SUNY Buffalo 1L Taking Questions

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ssmarose

SUNY Buffalo 1L Taking Questions

Postby ssmarose » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey Guys!

I'm currently a 1L student at SUNY Buffalo. Congrats to all those who have been accepted! I know that the application/decision making process can be rough- so if anyone has any questions feel free to post them or private message me!

also.. check out the SUNY Buffalo admissions page to see if the site may answer any questions!

http://www.law.buffalo.edu/admissions.html

Shanleigh17

Re: SUNY Buffalo 1L Taking Questions

Postby Shanleigh17 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Hello!!
I am wondering if you could help answer some questions about the admissions process. Do you know the actual range that they accept students in? My numbers aren't grappling, I have a low LSAT but a nice GPA, but Buffalo is my first choice. How many fellow students do you know with similar circumstances?

Thank You!!

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Shanleigh17 wrote:Hello!!
I am wondering if you could help answer some questions about the admissions process. Do you know the actual range that they accept students in? My numbers aren't grappling, I have a low LSAT but a nice GPA, but Buffalo is my first choice. How many fellow students do you know with similar circumstances?

Thank You!!

http://buffalo.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

http://www.mylsn.info/app_checker.php

ssmarose

Postby ssmarose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Shanleigh17 wrote:Hello!!

Thank You!!

I know a couple of people in my class who had similar situations when applying where their LSAT was lower and GPA higher. While the LSAT is a big consideration when applying, the school will also consider GPA, personal statement, etc. as well- just because your LSAT isn't great isn't totally outcome determinative.

I've included the link to the profile of last years applicants (current 1L students) so you can see what the range has been. Also- on the LSAC website, you can put in your GPA and LSAT numbers and it can give you an idea of what your chances are at different schools.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Princethedog

Postby Princethedog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 pm

How are you and your classmates doing on the 1L summer job hunt? Do most people seem to be getting firm, government, or law related jobs. Do these jobs pay and where do you say people are going to work WNY, NYC, or DC?

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm

This should be moved to the Ask A Law Student section.

ssmarose

Postby ssmarose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Princethedog wrote:How are you and your classmates doing on the 1L summer job hunt? Do most people seem to be getting firm, government, or law related jobs. Do these jobs pay and where do you say people are going to work WNY, NYC, or DC?

From what I've heard from classmates so far- a lot of people seem to be getting internships in the WNY area, although a big reason for this could be cause many students are from the area and want to stay close to home. There are large number of internships in the Buffalo/Rochester area that cater to different areas of law. Since I'm mainly interested in public interest law, I've been looking mainly at those (and with great success!) and have found a large number of internships in WNY.

I also know some people have searched for and found internships closer to their hometowns, some of which are in the NYC/DC areas. Because UB has a strong alumni base in both cities, it is possible to make connections to help find some kind of internship in either city if that is you interest. The law school has a great Career Services office that will do what they can to help you out!

Even if the summer internship isn't paid(which for a public interest internship is likely, firm internships are more likely to be paid) the school offers various fellowships to help with the costs of living.

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled- I just spent 6 hours working on a writing assignment and my brain is fried! Hope this answers your question!

Some offices also hire 1Ls as clerks during the summer, which are often paid, and keep them on during the academic year part time.

helix23 wrote:This should be moved to the Ask A Law Student section.

Didn't even realize there was different sections! I'm not entirely familiar with this site, so I just added the post without even thinking about it! Thanks for the tip- I'll work on adding this to that section as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”