Applying Late in the Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby jvincent11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:09 pm

After completing my cycle, all you need to know is an applicants results will be SO MUCH BETTER applying in September than applying in January or later.
Last edited by jvincent11 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby teiswei » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Depends on your personal financial situation, but I would personally send out all my apps to see what offers I receive. If you do get 168+ you'll likely get in to quite a bit of the T14 but money will be the primary concern.

Make sure you request fee waivers and negotiate scholarships at every school you're offered admission to.

User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby jvincent11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Noted.
Last edited by jvincent11 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:31 pm

If you score well enough to make HLS a possibility, I would definitly apply next year if you don't get in this year/dont apply this year. For HLS, applying earlier rather than later is a very large advantage...

User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby jvincent11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm

.
Last edited by jvincent11 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Solistus
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:23 am

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby Solistus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 pm

Hope you don't mind if I throw my info in this thread as well.

I applied late - Submitted my apps online between Feb 1 and Feb 6. Took the LSAT back in December 2010, but this is my first cycle submitting apps. Graduated from undergrad in 2009, a year and some change in full time work experience after undergrad and some pretty substantial resume gaps as well. My only great 'soft' is that I was a policy debater in college and qualified to the National Debate Tournament. So, TL;DR is older applicant, mixed softs, February submit.

LSAT: 176
GPA: 3.32

Responses so far:

In at William & Mary, $24k/yr aid package (in-state tuition + $10k scholarship + $4k assistantship).

In at Minnesota, no word on $

In at UT Austin [in-state], no word on $

In at Northwestern, no word on $ (NU doesn't start giving out money till March)

In at George Washington, $20k/yr merit aid, still waiting to hear about need aid

Still waiting to hear from: pretty much the rest of the T14 below HYS; USC and UCLA; some safeties.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Solistus wrote:Hope you don't mind if I throw my info in this thread as well.

I applied late - Submitted my apps online between Feb 1 and Feb 6. Took the LSAT back in December 2010, but this is my first cycle submitting apps. Graduated from undergrad in 2009, a year and some change in full time work experience after undergrad and some pretty substantial resume gaps as well. My only great 'soft' is that I was a policy debater in college and qualified to the National Debate Tournament. So, TL;DR is older applicant, mixed softs, February submit.

LSAT: 176
GPA: 3.32

Responses so far:

In at William & Mary, $24k/yr aid package (in-state tuition + $10k scholarship + $4k assistantship).

In at Minnesota, no word on $

In at UT Austin [in-state], no word on $

In at Northwestern, no word on $ (NU doesn't start giving out money till March)

In at George Washington, $20k/yr merit aid, still waiting to hear about need aid

Still waiting to hear from: pretty much the rest of the T14 below HYS; USC and UCLA; some safeties.

You're going to get $12k/yr at UT just FYI

User avatar
Solistus
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:23 am

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby Solistus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:15 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:You're going to get $12k/yr at UT just FYI


Is that just a prediction, or do they have a more rigid/standardized approach to aid offers than other schools?

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Solistus wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:You're going to get $12k/yr at UT just FYI


Is that just a prediction, or do they have a more rigid/standardized approach to aid offers than other schools?

Mostly the latter... The GF and I, along with several other in-state splitters on LSN with 170+ LSATs and <3.4 GPAs have all gotten the same amount. It's *possible* you'll get 15k but I'm not sure if they would differentiate between say a 172 and your 176.

User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby jvincent11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:05 pm

x
Last edited by jvincent11 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Applying Late in the Cycle

Postby jvincent11 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 am

x




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], henryyou and 9 guests