Are All Acceptance Letters the Same?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
born4law

Are All Acceptance Letters the Same?

Postby born4law » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:22 am

Are all law school acceptance letters originated from a standard form letter?

Do different candidates get different letters with different wording depending on what the admissions committee thought of their application?

dproduct

Re: Are All Acceptance Letters the Same?

Postby dproduct » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 am

wat

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 am

This is a stupid question. But,
Mostly the same. Some--Michigan/NYU/Harvard come to mind--will have a small, usually handwritten, addendum. Remember, most places call now, so that's where the fluff comes in.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:29 am

They're usually the same form letter. Some deans write notes on the letter with more personal stuff. I got a few notes from deans in the T14 acknowledging some personal things in my résumé and app. I can't imagine any schools writing individual letters for every student.

born4law

Postby born4law » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:16 am

Haha wow -- I didn't expect the initial crassness this post received, but the information that's panned out in the past few replies has been good.

This makes sense: a standard form letter and addendums/phone calls where appropriate.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:49 am

Its actually a mad lib... they fill in the adjectives and nouns differently based on the strength of each applicant.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:31 am

Since yield-protect is serious business I'm expecting all my acceptance letters come with the dean's signature signed in his/her blood. You know what to do, law schools.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:30 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Its actually a mad lib... they fill in the adjectives and nouns differently based on the strength of each applicant.

Dear Manoftheminute,

Congrats! Based on the ehhh strength of your application, we are drunk to offer you admission to Cooley's Part-Time Law Program. We hope you are as tubthumped as us and that we will see you in the fall to join us as a cashcow for the class of 20,000.

Regrettably,

A Rich Boomer wearing MoonBoots

Wow, that was just as fun as I thought it would be.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Its actually a mad lib... they fill in the adjectives and nouns differently based on the strength of each applicant.

Dear Manoftheminute,

Congrats! Based on the ehhh strength of your application, we are drunk to offer you admission to Cooley's Part-Time Law Program. We hope you are as tubthumped as us and that we will see you in the fall to join us as a cashcow for the class of 20,000.

Regrettably,

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:47 am

TripTrip wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

Dear Manoftheminute,

Regrettably,

If only, man.

kingsfield69

Postby kingsfield69 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:

Dear Manoftheminute,

Regrettably,

This is pure genius.

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:

Dear Manoftheminute,

Regrettably,

born4law

Postby born4law » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:55 am

OK, the snarkiness is through the roof at this point.

The madlib thing was funny. But in all seriousness: if you guys thought I initially meant "a different letter for each and every applicant" that's just ridiculous.

Realistically, it's possible that schools have two or three templates instead of just one. There's perhaps one for a really attractive applicant whose scholarship offer is 2/3 or more. There's perhaps another one for just a regular admit with no scholarship money offered. I mean... this isn't that far-fetched.

<sigh>

I'm just going to wait for that dean's signature in blood... :wink:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:58 am

Sure, they may have different letters based on different levels of aid. But only if they actually talk about the aid in the letter (and it would probably consist of cutting-and-pasting the scholarship paragraphs from some master file into the form acceptance letter). I don't think you can try to read the tea leaves to gauge what the school might be going to give you based on language in an acceptance letter that doesn't give scholarship info - that's way too complicated.

(And if you think this thread is snarky I don't think you've read very much of this site...)

grapefruits

Postby grapefruits » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 pm

born4law wrote:OK, the snarkiness is through the roof at this point.

The madlib thing was funny. But in all seriousness: if you guys thought I initially meant "a different letter for each and every applicant" that's just ridiculous.

Realistically, it's possible that schools have two or three templates instead of just one. There's perhaps one for a really attractive applicant whose scholarship offer is 2/3 or more. There's perhaps another one for just a regular admit with no scholarship money offered. I mean... this isn't that far-fetched.

<sigh>

Oblivious.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:

Dear Manoftheminute,

Regrettably,

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:

Dear Manoftheminute,

Regrettably,

Hahahahah exactly what I had in mind! This looks awfully similar to my NYU letter...

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 pm

I got YP'd at a school and I'm pretty sure most students did not get a letter detailing how grades/LSAT are not the only factor taken into consideration.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 pm

born4law wrote:OK, the snarkiness is through the roof at this point.

<sigh>

wat

born4law

Postby born4law » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:04 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:I got YP'd at a school and I'm pretty sure most students did not get a letter detailing how grades/LSAT are not the only factor taken into consideration.

Alright I'm starting to get it now. I don't blame you all... you're all ascending to a profession where the gatekeepers (law schools) are themselves saying one thing and doing another (with regards to the inclusivity-tinged content of their acceptance letters and the actual basis for admission).

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 pm

One of my acceptance letters had a post-it note from the dean of admissions saying she enjoyed reading about my journey to law school and looked forward to speaking in the future. I think the actual letter itself was pretty standard though.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

born4law wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:I got YP'd at a school and I'm pretty sure most students did not get a letter detailing how grades/LSAT are not the only factor taken into consideration.

Alright I'm starting to get it now. I don't blame you all... you're all ascending to a profession where the gatekeepers (law schools) are themselves saying one thing and doing another (with regards to the inclusivity-tinged content of their acceptance letters and the actual basis for admission).

I found it amusing as well that my softs are at worst average.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”