth to you. (At least that's how the adcomms will see it, regardless of whether you view it another way.)

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Rlabo wrote: Yes its slightly sketchy but a reason I can see this occurring in the first place is that an applicant has a deposit deadline due on an offer and is still waiting to hear back from other schools that would be more conducive. In this case, would you suggest depositing at every school that you have a good bargaining chip with, even if you don't plan on going there? that might be ridiculously expensive for no reason.
Ask for an extension, tell them "I'm still waiting on some applications, it's out of my hands". If they won't give it to you, ask for more merit scholarship money. If no amount of money will get you to go there, you shoud've known that and used this offer already, or applied to better schools to use for scholarship leverage.
Rlabo wrote:The offers did exist, and it does show what you're worth, or what another school was willing to give you. I don't see why someone in that predicament would not use them.
From a school's perspective, this looks like a blatant misrepresentation of your current options. The assumption in citing an option is that it is viable; otherwise, it would not be an option, as options represent a group you're choosing between. Why should they match an offer that you can't choose? If this is really about demonstrating your value to another school, tell School A that School B's deposit deadline has passed and that you didn't pay it.

I understand that there is a clear difference between "School B has offered me a full ride" when, in reality, they have never done so and "School B has offered me a full ride" when they did and you let the deadline pass without depositing. And to be honest, you could probably cite a lapsed offer without getting caught - and if you did get caught, it would probably be a violation of the privacy of your application. However, that wouldn't stop LSAC from fucking your shit up so royally that you'd never, ever be admitted to any law school. Not worth the risk, IMHO.

If you want to keep using a scholarship after its deposit deadline, you should pay the deposit.

Getting back to the first point, it would behoove someone in this situation to play the schools with early deadlines against each other, at least a bit in advance of those deadlines. Then you have one, maybe two offers worth depositing for and actual valid offers to use against other schools. Pick schools with cheap deposits and focus on them. And again, ask for extensions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”