In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bbsg

Re: In at Harvard: Class of 2016

Postby bbsg » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 pm

edgeofthenight wrote:
TrustInMusic wrote:Been looking at housing arrangements, and I think Hastings is my favourite. Can't decide between the 1-BR or 2-BR suites though.
I don't mind the 2-BR suites, since the common rooms look pretty huge, and being social is always a nice thing. It's also cheaper. But then again, 1-BRs are probably more convenient and privacy is always good too. What is everyone else thinking?

Groupius for me. I'm honestly excited - I've had roommates for four years and I'm just super pumped about finally having my own space, however small it may be. I stayed there over ASW (I took pictures of the room if anyone wants to see it) and it is small, but I can definitely live with it (perks of being a K-JD, I still have all of my dorm storage bins and such). I wish I had the option of having my own kitchen (I stress bake/cook...), but that isn't an option in Hastings or North, so might as well take the cheaper option.

Can you send me the pictures?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 pm

carboncopyx wrote:Has anyone successfully leveraged another school's finaid package and gotten HLS to match? I have a feeling my package from HLS will be significantly less than what I just got from YLS...

Why would you expect them to alter your award just because you got a different offer somewhere else?

I may be missing something, but I thought HLS's process is entirely need-based.

(By the way, your post implies that several congratulations are in order: Congratulations!)

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 pm

LexLeon wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:Has anyone successfully leveraged another school's finaid package and gotten HLS to match? I have a feeling my package from HLS will be significantly less than what I just got from YLS...

Why would you expect them to alter your award just because you got a different offer somewhere else?

(By the way, your post implies that several congratulations are in order: Congratulations!)

It is need based, but reports are that they will "reevaluate need" in light of a better S or Y offer. I've heard they match and I think it will work. Good luck Carbon!

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:49 am

trojandave wrote:
LexLeon wrote:

It is need based, but reports are that they will "reevaluate need" in light of a better S or Y offer. I've heard they match and I think it will work. Good luck Carbon!

This was confirmed at the march asw.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:37 am

In response to a previous conversation about professors & other HLS contacts emailing you... I'm just now getting those emails from various professors... Despite doing the survey ~ month ago... So if you were disappointed that you weren't contacted, it could be lagging behind your survey :)

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 am

Searchparty wrote:In response to a previous conversation about professors & other HLS contacts emailing you... I'm just now getting those emails from various professors... Despite doing the survey ~ month ago... So if you were disappointed that you weren't contacted, it could be lagging behind your survey :)

yeah i just got a ton of them now. it took more than a month for me too. (THEY FINALLY LOVE ME! THEY FINALLY LOVE ME!)

Alassio

Postby Alassio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 pm

No one has contacted me yet :(

I really want to love Harvard, but I hope this is not indicative of the way they do things

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Alassio wrote:No one has contacted me yet :(

I really want to love Harvard, but I hope this is not indicative of the way they do things

These things clearly come out in waves. Mine came today too and there have been 4 already. When did you do the survey? I'm sure you're in the next group

mommalee

Postby mommalee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 pm

I got mine today as well and I filled out the survey in mid February.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Also you are checking your HLS email right?

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 pm

I filled out the survey during the first week of February. I still hadn't received anything this weekend, so I emailed them yesterday to make sure they actually received my survey. Today, I received 4 emails...

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:22 pm

o0o0o0o wrote:I filled out the survey during the first week of February. I still hadn't received anything this weekend, so I emailed them yesterday to make sure they actually received my survey. Today, I received 4 emails...

I wonder if your emai served as a reminder... "oh yeah let's just get them all out right now"

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Searchparty wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:I filled out the survey during the first week of February. I still hadn't received anything this weekend, so I emailed them yesterday to make sure they actually received my survey. Today, I received 4 emails...

I wonder if your emai served as a reminder... "oh yeah let's just get them all out right now"

Yeah, it felt like that, but who knows, haha

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:59 pm

When it rains, it pours. Got a flurry of emails today..I was wrong, I can be even more excited about H.

Alassio

Postby Alassio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 pm

wert3813 wrote:

Also you are checking your HLS email right?

yes. all the time.

by "them," do you mean jdadmissions?

EDIT: nevermind, just email jdadmissions if you haven't heard
Last edited by Alassio on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alassio

Postby Alassio » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm

haha! just got a flurry of emails (emailed jdadmissions this morning)!

so what happened? did they just forget? I'm so confused (mostly I dont know how to interpret this. I'm afraid I got lost in the hundreds of people they admit. is this gonna keep on happening??)

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:26 pm

I've gotten 6 emails total today so far, my financial aid submissions have been received, things are gettin' real.

volp

Postby volp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:58 pm

i didnt even fill out the survey and i got a bunch of emails haha. but i was pretty explicit in my app about the kind of law i'm interested in, so there's that. did anyone get an email from dean minow?

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:05 pm

volp wrote:i didnt even fill out the survey and i got a bunch of emails haha. but i was pretty explicit in my app about the kind of law i'm interested in, so there's that. did anyone get an email from dean minow?

You mean outside of her usual, "What was that salmon recipe you gave me? / When are we gonna catch that Pats game? / I miss you..." type messages? Nope.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I emailed a few admitted students for Admissions and none of them emailed me back.

Ya'll need to step your networking game up.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I emailed a few admitted students for Admissions and none of them emailed me back.

Ya'll need to step your networking game up.

If you're a girl on the Law Review I'm about to hit you up

gertie

Postby gertie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:13 pm

callmemaybe84 wrote:
sabanist wrote:Y'all March ASWers said they weren't too terribly strict about the 10 day deadline for travel subsidy requests, right?
I totally forgot to mail mine out yesterday, which would have been the deadline.

You're fine. I was late and turned it in and was approved (though I still haven't gotten reimbursed, but I expected a couple month delay).

Were you approved for the full amount that you requested or paid for your transportation?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Finish this sentence:

April ASWers as someone who went to March ASW I'm telling you to make sure you check out/pay attention to/ask about/go to...

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Wormfather wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Finish this sentence:

April ASWers as someone who went to March ASW I'm telling you to make sure you check out/pay attention to/ask about/go to...

Focus on Negotiation!

Long live Theotis!

And more helpfully, if you actually want to check out all the campus housing, be there right at the start of the housing presentation and head straight to dorms thereafter--I just had time to do all of them before the next scheduled activity, and I know some people missed one or two of them.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:02 pm

Wormfather wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Finish this sentence:

Focus on Negotiation!

+1.

also arrive early to the faculty lunch if you want a spot with the superstar profs.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”