Waitlisted at American University Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSInthemix23

New

Waitlisted at American University

Post by LSInthemix23 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:13 pm

I was recently waitlisted at American University and was wondering if anyone has been taken off the waitlist either this year or in past years?

It appears many people are waitlisted at American.....

WL: American
Last edited by LSInthemix23 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSInthemix23

New

Re: Waitlisted at American University

Post by LSInthemix23 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Also, does anyone have any recommendations to get increase my chances?

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:09 pm

They have student information sessions/tours specifically for wait listed applicants. I guess go to that and write them a letter - apparently they appreciate people showing interest.

That said, take a look at American's employment prospects. I was in the same boat as you last year but once I realized that there was a 60%+ chance that 225K would get me no further than the unemployment line, I pulled my name right off. Unfortunately, the other schools that you have listed don't offer much better opportunities either. If I were you (and I was last year) I'd throw in an app to your local TT/TTT state school so you can at least take advantage of reduced tuition costs and in-state ties. If you absolutely hell bent on going to one of the schools that you have listed, forget American. Use the money at Catholic, try to get some from Suffolk (they place decently in Boston and are open to scholly negotiation) with no stips and go to the one that you like more. Don't expect to have a job when you are out but at least your debt will be halved.

ArianFosterNation

New

Post by ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Does anyone actually know if visiting the campus directly affects your possibility of getting off the waitlist? I dont want to spend $400 for a flight to find out that visiting had no bearing on my decision.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:35 pm

ArianFosterNation wrote:Does anyone actually know if visiting the campus directly affects your possibility of getting off the waitlist? I dont want to spend $400 for a flight to find out that visiting had no bearing on my decision.
Don't do it, man. Not trying to be a re-take troll, but since you're on the WL, you won't be getting any $$, and American for like 250K is just crazy. I'm not trying to be condescending, but that much debt from American will most likely cripple you financially.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 pm

slawww wrote:
ArianFosterNation wrote:Does anyone actually know if visiting the campus directly affects your possibility of getting off the waitlist? I dont want to spend $400 for a flight to find out that visiting had no bearing on my decision.
Don't do it, man. Not trying to be a re-take troll, but since you're on the WL, you won't be getting any $$, and American for like 250K is just crazy. I'm not trying to be condescending, but that much debt from American will most likely cripple you financially.

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 pm

TheThriller wrote:
slawww wrote:

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:47 pm

American is the biggest scam school out there. Don't be a sucker. Go to your local TTT on the cheap if you refuse to retake or don't go at all. Your debt needs to be significantly under $100k for this to not be complete financial suicide (just partial).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArianFosterNation

New

Post by ArianFosterNation » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
slawww wrote:
Okay guys relax now. I applied to the MS in Public policy at American in hopes that I would get a dual degree. I have received quite a bit of money from the School of public affairs. I called the WCL financial aid office today and they discussed potential scenarios for me. She told me that considering the fact I applied for need access as well as FAFSA, I would receive a large portion of aid (roughly half) in grant money. I am more optimistic about funding than most. So American is still a legitimate option for me.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:41 am

WhiskeynCoke wrote:American is the biggest scam school out there. Don't be a sucker. Go to your local TTT on the cheap if you refuse to retake or don't go at all. Your debt needs to be significantly under $100k for this to not be complete financial suicide (just partial).
Reminder: the WL/deny/accept threads are not for shitting on schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”