In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:14 am

Please be safe this week Harbros. I really want to turn this thread into a dog thread next week.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Just landed.. Glad I wasn't relying on public transportation... Thank goodness for friends of dads.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Searchparty wrote:Just landed.. Glad I wasn't relying on public transportation... Thank goodness for friends of dads.

Does that mean you took a private jet? i need friends like yours

pixelated

Postby pixelated » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 pm

What is it like in Boston right now? I'm in NYC so I can hop on a bus at any point but unless this guy is caught my family and friends are going to throw a fit if I go near the Boston area. Looks like I'll have to see Cambridge another time...

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 pm

pixelated wrote:What is it like in Boston right now? I'm in NYC so I can hop on a bus at any point but unless this guy is caught my family and friends are going to throw a fit if I go near the Boston area. Looks like I'll have to see Cambridge another time...

I'm pretty sure even coach bus service has been suspended. Additionally, police are going to be conducting a "controlled detonation" in Cambridge this afternoon. Frankly speaking, if you can reasonably make it up there at any other point, there's no reason to travel to Boston right now.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 pm

pixelated wrote:What is it like in Boston right now? I'm in NYC so I can hop on a bus at any point but unless this guy is caught my family and friends are going to throw a fit if I go near the Boston area. Looks like I'll have to see Cambridge another time...

Just wait. See if things settle down.

dcg2120

Postby dcg2120 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I think they've shut down South Station and MegaBus/Bolt aren't running their Boston buses so I think you might be able to get in today anyways. Everything pretty calm out here in Somerville but apparently Cambridge is locked down (no one's supposed to go outside). Anyone else around able to see campus? I was hoping to drop by but I guess it's not an option.

@wannabelawstudent Thanks for thinking of us!

Hope any HLS students reading this are doing OK.

pixelated

Postby pixelated » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:08 pm

nba101790 wrote:

I'm pretty sure even coach bus service has been suspended. Additionally, police are going to be conducting a "controlled detonation" in Cambridge this afternoon. Frankly speaking, if you can reasonably make it up there at any other point, there's no reason to travel to Boston right now.

You're right, buses are suspended. Unfortunately this is the only weekend I can go this semester - things are crazy busy for me the next few weeks leading up to graduation so if I do visit it will have to be after the semester ends...too bad, I really wanted to scope out the housing situation!

Postby 06162014123 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

pixelated

Postby pixelated » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Looks like ASW isn't happening...just got this:

We have continued to monitor the events in the Boston and Cambridge area all morning and Harvard University remains closed at this time. Unfortunately, due to the ongoing uncertainty of the situation, we are asking that you cancel any travel plans you have today. As events unfold, we will continue to send updates about programming for anyone who is already in the area.

We will be in touch very soon with everyone who was scheduled to visit to help set up an individualize visit or connect you with people on our campus if you are unable to reschedule. We have been told that airlines are waiving change fees for travelers flying to Boston—please contact your airline for details.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 pm

Delta is switching flights for no charge for Team Stranded. My hotel let me cancel too (originally was nonrefundable).
I'm heading back home today. I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to meet you guys. And that I paid for a flight I couldn't afford for no reason. :/
Please be safe.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:54 pm

sabanist wrote:Delta is switching flights for no charge for Team Stranded. My hotel let me cancel too (originally was nonrefundable).
I'm heading back home today. I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to meet you guys. And that I paid for a flight I couldn't afford for no reason. :/
Please be safe.

My guess is the HLS reimbursement will still apply even though the ASW events have been derailed. You should still be able to get some (if not all) of the money back. On a more personal note, I'm sorry you (and everyone else planning on visiting this weekend) has to deal with this. Stay safe and hopefully this is all over soon

read2465

Postby read2465 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Last edited by read2465 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm

trojandave wrote:
sabanist wrote:Delta is switching flights for no charge for Team Stranded. My hotel let me cancel too (originally was nonrefundable).
Please be safe.

My guess is the HLS reimbursement will still apply even though the ASW events have been derailed. You should still be able to get some (if not all) of the money back. On a more personal note, I'm sorry you (and everyone else planning on visiting this weekend) has to deal with this. Stay safe and hopefully this is all over soon

I'm going to email them when I get back and see if that's the case. Obviously I'm going to wait until everyone's safe to start hitting people up for cash, but they knew ahead of time I was flying in today.
I'm going to try again to visit sometime this summer. I'm pretty heartbroken that they cancelled the weekend. I don't know if I've ever been so excited about something, and then all of this happened :(

pixelated

Postby pixelated » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:08 pm

sabanist wrote:
trojandave wrote:
Please be safe.

I'm going to email them when I get back and see if that's the case. Obviously I'm going to wait until everyone's safe to start hitting people up for cash, but they knew ahead of time I was flying in today.
I'm going to try again to visit sometime this summer. I'm pretty heartbroken that they cancelled the weekend. I don't know if I've ever been so excited about something, and then all of this happened :(

Agreed :( I was so excited. Visiting in the summer won't be the same. You can still try and schedule an individualized visit this weekend if things get better tomorrow?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:09 pm

... I don't know if I can make a decision without Harvard's ASW. I don't know what to do now. :(

Safe travels home for everyone.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:17 pm

carboncopyx wrote:... I don't know if I can make a decision without Harvard's ASW. I don't know what to do now. :(

You can probably still schedule an individual visit for next weekend.
I was assuming ASW would push me over the edge to send the check in. I likely will anyway.

Alassio

Postby Alassio » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 pm

carboncopyx wrote:... I don't know if I can make a decision without Harvard's ASW. I don't know what to do now. :(

Yea, I wanted to love harvard but I feel like I would be deciding blindly at this point.
And I was so looking forward to meeting fellow admits too

This is all so unfortunate though, especially for those families touched by the tragedy. Being on lock down is a minor inconvenience in comparison

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Feeling for all those of you who are stranded!

Harvard's ASW was great, and it really did help me make my decision (not trying to make you feel bad, just agreeing that it sucks you can't attend), but while the fancy buildings, great professors, and dog and pony show were all great, what actually clinched it for me was the quality of the current and admitted students. While the other aspects of the school can't be as easily trotted out on other weekends, I would really encourage you all to meet up with other applicants in your city to get a sense of the people you would be in class with, and a visit to campus any weekday would give you a good sense of the quality of the students that end up going there. It's not quite the same, but I think it's a pretty good alternative.

Stay safe everyone!

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Alassio wrote:

Yea, I wanted to love harvard but I feel like I would be deciding blindly at this point.
And I was so looking forward to meeting fellow admits too

This is all so unfortunate though, especially for those families touched by the tragedy. Being on lock down is a minor inconvenience in comparison

Just wait it out. It seems like if this thing ends they are still going to try to have something this weekend.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:00 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Made it to my hotel in Cambridge (the Sheraton)

I was going to stay at the same hotel...until I cancelled every single reservation this morning when I became stranded at my starting airport. When I heard taxis were suspended (around 4-5 am), I thought it was pointless to travel at that point. Saved me from a trip to Utah and a longer trip to Boston.

I guess I won't be seeing Harvard soon. :(

Best of luck to those of you in Boston/Cambridge and in getting back home. Stay safe tslers.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:04 pm

So who is here now and actually staying? Just me and MOTM?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:22 pm

wert3813 wrote:So who is here now and actually staying? Just me and MOTM?

It would seem so... Perhaps I should call jet blue and see if I can fly back home :/

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:28 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
wert3813 wrote:So who is here now and actually staying? Just me and MOTM?

It would seem so... Perhaps I should call jet blue and see if I can fly back home :/

Maybe I'm incredibly naive and I can totally understand why they had to tell people not to come, but I don't see how the city will be shut down again tomorrow. Either they will find him today or they wont, but you can't just shut down a major metropolitan city indefinitely. If the city opens up I think (based on the wording of the email) they will try to do something this weekend and not just cancel.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”