Admin/Professor Secrets: "Commit first, then we'll share!"

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spicyyoda17

Admin/Professor Secrets: "Commit first, then we'll share!"

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 pm

Awkward experience #1: setting up a call with a professor who runs a program I am interested in, only to have the call last 3 minutes after he finds out I have yet to commit to the school. He told me when I was set on coming there to give him another call and we could chat more.

Awkward experience #2: asking to be put in touch with students who had received a certain named scholarship in the past, only to be told I can have this info once I commit to fly in for an interview.

Is this normal?

helix23

Re: Admin/Professor Secrets: "Commit first, then we'll share!"

Postby helix23 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 pm

sorry bruh, some give up the goods easy, others you gotta meet the parents first.

gingerbreadsmouse

Postby gingerbreadsmouse » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 pm

That's no fun :(

I set up a call with a professor at UVA (actually suggested by Dugas) who works in an area in which I'm super interested, and he was great. It lasted 15-20 minutes, mostly him talking about their research endeavors, and it was very informative. I have not committed yet and he actually didn't ask! I am sure it varies a lot by school and individual professor.

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Ya, I mean it's not a deal-breaker at all by any means. I am just trying to collect as much information as possible before I commit one way or another.

I get it though, and it's fine.

atay

Postby atay » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:05 am

I haven't had that experience at all... I'm more afraid of the opposite, that once I commit they won't give two shits anymore.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 am

spicyyoda17 wrote:Awkward experience #1: setting up a call with a professor who runs a program I am interested in, only to have the call last 3 minutes after he finds out I have yet to commit to the school. He told me when I was set on coming there to give him another call and we could chat more.

Awkward experience #2: asking to be put in touch with students who had received a certain named scholarship in the past, only to be told I can have this info once I commit to fly in for an interview.

Is this normal?

Rule number #1: Law professors are brilliant and weird. The professor is operating off of a theory of retributive negotiation he just invented yesterday. Don't analyze the interaction within normal social constructs. Stick to your guns with the admissions office.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”