In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sabanist

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby sabanist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:37 am

bob loblaw11 wrote:I f***ing love this. I'm happy you can go!

edamame wrote:Was just browsing through these threads as a form of procrastination, and saw this. So happy you get to visit, Sabanist! I know how much (could tell how much?) you wanted to. :-)

Thanks you guys! I'm still over the moon.

jselson wrote:I just love that as of today I don't have enough money to scrounge up a deposit, but I'm wealthy enough not to need any aid.

:(
I know that feel. I had to borrow the deposit money from my mom. Once again, tax returns saved the day...
I'm really sorry.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:09 pm

dcg2120 wrote:
Searchparty wrote:Got my aid package as well.
I was assessed to contribute from summer work and assets

However...

They gave a supplemental loan (equal to summer work and asset contr.)+ base loan + grant amount adds up to 78.7k (parents were 0). Why did they give me the supplemental loan to (presumably) cover my contributions? LIPP eligible loans equal base loan plus summer work (meaning if I borrow to make up my assets, it won't be LIPP eligible, but borrowing to cover summer work would be), when I thought only parent contribution borrowing was eligible for LIPP.

At this point, I could technically borrow everything (minus a measly asset contr.) without having to contribute from summer work....

Anyone have any idea why????

Maybe because I was assessed for the minimum summer work contribution because my income won't meet the summer allowance and they don't want to assume i'll actually have that money?

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but: The supplemental+base+grants+student contribution (assets and summer work) should always be equal to your student budget (78.7k). For some, this would mean that the supplemental loan covers parent contribution, but since your parents don't have a contribution you get all that money in your base loan+grant. Since your supplemental loan covers only your summer work + asset contribution, it might not be eligible for LIPP at all, but it should also be very low (and therefore you can just eat the cost by not spending too much $ your 1L year).

But you can check your LIPP loan limit in the "Messages" tab of your financial aid website.

Thanks, but no... Loans + grant = budget. Even though I was assessed for contributions.

Also, most is LIPP eligible (base loan + summer contribution).

Just thought it was kind of weird, but I'm going to guess because summer work contribution isn't a required since I don't make above the summer living allowance, but my assets would be because I clearly possess them.

bob loblaw11

Postby bob loblaw11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Is Harvard's deposit binding? I realize it's non-refundable, but before I can make a final decision I need to hear about aid from another school. Thanks!

zabava

Postby zabava » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:Is Harvard's deposit binding? I realize it's non-refundable, but before I can make a final decision I need to hear about aid from another school. Thanks!

Is that school by any chance Berkeley?
I sent in my deposit to Harvard today w/o hearing from Berkeley aid. I think Harvard is binding, but I didn't read that paper that carefully.
If I get confirmation that they received it before I hear about aid, I'm just going to withdraw, because screw them.

Also, is Harvard University Housing a nice place to live?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:48 pm

zabava wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:Is Harvard's deposit binding? I realize it's non-refundable, but before I can make a final decision I need to hear about aid from another school. Thanks!

I sent in my deposit to Harvard today w/o hearing from Berkeley aid. I think Harvard is binding, but I didn't read that paper that carefully.
If I get confirmation that they received it before I hear about aid, I'm just going to withdraw, because screw them.

I think it is too. I do think the paper said to remove yourself from any schools you have received a decision from, but you can hold on to any pending applications.

I don't know much about housing. Lo siento.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
zabava wrote:

I think it is too. I do think the paper said to remove yourself from any schools you have received a decision from, but you can hold on to any pending applications.

I don't know much about housing. Lo siento.

I don't think waiting to get a decision (admit/reject) is the same thing as waiting to hear about financial aid... why wouldn't you just wait the extra week before the deposit is due?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Depending on mailing options, she may be cutting it close. I personally would feel a little uncomfortable if I hadn't mailed my deposit yet. I'm counting 4 days between the Mailbox-Confirmation of my deposit.

Edit: Too many damn quote boxes.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:07 pm

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:I've already mailed my deposit (and according to tracking, it is in Cambridge, whoohoo!), but someone had to bite the bullet and do it, so I called JD Admissions. According to the guy on the phone, deposit has to be postmarked by May 1, not necessarily received.

Thanks for calling edge.

bob loblaw11

Postby bob loblaw11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm going to wait, and I also might ask for an extension (IS THAT TOO BOLD?!) but the school is Columbia and they've flat out said they may not give me an aid package before May 1st. #champagneproblems

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:12 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:I'm going to wait, and I also might ask for an extension (IS THAT TOO BOLD?!) but the school is Columbia and they've flat out said they may not give me an aid package before May 1st. #champagneproblems

The worst they can tell you is no. I think many schools understand that finances are significant for many folks. I'd say ask for one.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

zabava

Postby zabava » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:
Anyone with questions/concerns, JUST CALL AND ASK. The guy on the phone was super nice! In all of my interactions with the Admissions Office, they have been super nice! They're not going to rescind your acceptance for asking questions.

(disclaimer: I do not actually know if they will rescind your acceptance for asking questions)

Nah, that's totally true. I called them yesterday and basically asked "how do I let you know that I'm coming to HLS" and the nice lady on the phone had to explain to me that only had they sent me a super detailed explanation in the mail, it also came with color-coded envelopes and everything. I feel like there was a question worth rescinding acceptance for, that was it.

(Like I said, I don't read)

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:31 pm

I forgot to turn on my professional voice when I called yesterday, so if they haven't rescinded my offer for my drawl and the audacity to call the JD Admissions staff of one of the most prestigious schools in the country "y'all" about a dozen times, you'll be fine :lol:

ETA: I would probably present it as "I'm really torn and I want to wait for a pending financial aid offer to make sure I'm making the right decision. I have spoken to their financial aid office and they will not expedite a decision. What can I do in this situation?" Shows you're taking the decision seriously, you've tried pushing the other school before calling HLS, and you're open to suggestions. That way it doesn't come off as pushy as bluntly asking for an extension would be.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Last edited by o0o0o0o on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Just sent the oooooool' deposit. A .003% I'll get in off the Stanford waitlist, otherwise I'll be in Cambridge this fall.

aredhello

Postby aredhello » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Just curious -- what are folks thinking in terms of housing? I really wanted to find a studio/1 BR within walking distance of the school, but the prices are just outrageous.

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 pm

aredhello wrote:Just curious -- what are folks thinking in terms of housing? I really wanted to find a studio/1 BR within walking distance of the school, but the prices are just outrageous.

Look in Somerville or Allston.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:Groupius for me - I guess one of perks of being a K-JD is I'm just super pumped about the prospect of having my own space. Even if it is in a 10x10 closet.

Anyone thinking about joining me? I have pictures of the room I stayed in during ASW if anyone wants to see 'em.

I'll be there with you!
Maybe we can be floor roomies :D
/goober

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 pm

aredhello wrote:Just curious -- what are folks thinking in terms of housing? I really wanted to find a studio/1 BR within walking distance of the school, but the prices are just outrageous.

I don't think I can live in a dorm again. Off-campus housing for me.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Just out of curiosity... What have you found for a studio within walking distance?

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 pm

What do you guys consider to be "walking distance"? There are plenty of bedrooms in apartments ~1 mi radius from campus for ~$800. I'm probably taking one of those if I come to H.

Edit: Wasn't thinking about difference between private BR in an apartment and a studio/real 1BR. Looks like studios are a little pricier.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 pm

dcg2120 wrote:What do you guys consider to be "walking distance"? There are plenty of bedrooms in apartments ~1 mi radius from campus for ~$800. I'm probably taking one of those if I come to H.

Walking distances that are acceptable to me are up to 1-1.5 mi. I just checked how far I usually walked in UG and realized I would be okay with this distance.

Edit: In the realm of 20-25 minutes.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Posting this here since I know lotsa people who wrote 250s have stopped checking the Yale threads:

All now that cycles are over/basically over consider posting your Yale 250 in the thread on here. This is one of the few areas that TLS lacks in and we should do our part. For those who are staying on the WL at Yale I'll understand not doing so but for the rest of us, consider contributing to the community.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=68738&start=75

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”